2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Thought Walters is GC Academy.
He is supposed to be incredibly quick. Richo quick.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Thought Walters is GC Academy.
He is supposed to be incredibly quick. Richo quick.
Thats why I said I'd like to know testing results, to the eye he looks big, strong, quick, good tank, and effective. I haven't really seen a fault. I would have bet he was top age, so that is a surprise.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our current picks are 11, 19, 29.

Those three picks if we keep them should fill some list holes. A key forward and 2 prolific ball winners.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Reckon we'll trade at least one of them, Smokin.
Reckon it's 11 but we will hope its 19.

If we keep 19. I can so Harry Lemmey looming large despite him struggling a bit this year and we go mid at 29.

Doesn't really solve the midfield issue long-term. Hopper or TImmy T + Lemmey + mid.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Reckon it's 11 but we will hope its 19.

If we keep 19. I can so Harry Lemmey looming large despite him struggling a bit this year and we go mid at 29.

Doesn't really solve the midfield issue long-term. Hopper or TImmy T + Lemmey + mid.
Yeh that high production inside mid free agent becomes crucial. If we did grab one of the GWS fellas it would be tall forwards and someone like munkara for me to round it out and/or the slider inside mid. You can’t have enough class.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I know its sacrilege, but would we trade with the Bombers (points for them), to get us up the order in the 2nd round.

Assuming we trade our 1st and our 2nd next year (maybe getting a 3rd back depending on where our 1st falls), could we trade our 2nd upto the Bombers 2nd and give them something for a points benefit, or trade a player that might suit them, maybe a Miller . RCD (if they are gullible) type.

It would be a good trade period if we could get Taranto, then follow up in the draft with Lemmey and 1 of D'Aloia or Hollands.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Just had a look at photos of Ginbey. Looks like a big strong Clayton Oliveresque lump. Just what we need.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What first round draft pick are we going to end up with?

If the wheels fall off completely it might even be the dreaded pick 6.

There's a few midfielders that might be available, who do you like? Ginbey is another who I like that's not listed below.

4. Elijah Hewett (Western Australia - Swan Districts)

Hewett is a strong ball winning midfielder who displays power when exiting stoppages and is damaging every time he secures the ball forward of centre. With good speed, agility and evasion, Hewett mixes this with damaging skills by foot whether he is locating and hitting inside 50m targets or finishing around goal himself. A big game player who routinely stars on the big stage, Hewett was arguably best afield in his first Under-18 Championships performance for Western Australia in their loss to Victoria Metro with game highs of 29 disposals, 11 inside 50s, five score assists and an equal team high of two goals.
June Ranking: 7

5. George Wardlaw (Victoria Metro - Oakleigh Chargers)

A contested beast who does his best work at stoppages, Wardlaw is a strong first possession winner who displays the strength to absorb opposition tackles, fend off opponents and burst out of stoppages. Wardlaw is an impressive distributor at stoppages who routinely finds targets on the outside by hand. Defensively, Wardlaw is this draft's most impressive with the pressure he applies, strength of his tackles and effort and desperation he plays with setting him apart. In the AFL Academy vs. Collingwood game, Wardlaw had a team high 15 contested possessions to go with eight tackles, in a game where he was the AFL Academy's standout performer in the second half. Wardlaw has been unavailable for selection in recent weeks due to a hamstring injury but is expected to be back for the latter rounds of the Under-18 Championships.
June Ranking: 5

6. Elijah Tsatas (Victoria Metro - Oakleigh Chargers)

With an established reputation for the ease with which he breaks the lines with his run, evades opponents on the move and precisely places his kicks out in front of targets to lead onto, Tsatas is one of this draft's most exciting offensive players. Tsatas has elevated his game this year to become one of the NAB League's most prolific ball winners and accumulators. Tsatas amassed a ridiculous 36 disposals and 18 contested possessions and 42 disposals and 15 contested possessions in Round 2 and 3 of the NAB League season. With the damage Tsatas does with ball in hand and with his ball winning capabilities, he is one of this year's premier midfielders and is in the conversation with Ashcroft, Wardlaw and Sheezel to be the first picked Victorian midfielder. Due to a foot injury Tsatas has been unavailable for selection in recent weeks and is expected to return for the latter rounds of the Under-18 Championships.
June Ranking: 6

Elijah Tsatas of the Chargers is expected to be selected high in the 2022 draft. Daniel Pockett/AFL Photos/Getty Images
7. Cameron Mackenzie (Victoria Metro - Sandringham Dragons)

A St Kilda Next-Generation Academy midfielder, the Saints will not have first access to Mackenzie if a bid comes inside the top 40. One of the most complete, balanced and damaging midfielders in this draft, Mackenzie earns his spot on this draft board on the back of his strong play in recent months and a standout display for Victoria Metro in their first two Under-18 Championships matches. The talented midfielder amassed 28 disposals, 13 contested possessions, six inside 50s and two score assists for Victoria Metro in their first game and 28 disposals, five clearances and one goal in their second. While Mackenzie is a strong ball winner, he has spent much of his year on the receiving end at stoppages of Ashcroft's distribution by hand. Mackenzie displays quickness and evasion, often receiving on the move at speed. With time and space, Mackenzie is one of the most damaging by foot of this year's top end midfielders, with his kick placement out in front of targets one of space his greatest weapons. On the outside, Mackenzie is often found linking up with teammates and reading the play and pushing behind the ball for timely intercept marks.
June Ranking: Outside top 20

8. Kobe Ryan (South Australia - West Adelaide)

One of 2022's most advanced midfielders, Ryan is a strong contested ball winner who does his best work around stoppages. While Ryan's first possession winning at stoppages is among the best in the draft, he is a lively tackler and displays good speed and agility. There is an inside/outside balance to Ryan's game and while a lot of the ball he wins is contested, he also covers a lot of ground and finds enough of the ball on the outside where he displays neat and tidy skills. After a strong start to the season, Ryan has transitioned to SANFL League level seamlessly and has averaged 19.7 disposals across his first three games.
June Ranking: 9

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Has anyone raised Jed Walters? Watched all the Allies games, Gabba v Vic Country live, I'm interested. 194, solid and rangey, plays strong and aggressive, takes a big mark forward, kicked 9 goals over the 4 games, get involved up the ground. I'd be interested to know what his pace and agility is like, seems OK to me on viewing, has a good step for a big man. Bit of Charlie Curnow about him. Suns academy so they'll probably take him.

Yeah 2023 draft.

Runs a 2.85 20m. When he hits the gas, you think your eyes are bung. Hes huge and has courage and great mitts

Inconsistent and prone to some 2nd effort laziness, but hes a 17yo monster and he contributes on the scoreboard even when hes poor.

If he improves even slightly, GC will have to pay a first rounder next year IMO.

Unless he starts dealing coke in Cavill Av, theres simply zero chance he plays for anyone but gold coast

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I want to tell you an interesting story, names withheld.

An AFL club takes an interest in an indigenous kid from NT

They fly him down for a few games and he has essentially zero professionalism - hes a completely uneducated footballer.

A bloke i know roomed with him before a big game,

And the kid had a litre of caffeine sugar drink Mother at midnight, because he couldnt sleep. First 500ml can didntwork, so he has another one!

Needless to say, he didnt perform.

Anyway, to club credit, they recognises it, puts him an intensive club immersion for a fortnight

Week 1 game, hes lost still,

Week 2 game, he looks like a second rounder.

Hell of a trajectory

Makes you realise how much talent, especially indigenous, falls through the cracks

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Wouldn't trade any of our picks try to get another early one put a big name on the table.Target great kicks of the footy again like last year.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

This is a snippet from one game. This boys numbers are impressive at SANFL. Have been all year.

Shades of Bont, shades of Erasmus from last year, the big tall mobile mid. I’ve spoken about him a bit, I’m a fan. Big fan.

And has a late December birthday. Barely scrapes into this draft. That counts, might have another 3-5 cms growth in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

This is a snippet from one game. This boys numbers are impressive at SANFL. Have been all year.

Shades of Bont, shades of Erasmus from last year, the big tall mobile mid. I’ve spoken about him a bit, I’m a fan. Big fan.

And has a late December birthday. Barely scrapes into this draft. That counts, might have another 3-5 cms growth in him.

Whats your thinking about the trade / draft period? Hopper? Or keep the pick for the draft?

I'd also like to find a way to get another pick (or upgrade our 2nd) to an early 20's pick. The Lions or Essendon picks would be nice to get hold of some how.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
No way Hewett goes as late as pick 12. Interesting to see Twomey has my boy Ginbey at 10 - ideal candidate for us if we keep our first, unless Cadman is somehow still there.