2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Taking on bowes salary to get an 18 yo

Would be like remortgaging your house and putting 20% on mystery bets in the melbourne cup.
Taking on Bowes & grabbing pick 7 (to go with pick 12) is such a low ball risk I can't believe there's so much resistance. Even if you don't rate the draftees you could probably pay for Taranto and keep your existing picks intact.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Taking on Bowes & grabbing pick 7 (to go with pick 12) is such a low ball risk I can't believe there's so much resistance. Even if you don't rate the draftees you could probably pay for Taranto and keep your existing picks intact.
Taking Bowes and pick 7 would mean we lose either pick 12 or 19. There are strings attached.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Taking Bowes and pick 7 would mean we lose either pick 12 or 19. There are strings attached.
Even if we lost pick 19 I would still do it, 7 & 12 is such a powerful hand, particularly in a draft where clubs are open to diluting their picks.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Apart from the clinical side of this debate and the fact that if we were to do it there is no guarantee that Cadman would still be there at pick seven. How about we consider what impact this might have on the playing group as a whole.
- They lose a mate for an inferior player and a pick
- They watch us bring in a seconds player on big money
- The money paid to Bowes lessens the pool for the rest
- We may be creating a situation where we have better players on less money
- What impact does Bowes salary have on future salary negotiations. Are we setting a bench mark starting point for all future contracts.

If you think all players will understand or even care why we are paying Bowes so much and be happy to earn less as a result then I think that’s misguided.

Remember what paying Rioli and BT massive contracts and expecting the rest of the group to suck it up cost us? Well it was the catalyst for 37 years of misery.

Extreme example I know, but we aren’t just dealing with spreadsheets and how we can do a deal, we’re taking about human beings, with human emotions. How does such a deal fit the Richmond Man culture? It’s sounds more like the Greame Richmond man culture

Quoted for truth.

As fun as it might be, way more to building a great team/club/culture than throwing names/trades around like it's an XBOX management game.

For all the reasons you outlined Cooper, getting in on the Bowes trade comes with some real warning signs/red flags.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Quoted for truth.

As fun as it might be, way more to building a great team/club/culture than throwing names/trades around like it's an XBOX management game.

For all the reasons you outlined Cooper, getting in on the Bowes trade comes with some real warning signs/red flags.
Hang on a second, yesterday Geelong were gods, now they're X-Box pretenders? A bit like the each way bet on Bowes as a player, on one hand he's a crap reserves grade player but when it comes to renegotiating his contract he's suddenly the ants pants who wouldn't want to extend his existing deal. The narrative here is so confused & inconsistent, but whatever, you lads quite content to burn 2 years of draft picks without any coherent plan to bring some quality key position talent to the club. Not only that but you fawn over Dad's Army but when I mention players like Grundy you get all ageist.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Hang on a second, yesterday Geelong were gods, now they're X-Box pretenders? A bit like the each way bet on Bowes as a player, on one hand he's a crap reserves grade player but when it comes to renegotiating his contract he's suddenly the ants pants who wouldn't want to extend his existing deal. The narrative here is so confused & inconsistent, but whatever, you lads quite content to burn 2 years of draft picks without any coherent plan to bring some quality key position talent to the club. Not only that but you fawn over Dad's Army but when I mention players like Grundy you get all ageist.
People don't want to believe that Geelong are the best in the business but they are.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Even if we lost pick 19 I would still do it, 7 & 12 is such a powerful hand, particularly in a draft where clubs are open to diluting their picks.
In this scenario we don't get Taranto and Hopper, close our window for the next several years, and risk losing Shai.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Its not confusing to me in the least. Anyone all-in on Bowes hasn't seen much of him, and is underestimating the cultural and financial and list management cost of having a grossly overpaid VFL player/ list clogger.

And we aren't "burning" draft picks, we are trading them. And 'content' is a silly choice of words. you don't get quality players for free, that is the price, as in all things in life, if you want something, you pay the price. Simple. And I have confidence the club has a coherent plan. Went to the draft last year, trade to plug a critical gap this year, back to the draft next year. And besides, yes we need some more young KPF talent, there is no doubt that is true, but it isn't the critical alarm-bells need some are making out. We have one of the best if not the best key forward in the game and a superb foil in jack.

A lot of hard work and strategic thought has gone into this trade.

Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Jeez, according to Brenton Sanderson anyone who is lucky enough to get Jack Bowes is getting an exceptional player with leadership written all over him :unsure: and GC giving up pick 7 as well o_O, that seems a sizeable contrarian view to those above.

PS: Sanderson has just apologized for going over the top on Bowes:ROFLMAO:

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Just forget about Bowes - can we and will we pay $750k for pick 7? Thats the real question, is Cadman, Busslinger, Jefferson, Phillipou worth this investment if yes go ahead if no forget it. I will leave it up to the Club.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Bully are you happy to accept Taranto and Hopper are coming ? If so, please outline a tangible draft / trade plan that is realistic and accommodates what you want, satisfies GWS and the salary cap. I would love to see it.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Its not confusing to me in the least. Anyone all-in on Bowes hasn't seen much of him, and is underestimating the cultural and financial and list management cost of having a grossly overpaid VFL player/ list clogger.

And we aren't "burning" draft picks, we are trading them. And 'content' is a silly choice of words. you don't get quality players for free, that is the price, as in all things in life, if you want something, you pay the price. Simple. And I have confidence the club has a coherent plan. Went to the draft last year, trade to plug a critical gap this year, back to the draft next year. And besides, yes we need some more young KPF talent, there is no doubt that is true, but it isn't the critical alarm-bells need some are making out. We have one of the best if not the best key forward in the game and a superb foil in jack.

A lot of hard work and strategic thought has gone into this trade.
You do get quality players for free, it's called free agency, a great way to get midfielders in particular. I've seen enough of Bowes to feel he's a rough shot for best 22, I've also noted the Gold Coast's inability to nurture talent. Bowes is a pretty good kick, a touch one paced but not glacial slow. If he fails no drama, you get the spoils of pick 7 to enjoy for a decade. Good luck to Geelong, excellent play & if they land a key position talent out of it then they have read the circumstances beautifully. The draft is back in vogue & so it should be, the Cats not just one trick ponies by the looks of things.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Bully are you happy to accept Taranto and Hopper are coming ? If so, please outline a tangible draft / trade plan that is realistic and accommodates what you want, satisfies GWS and the salary cap. I would love to see it.
Hopper is worth about 19 & a player as it stands, if that goes for pick 7 then we bundle 12 & next year's first for both Taranto & Hopper, done deal & let's see if we can maximise the value of 7 with a bit more horse trading.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

Leysy's post was purely agreeing with Cooper who rightly points out there are internal (cultural, list mgmnt, team harmony etc) ramifications that internet nuffies like you and me from the outside wouldn't know the potential impact of.

Blair (alongside Beatson and Wells) is among the best in the business at this caper. He'll know what is best for the club (if in fact it is at all possible cap wise).

And not sure where Geelong or Grundy come into your reply. They are nothing to do with taking someone like Bowes (and his contract) on, which is what the post was about.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
In this scenario we don't get Taranto and Hopper, close our window for the next several years, and risk losing Shai.
So Griffen Logue was going to destabilise the club as well? I would say the wages would be roughly comparable.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Hopper is worth about 19 & a player as it stands, if that goes for pick 7 then we bundle 12 & next year's first for both Taranto & Hopper, done deal & let's see if we can maximise the value of 7 with a bit more horse trading.
Who is the player? Who do GWS want. Will the player go there. Do we have the salary cap space. Logue chose North because we weren’t offering him much.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Leysy's post was purely agreeing with Cooper who rightly points out there are internal (cultural, list mgmnt, team harmony etc) ramifications that internet nuffies like you and me from the outside wouldn't know the potential impact of.

Blair (alongside Beatson and Wells) is among the best in the business at this caper. He'll know what is best for the club (if in fact it is at all possible cap wise).

And not sure where Geelong or Grundy come into your reply. They are nothing to do with taking someone like Bowes (and his contract) on, which is what the post was about.
Geelong are frontrunners for Bowes, they clearly see the benefits that I'm outlining. Whoever gets pick 7 will be beautifully placed & I will be watching these developments with added interest now that the PRE crowd have made their collective feelings known.

I mentioned Grundy because most people here dismissed him due to age, the same people are now hailing Geelong's approach as the holy grail, which is it?