2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Johnson was overhyped IMO, which is why he slid.
Johnson contracted to 2025, foot injury aside he's tracking just fine.

Peel Thunder coach Geoff Valentine on highly-rated draftee Matt Johnson after his best game at WAFL level​

Peel Thunder coach Geoff Valentine says Fremantle have drafted a “wonderful” player in Matt Johnson after his breakout WAFL performance against East Perth on Saturday.

The smooth-moving Subiaco product was one of the best players on ground in the 53-point win, using the ball with class and composure in the wet as he continues to build towards an AFL debut.

The 19-year-old kickstarted the Thunder’s game with a stunning long-range goal from inside the centre square in the opening two minutes and finished with a season-high 25 disposals, six tackles and six inside 50s.

WATCH THE GOAL IN THE PLAYER ABOVE

Valentine felt Johnson, who’s been gradually building after a long-term foot injury derailed his first pre-season at Cockburn, had all the attributes to make it at the top level.

“He does some elite things. He’s going to be wonderful player, I’ve got absolutely no doubt about that,” Valentine said.

“He’s got that ability to move through traffic but keep going forward and use the football.

“He’s highly skilled, a wonderful athlete and a really nice young fella as well.

Fremantle Dockers training - Matthew Johnson, Lachie Schultz
Matt Johnson at Freo training. Credit: Tom Fee/Fremantle FC
“He’s just got to keep building and putting runs on the board but he’s certainly tracking in the right way.

“Freo have got a good one there, there’s no doubt and it.”

Valentine said Johnson’s time would come from an AFL berth is he keeps doing what he’s doing.

The 191cm midfielder was one of the shocks of the national draft last year when he slid to the second round despite interest inside the top 10.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...ows-us-to-reflect-on-amazing-career-c-7713466

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...ows-us-to-reflect-on-amazing-career-c-7713466

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Johnson contracted to 2025, foot injury aside he's tracking just fine.

Peel Thunder coach Geoff Valentine on highly-rated draftee Matt Johnson after his best game at WAFL level​

Peel Thunder coach Geoff Valentine says Fremantle have drafted a “wonderful” player in Matt Johnson after his breakout WAFL performance against East Perth on Saturday.

The smooth-moving Subiaco product was one of the best players on ground in the 53-point win, using the ball with class and composure in the wet as he continues to build towards an AFL debut.

The 19-year-old kickstarted the Thunder’s game with a stunning long-range goal from inside the centre square in the opening two minutes and finished with a season-high 25 disposals, six tackles and six inside 50s.

WATCH THE GOAL IN THE PLAYER ABOVE

Valentine felt Johnson, who’s been gradually building after a long-term foot injury derailed his first pre-season at Cockburn, had all the attributes to make it at the top level.

“He does some elite things. He’s going to be wonderful player, I’ve got absolutely no doubt about that,” Valentine said.

“He’s got that ability to move through traffic but keep going forward and use the football.

“He’s highly skilled, a wonderful athlete and a really nice young fella as well.

Fremantle Dockers training - Matthew Johnson, Lachie *smile*
Matt Johnson at Freo training. Credit: Tom Fee/Fremantle FC
“He’s just got to keep building and putting runs on the board but he’s certainly tracking in the right way.

“Freo have got a good one there, there’s no doubt and it.”

Valentine said Johnson’s time would come from an AFL berth is he keeps doing what he’s doing.

The 191cm midfielder was one of the shocks of the national draft last year when he slid to the second round despite interest inside the top 10.

Building.
Not conclusive by any stretch if he’s the difference in drafting Hopper or not

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Building.
Not conclusive by any stretch if he’s the difference in drafting Hopper or not
I tip my lid to those who nominated van Rooyen as a viable pick 17, that call looks to be good (well done Scoop & any others who made the call). I'm still sticking by man however, no buyers remorse at this early stage.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ashcroft just has to touch the ball and he gets a free. 2 in a row that were barely there.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Vic Country coach shouldn't have taken Knobel off. Changed the course of clearances.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
Ty Vickery in the Metro coaching staff. I didn't pick him as a future coach.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Was fun to watch, some real talent on display. Vic Country the better side on the day IMO but some sloppy stuff i50 cost them.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
That was a belter of a game. Really high standard.

Cadman is a star. After Ashcroft, he'd be my next player taken. Can't see West Coast or GWS letting him go. And Jefferson isn't far behind him. Both look like so promising. Both have work rate, get up the ground and back.

Trying to avoid the obvious mids, the two others that really grabbed my attention were Binns and Edmund. AFL kicking and time in traffic. Binns could be a damaging rebounder like Caleb Daniel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users