2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
I thought then and still do now that Banks and Brown are basically the same players. We needed JVR as a key forward.

We are still looking for that player today.
With Geelong, Sydney also about to take him,was seen as a likely AFL type.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'd take Cadman and Reid (if eligible) before Ashcroft. North are mad if they get rid of pick 1. They've got mids. Get Cadman.

Reactions: 2 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
I want Sydney to win on saturday, Clubs will then blow up about the Academy rules where change is long overdue. the NGA's are now pretty much useless as Clubs can no longer gain top end talent from their own academies given how the rules changed for 1 but not the other.
Fully agree,the Sydney academy is bulllsshit,they try out 1000s of kids from young teens, then whittle it away until quality academy kids at 16-18 come through,and even worse is that if a academy prospect like both mills heeney get called out at any pick even pick 1,Sydney get a 20% discount at whatever pick is called.
If Sydney win flag ,they have pick 18,but Sydney academy prospect is called at pick 6 by St Kilda,Sydney matches and pays roughly pick 10 in points,it's absolutely a rort by biast afl

Reactions: 1 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I'm still not sure, part of me is wanting to get a forward in whilst Jack is still playing but part of me is saying we should hold fire and see how next year's crop unfolds. Tough one but I suppose if you give that choice to GWS you take the guesswork out to some degree. If we can somehow get Taranto & Hopper plus Jefferson/Keeler we have done well, that would be my aim at this stage. Throw in Knobel & Lemmey & I'm starting to feel a bit more bullish about the future.

1. Cadman (4-8)
2. Jefferson (8-15)
3. Keeler (12-20)
4. Knobel (30-60)
5. Lemmey (30-60)
6. Foster (40-rookie)
7. Verral (40-rookie)
8. Bradtke (60-rookie)

I've bumped Lemmey because I've decided to heavily weight 2021, I still don't know the reasons for his poor state carnival but Buddy & Darling also suffered from second year blues so it does happen with key forwards. I've spent some time analysing his physicality & he's a bit tougher than his state form would suggest, this isn't a McBean situation I'm pleased to say, pack marking not a feature but he's not afraid to stand his ground and will take the knocks with players chopping off his leads. Not quite as robust as van Rooyen but there is something to work with. His set shot kicking is lovely to watch when on song (see 2021), field kicking not elite but not terrible. He averaged 3 intercepts a game during his stints in defence, that's solid enough, Himmelberg the plawyer I'm visualising (again).............

Yes agree mate really depends if we keep pick 19 for me if not we need either Foster ,Lemmey and Knobel any 2 of them we have done well. Don't discount Bradtke or Verral to.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If I'm the Saints I'd be doing it. Trade Hill to North for a future 3rd. use that salary cap space to take Bowes and Pick 7, take an extra top 10 pick they weren't expecting to the draft. They need quality on that list.
But they will pick duds. They always do.
Billings before Bompmytelly
With 2 top 10 picks they missed McNaughton and picked Coffield & Clark.
Useless club. Should relocate to Siberia

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
The academy's are to generous lions ,sun's, swans and gws. Sydney and gws rort it like someone said a player has a sniff in Victoria is allocated to them same goes for Queensland covered by the Lions and Sun's.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'd take Cadman and Reid (if eligible) before Ashcroft. North are mad if they get rid of pick 1. They've got mids. Get Cadman.
I'd just take him at 2, reckon WCE might anyway but GWS will for sure. But you are dead right, North need the forward.

I'm less sure about where Jefferson lands, think Essendon go pure mid (Clark), GC take Sheezel to replace Rankine, Hawthorn go mid, and maybe GC grab him but more likely Bussinger.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Cadman has 10 years at CHF written all over him.

Reid has superstar written all over him.

I think Ashcroft will be a star, but vanilla as far as stars go, if that makes sense. At worst he'll be a good player, but he may come back to the pack a bit at senior level. He's no Nick Daicos.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Cadman has 10 years at CHF written all over him.

Reid has superstar written all over him.

I think Ashcroft will be a star, but vanilla as far as stars go, if that makes sense. At worst he'll be a good player, but he may come back to the pack a bit at senior level. He's no Nick Daicos.
That's why I suggested bundling 12 & 19, I don't think it's as crazy as it sounds. In any case, if you are North you have to take, get the bookends in early and the rest should unfold in a systematic way.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Lemmey was really underwhelming at the champs ,his effort for someone so highly rated was poor,l wouldn't touch him even with a bummers pick.
Be interesting to see what picks we end up with ,but seeing we tried to get Logue as well,l would expect a Kp would be one of our selections.
Tanking ??

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Fully agree,the Sydney academy is bulllsshit,they try out 1000s of kids from young teens, then whittle it away until quality academy kids at 16-18 come through,and even worse is that if a academy prospect like both mills heeney get called out at any pick even pick 1,Sydney get a 20% discount at whatever pick is called.
If Sydney win flag ,they have pick 18,but Sydney academy prospect is called at pick 6 by St Kilda,Sydney matches and pays roughly pick 10 in points,it's absolutely a rort by biast afl
Might well be *smile* from where we are looking, but there's got to be some way that the AFL can keep building the game in NSW and QLD. Keeping at least one side finals competitive every year in these states is crucial to developing a truly national comp over time.
AFL will never get to NRL levels in these states but there needs to be a genuine pathway n comp developed in these two states.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'd just take him at 2, reckon WCE might anyway but GWS will for sure. But you are dead right, North need the forward.

I'm less sure about where Jefferson lands, think Essendon go pure mid (Clark), GC take Sheezel to replace Rankine, Hawthorn go mid, and maybe GC grab him but more likely Bussinger.
Deez might be looking at Jefferson

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
12 and 19 is not getting you a top-5 pick
I made the comment when he was ranked 6 on a few draft boards, at the time it looked doable, now not so much. I also stated it would be better than using those picks on Taranto, nothing has changed in that regard.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
No love on here for Tsatis.
Looks elite to me
Elite outside players are risky biz, I see the attraction but I think you are better playing it safe with top 5 picks. Where do I start? Polec, Cale Morton, Fiora, O'Brien, Toumpas etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
No love on here for Tsatis.
Looks elite to me
I have at least 6 ahead of him. Maybe 8.

Cam Mackenzie is the one I'm not really sure of. Can someone point me to a game he looks a million dollars in? I haven't seen it. Better judges than me have him in the top 5.

Reactions: 2 users