2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I know you are comparing this to players like Mitchell, but in that 2019 year, he kicked the ball more than he handballed (16.5 kicks to 11.2 handballs). Not once in his career has Mitchell kicked more than he has handballed, its his one wood and certainly helps his DE%.

I would say that with our style of player, we want players to kick more than they handball, handballing aside from opening up the corridor isn't big for us, we tend to either handball through the corridor to get our half backs into the game, or we kick long.

12.4 kicks versus 13.4 kicks, not much in it, you could probably adjust the overall efficiency to close the gap a smidgeon but they are still roughly on par with one another.

Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Midfield​
Position​
Midfield, Forward​
Career Games​
114​
Claremont​
Origin​
Sandringham Dragons​
May 31, 1993​
Date of Birth​
January 28, 1998​
29yr 4mth​
Age​
24yr 8mth​
182cm​
Height​
188cm
83kg​
Weight​
89kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #21​
Last Draft Position​
Round 1, Pick #2​
Last Drafted By​
Career​
Stats for Season​
Career​
Games​
114​
12.4​
Kicks​
Handballs​
10.0​
Disposals​
23.4​
Marks​
3.9​
0.4​
Goals​
0.4​
0.4​
Behinds​
Tackles​
5.3​
0​
Hitouts​
0​
3.5​
Inside 50s​
0.5​
Goal Assists​
0.5​
Frees For​
1.0​
Frees Against​
1.0​
Contested Possessions​
9.5​
Uncontested Possessions​
13.4​
Effective Disposals​
14.9​
71.5%
Disposal Efficiency %​
63.7%​
3.5​
Clangers​
0.1​
Contested Marks​
0.3​
Marks Inside 50​
0.3​
Clearances​
4.0​
1.7​
Rebound 50s​
1.7​
0.7​
One Percenters​
Bounces​
0.1​
Time On Ground %​
81.5​
Centre Clearances​
1.4​
Stoppage Clearances​
2.6​
Score Involvements​
5.1​
Metres Gained​
333.8​
Turnovers​
5.0​
Intercepts​
2.6​
Tackles Inside 50​
0.8​

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Mitchell likes his dinky sideways kicks too, would be interesting to see his metres gained per match

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
‘Waste the remaining years’.
For the last two years we have been expected to make top 4. This year we were rather lucky to finish the H&A in 7th.

There are no guarantees that two good players, one with all sorts of health red flags, are going to make us fortified against ‘wasting’ years.

You are also forgetting the development we might expect from the great field of Mids and other utilities, we were dealt last year.

I agree we should be after both GWS players but giving away a future Ist is still not a good move by any measure.
Unfortunately, the group f junior mids we took whilst we were Kings are all looking to be busts by the look of it.

Looks a bit like we tried to be clever and missed the target.

Hence we now need to plug the gaps with senior players, whilst the juniors we got last year get up to speed.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Mitchell likes his dinky sideways kicks too, would be interesting to see his metres gained per match
380 metres gained

290 metres gained

436 metres gained

Tom Mitchell also bounces the ball more than Taranto.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
If we get the Hopper deal done and keep 30, I could see us being slightly more aggressive and punting on Lemmey. From all reports, Lemmey was very good in the SANFL reserves finals series this year. The Leemey story arc kind of reminds me of Jack Darlings minus the off-field drama, average year as a top age but all the talent. Had Covid during the year as well. Think Darling had a skull fracture and maybe glandular fever? And we know big blokes take longer, 199cm 94kgs is a good starting point. If we took him at 30 and he fails, I'd be ok with it in principle. And this is food for thought.

The 199cm prospect missed Rounds 1 and 3 of the SANFL league season due to health and safety protocols, booting two goals from nine disposals and five marks against Central District in between. He then didn’t play in Round 4 against Norwood as he was a travelling emergency, returned in Round 5 to finish goalless from two disposals then was played in the Reserves last weekend where he had 0.1 from nine disposals.

However club recruiters are wary that Lemmey’s 2022 campaign to date has been severely interrupted, with multiple protocols-related absences also sidelining him from training.

Recruiters still believe Lemmey – a terrific size for a key forward with strong hands and an efficient kick – is the top key-position prospect of this year’s class.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dr...y/news-story/69e9fdfefa360eabc0a2aff9756305ab

For a big man his kicking action is so good.

Would he even last to pick 30???

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
380 metres gained

290 metres gained

436 metres gained

Tom Mitchell also bounces the ball more than Taranto.

Have a look at it by disposal. Mitchell may have gained an average of 436m in 2019 but that was from 35 disposals. There us around about a 25% higher metres gained per disposal from Taranto compared to Mitchell, its just that Mitchell gets a lot of nothing possessions that he handballs off. I look at impact per possession too (score involvements per possession) and Mitchell doesn't rank that well.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Have a look at it by disposal. Mitchell may have gained an average of 436m in 2019 but that was from 35 disposals. There us around about a 25% higher metres gained per disposal from Taranto compared to Mitchell, its just that Mitchell gets a lot of nothing possessions that he handballs off. I look at impact per possession too (score involvements per possession) and Mitchell doesn't rank that well.
That may be an area in which Taranto is superior but is it worth the extra draft capital? I'm not so sure, I sure feel uneasy about losing 12, 19, 31 & a future first. If we happen to have a rotten run next year the pain will be immense, it simply has to be finals next year, failure to do so will sting & it will be hard to justify these outlays. But on the bright side, if we finish top 4 then the cost won't be extravagant, so much hinging on our 2023 season, the stakes couldn't be higher.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
That may be an area in which Taranto is superior but is it worth the extra draft capital? I'm not so sure, I sure feel uneasy about losing 12, 19, 31 & a future first. If we happen to have a rotten run next year the pain will be immense, it simply has to be finals next year, failure to do so will sting & it will be hard to justify these outlays. But on the bright side, if we finish top 4 then the cost won't be extravagant, so much hinging on our 2023 season, the stakes couldn't be higher.
Bully of course missing the finals would be a disaster. It would be a disaster even without getting these two players.

But you have to admit the inclusion of Taranto and Hopper makes us look ten fold more even and dangerous. A glaring weakness is solved, plus it allows our two biggest weapons in Martin and Bolton to play at that mid/forward role where they are most damaging.

Reactions: 2 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Bully of course missing the finals would be a disaster. It would be a disaster even without getting these two players.

But you have to admit the inclusion of Taranto and Hopper makes us look ten fold more even and dangerous. A glaring weakness is solved, plus it allows our two biggest weapons in Martin and Bolton to play at that mid/forward role where they are most damaging.
Yes, it does look a truckload better, the 2023 team on paper is one I'd expect to be highly competitive. The problem is the fact we need a couple of young forwards, that issue needs to be addressed & I fail to see how we can draft one next year with our current hand. Now that Lemmey is effectively out of reach we'll just have to hope there's a free agent lined-up, the responsibility all rests with Hartley now.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don’t know anything about the kids at all but by the way it is looking our recruiting team are going to be looking for players in the picks in the 40s and above. It’s a great test for them because whilst there are plenty of busts at those picks there are draft steals as well.
I’ve seen it said that all the work the team has done on the draft seems a waste when our picks are being traded away but it seems to me that in many ways it is a greater test for them to find the hidden gems

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Yes, it does look a truckload better, the 2023 team on paper is one I'd expect to be highly competitive. The problem is the fact we need a couple of young forwards, that issue needs to be addressed & I fail to see how we can draft one next year with our current hand. Now that Lemmey is effectively out of reach we'll just have to hope there's a free agent lined-up, the responsibility all rests with Hartley now.
I see no reason why Samson can’t play a very big role from next year but more so in 2024. He is perfectly being groomed as that forward who can also play ruck. Bauer is still an unknown quantity and we are yet to see the exact make up of the Hopper deal.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I don’t know anything about the kids at all but by the way it is looking our recruiting team are going to be looking for players in the picks in the 40s and above. It’s a great test for them because whilst there are plenty of busts at those picks there are draft steals as well.
I’ve seen it said that all the work the team has done on the draft seems a waste when our picks are being traded away but it seems to me that in many ways it is a greater test for them to find the hidden gems
Yep, this year will tell us whether Clarke is a master of the bargain bin.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I just feel that the draft capital is better on selecting a player that suits our style of play. The more damaging disposal, more kicking rather than sideways handballing, and therefore more territory taken will suit our game style a lot more than Mitchell, and you are paying for that and as Smoking says the ability to play Martin and Bolton in that mid forward role. Having these 2 rolling through the midfield could mean that both Bolton and Martin could kick 40 goals each next year if they stay fit. Add that to goals from Lynch, Jack and Cumbo and our forward line looks so potent. I also think having players that play similar styles to Cotch and Prestia means we can rotate those inside mids in a better way than we managed this year (through games as much as between games) and get the most out of them.

The trade capital may look high on an individual player basis but I think the overall benefit we will get across the team will more than outweigh that.

The risks and issues with the lack of quality young talls is absolutely an issue but it may be difficult to address both requirements and IMO the midfield quality is the most important area to address to keep us in the Premiership window whilst we have the quality that we do in our lineup.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I see no reason why Samson can’t play a very big role from next year but more so in 2024. He is perfectly being groomed as that forward who can also play ruck. Bauer is still an unknown quantity and we are yet to see the exact make up of the Hopper deal.
Let's hope so, I haven't seen enough of him to make sound judgement but I'll take your word for it.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I just feel that the draft capital is better on selecting a player that suits our style of play. The more damaging disposal, more kicking rather than sideways handballing, and therefore more territory taken will suit our game style a lot more than Mitchell, and you are paying for that and as Smoking says the ability to play Martin and Bolton in that mid forward role. Having these 2 rolling through the midfield could mean that both Bolton and Martin could kick 40 goals each next year if they stay fit. Add that to goals from Lynch, Jack and Cumbo and our forward line looks so potent. I also think having players that play similar styles to Cotch and Prestia means we can rotate those inside mids in a better way than we managed this year (through games as much as between games) and get the most out of them.

The trade capital may look high on an individual player basis but I think the overall benefit we will get across the team will more than outweigh that.

The risks and issues with the lack of quality young talls is absolutely an issue but it may be difficult to address both requirements and IMO the midfield quality is the most important area to address to keep us in the Premiership window whilst we have the quality that we do in our lineup.
Agree

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We have found plenty of gems late in the draft. Ones that have become premiership players. Broad was a pick 67!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
I'm a Binns man. Mainly because I've seen him live, BOG v Allies at the Gabba. And I'm generally best available all the way.
Good thing is Jaxon is already a Tiger man. And his old man will have a stiffy that cuts wood if he ends up with us.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
We have found plenty of gems late in the draft. Ones that have become premiership players. Broad was a pick 67!

Since 2014 our drafting of later picks has been fantastic, picks below were after 40 (including the rookie drafts).

2014 - Drummond, Butler, McKenzie, Short, Castagna, Lambert, Arnot, Soldo
2015 - Markov, Broad, Moore, Chol, Marcon
2016 - Graham, Garthwaite, Stengle
2017 - Miller, Baker
2018 - Ross, Turner, English, Aarts
2019 - Cumberland, Martyn, Hugo, Biggy
2020 - Ryan, Rioli
2021 - None

Thats a pretty damn good list, we seem to be good at finding some of those gems. I'd be happy if we ended up taking 3 or 4 players after 40. I'd back Clarke into doing something similar to what he's done above.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Broad was a 2015 draftee, I think Clarke has done well with Baker, that pick had a lot of new age bling, we need more of those gems coming through. Cumberland another good pick, totally different style to Jackson, particularly in the rookie draft. We used to milk the state leagues more, I wonder if it's more to do with the mid season draft scooping up all the main talent, that makes a fair bit of sense. The problem Clarke now faces is he's effectively the last line of defence for sourcing a key forward, I would hope he's got someone up the sleeve this year, need to get this show rolling immediately.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Since 2014 our drafting of later picks has been fantastic, picks below were after 40 (including the rookie drafts).

2014 - Drummond, Butler, McKenzie, Short, Castagna, Lambert, Arnot, Soldo
2015 - Markov, Broad, Moore, Chol, Marcon
2016 - Graham, Garthwaite, Stengle
2017 - Miller, Baker
2018 - Ross, Turner, English, Aarts
2019 - Cumberland, Martyn, Hugo, Biggy
2020 - Ryan, Rioli
2021 - None

Thats a pretty damn good list, we seem to be good at finding some of those gems. I'd be happy if we ended up taking 3 or 4 players after 40. I'd back Clarke into doing something similar to what he's done above.
That’s a fair list.

That’s 10 premiership players in that list.

And you forgot Grimes who was a pre-season draft pick.

So make that 11.