2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
My original post wasn’t directed at you specifically.
I also rated Prestia very highly as I do with Taranto

Not pointing the finger at either of you guys but i recently read through first hundred or so pages of the prestia thread (who from my posting you will see how much i love the guy, before and after the trade), its interesting reading, many folks on the board at the time didnt rate him flat out, as well as obviously his injuries concerns.

TT is a different player but i agree he was moved out of midfield due to his versatility, his best footy is as a mid and thats obviously where we will be playing him. I personally think he will improve with bigger crowds and a better team (culture and game plan) around him. Im very happy with this trade and think we get Dennis for cheaper as they wanted picks for their trade period as leverage, think it will be F1 and Soldo, Dennis is a bull and something with Cotch being his last year is absolutely needed.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Reading the Prestia thread, you’d have thought that trade and giving up pick 6 was apocalyptic at the time.

Jon Ralph was saying last night the club knows Taranto’s strengths and weaknesses (eg kicking) and that acquiring him is based around a broader plan that frees others up to play their roles better eg Dusty, Bolton etc.

Nothing’s without risk, and it’ll take a few years to assess the end outcome, but happy to back Blair and co in again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Does anyone have intel on Joshua Sukuroski (Claremont Colts) 196/90 plays as a CHB but kicked 6 goals in a recent match. Smokey or pass?
Someone that size would be very handy if we can get them through the door

I’m not even opposed to a mature age big fella goal kicker as a rookie to buy time for Ryan

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
In saying that bully he avenged the same disposal efficiency as a Oliver and Petracca even Bont.
Oliver sets the standard for contested work, 18 touches a day, Taranto closer to 10, that's the concern for me. Those other guys not far behind Oliver & it's worth noting Petracca & Bont are running players, Taranto isn't a noted galloper. If his contested work was higher you make allowances but the numbers as they stand don't stack up.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
What are people's thoughts on Sam Conway and Harry Boyd as cheap backup ruck options if we loose Soldo in the Hopper trade ?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What are people's thoughts on Sam Conway and Harry Boyd as cheap backup ruck options if we loose Soldo in the Hopper trade ?
You can pluck a back up ruck from numerous state leagues, I like Boyd. He’s the one of the two I’d look at.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’ve watched Harry Boyd a few times and as a rookie pick I’d have a go, just a workhorse warrior but the good thing is he’s mobile enough to plug as a key forward. SANFL team of the year and Jack Oatey (Norm Smith equivalent) this year.

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Oliver sets the standard for contested work, 18 touches a day, Taranto closer to 10, that's the concern for me. Those other guys not far behind Oliver & it's worth noting Petracca & Bont are running players, Taranto isn't a noted galloper. If his contested work was higher you make allowances but the numbers as they stand don't stack up.
Given he plays fwd, i am curious as to what the # is when he plays as an inside mid?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

If your gonna go all out in the comparisons Bully,

You might as well do a 'fend-offs' head to head

Between Dusty and our Tazza.

Or maybe hit outs against Max Gawn?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
So we have pick 30. Jaxon Binns or Harry Lemmey.
Interesting. We have a greater positional need with Lemmey but Binns looks a less risky/more sure option. I go with Binns and set him up to be our future, uber hard running wingman in the mould of Langdon. Kmac is 29 next year and there’s question marks around Ralphsmith. Maybe Banks can fill it but not sure he’s got the tank. Clarke maybe but doesn’t seem we’re setting him up for that role. Binns.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Interesting. We have a greater positional need with Lemmey but Binns looks a less risky/more sure option. I go with Binns and set him up to be our future, uber hard running wingman in the mould of Langdon. Kmac is 29 next year and there’s question marks around Ralphsmith. Maybe Banks can fill it but not sure he’s got the tank. Clarke maybe but doesn’t seem we’re setting him up for that role. Binns.

If we get the Hopper deal done and keep 30, I could see us being slightly more aggressive and punting on Lemmey. From all reports, Lemmey was very good in the SANFL reserves finals series this year. The Leemey story arc kind of reminds me of Jack Darlings minus the off-field drama, average year as a top age but all the talent. Had Covid during the year as well. Think Darling had a skull fracture and maybe glandular fever? And we know big blokes take longer, 199cm 94kgs is a good starting point. If we took him at 30 and he fails, I'd be ok with it in principle. And this is food for thought.

The 199cm prospect missed Rounds 1 and 3 of the SANFL league season due to health and safety protocols, booting two goals from nine disposals and five marks against Central District in between. He then didn’t play in Round 4 against Norwood as he was a travelling emergency, returned in Round 5 to finish goalless from two disposals then was played in the Reserves last weekend where he had 0.1 from nine disposals.

However club recruiters are wary that Lemmey’s 2022 campaign to date has been severely interrupted, with multiple protocols-related absences also sidelining him from training.

Recruiters still believe Lemmey – a terrific size for a key forward with strong hands and an efficient kick – is the top key-position prospect of this year’s class.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dr...y/news-story/69e9fdfefa360eabc0a2aff9756305ab

For a big man his kicking action is so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
If we get the Hopper deal done and keep 30, I could see us being slightly more aggressive and punting on Lemmey. From all reports, Lemmey was very good in the SANFL reserves finals series this year. The Leemey story arc kind of reminds me of Jack Darlings minus the off-field drama, average year as a top age but all the talent. Had Covid during the year as well. Think Darling had And we know big blokes take longer, 199cm 94kgs is a good starting point. If we took him at 30 and he fails, I'd be ok with it in principle. And this is food for thought.

The 199cm prospect missed Rounds 1 and 3 of the SANFL league season due to health and safety protocols, booting two goals from nine disposals and five marks against Central District in between. He then didn’t play in Round 4 against Norwood as he was a travelling emergency, returned in Round 5 to finish goalless from two disposals then was played in the Reserves last weekend where he had 0.1 from nine disposals.

However club recruiters are wary that Lemmey’s 2022 campaign to date has been severely interrupted, with multiple protocols-related absences also sidelining him from training.

Recruiters still believe Lemmey – a terrific size for a key forward with strong hands and an efficient kick – is the top key-position prospect of this year’s class.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dr...y/news-story/69e9fdfefa360eabc0a2aff9756305ab

For a big man his kicking action is so good.

Fair enough position. Its a close call.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
His efficiency in his B&F year was 59%, that year was predominantly midfield duties.

I know you are comparing this to players like Mitchell, but in that 2019 year, he kicked the ball more than he handballed (16.5 kicks to 11.2 handballs). Not once in his career has Mitchell kicked more than he has handballed, its his one wood and certainly helps his DE%.

I would say that with our style of player, we want players to kick more than they handball, handballing aside from opening up the corridor isn't big for us, we tend to either handball through the corridor to get our half backs into the game, or we kick long.

Reactions: 1 user