2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Bowes is B grade but best 22, I would offer him 3-4 years to spread the pain a bit, or one could just take the existing deal & backload the others. Operation Cadman is goal, over & above Taranto & Hopper, bookends first!

No use having good key forwards if our midfield continues on its current path. Need midfielders now

So in a pure business sense, without emotion attached to current players, would this make sense?

Trade Graham to one of the SA clubs. To Port for pick 8 (will be pick 9 after Ashcroft bid) for Graham and pick 30.makes Graham worth pick #22ish OR to Adelaide for pick 5 (6) for Graham and pick 19. Makes Graham worth pick #22ish. Adelaide have pick 23

Frees up cap space to take on Bowes and get pick 7. Assume Suns will want a later pick

Idea is to end up with 3 1st round picks and use one on Taranto and one on Hopper

We then have a top 10 pick this year and our first next year.

Just throwing the thought up there. Expect smarter posters than me will dismantle that thought

Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Richmond fans - Pies are paying McStay $600K a year :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Richmond fans - Lets bring Bowes in for $600K a year :bash

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Richmond fans - Pies are paying McStay $600K a year :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Richmond fans - Lets bring Bowes in for $600K a year :bash
I don’t think we need or will get Bowes but whoever takes him will probably do what Freo did with Brodie and contract him for 3 seasons at $1.2m ie $400k a season.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I don’t think we need or will get Bowes but whoever takes him will probably do what Freo did with Brodie and contract him for 3 seasons at $1.2m ie $400k a season.
Brodie's contract at the Suns was $400K a year, you can't change it.
Bowes has two years at 'heavily back-ended' - $600K+

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Brodie's contract at the Suns was $400K a year, you can't change it.
Bowes has two years at 'heavily back-ended' - $600K+
For a player like Bowes who must be contemplating football oblivion, the sweeteners required would be minimal, stretching that out for 3 years hardly destabilising. And don't overlook the fact that Gold Coast have always been poor developers of talent, see Brodie, there's even an outside chance Bowes becomes a core player. And in all honesty, I'd rather have a potential midfielder/rebounder than a small forward, we have that position licked with MRJ & Judson.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
For a player like Bowes who must be contemplating football oblivion, the sweeteners required would be minimal, stretching that out for 3 years hardly destabilising. And don't overlook the fact that Gold Coast have always been poor developers of talent, see Brodie, there's even an outside chance Bowes becomes a core player. And in all honesty, I'd rather have a potential midfielder/rebounder than a small forward, we have that position licked with MRJ & Judson.
It's two years not three, you can't stretch it. He's already been low-balled two years, he's not 30-35 years old and he's doing it to win a flag, he's 24 and wants the remainder of his contract the last two years.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
It's two years not three, you can't stretch it. He's already been low-balled two years, he's not 30-35 years old and he's doing it to win a flag, he's 24 and wants the remainder of his contract the last two years.
Bowes won't want a cellar dweller, we're in pole position, he's owed 1.6 million so give him 2 million spread over 4 years, he'll be little more than a delisted free agent when his time is up so it's not a particularly difficult sell.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Bowes won't want a cellar dweller, we're in pole position, he's owed 1.6 million so give him 2 million spread over 4 years, he'll be little more than a delisted free agent when his time is up so it's not a particularly difficult sell.
We have a salary cap, it's blatantly lucirous to give a player $2M for the heck of it.
And he's on two years, not four, he's already played two years at low-ball money, he's not stupid to do another two for peanuts.
We are not the Richmond of old that bring in rubbish and blow money for nothing.
We have really good players coming out of contract end of next year.
We need cap space to keep them, one is from W.A. where a West Coast would probably be able to afford to bring him in.
The less we spend on rubbish the more we have to keep the best.
You want to keep Bolton and Balta or get another Reserves player in while they go elsewhere?

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
We have a salary cap, it's blatantly lucirous to give a player $2M for the heck of it.
And he's on two years, not four, he's already played two years at low-ball money, he's not stupid to do another two for peanuts.
We are not the Richmond of old that bring in rubbish and blow money for nothing.
We have really good players coming out of contract end of next year.
We need cap space to keep them, one is from W.A. where a West Coast would probably be able to afford to bring him in.
The less we spend on rubbish the more we have to keep the best.
You want to keep Bolton and Balta or get another Reserves player in while they go elsewhere?
These are the players who will probably be departing the club over the next 2-3 years (or on modified contracts) -

Cotchin
Grimes
Riewoldt
Lynch
Prestia
Dusty
Pickett

Tons of cap space up the sleeve, if it's for a key forward you bend over backwards, no need for dodgy McStay deals.

It's interesting watching this debate unfold, on one hand Bowes is a reserve grade dud but suddenly his value skyrockets when talking about his potential contract in two years. Which is it? Is he a dud or is he a required player who will be playing AFL at the age of 27?

Have a tilt at Cadman, make it this year's priority, the path is there for those brave enough to do a Bowes type deal.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
These are the players who will probably be departing the club over the next 2-3 years (or on modified contracts) -

Cotchin
Grimes
Riewoldt
Lynch
Prestia
Dusty
Pickett

Tons of cap space up the sleeve, if it's for a key forward you bend over backwards, no need for dodgy McStay deals.

It's interesting watching this debate unfold, on one hand Bowes is a reserve grade dud but suddenly his value skyrockets when talking about his potential contract in two years. Which is it? Is he a dud or is he a required player who will be playing AFL at the age of 27?

Have a tilt at Cadman, make it this year's priority, the path is there for those brave enough to do a Bowes type deal.
No one is talking about his potential contract after two years. There's no skyrocketing value.
We are talking about what he has to be paid next year and 2024, something to the value of $1.2M-$1.6M.
We do not have the salary cap to be paying a Reserves player that type of money for nothing.
May as well tell RCD, Dow, Martyn - Hey after we pay him for joining you in the reserves, you're next up or a big contract!!
We are slaying the Suns for giving him a contract he's not worth, and next minute we're 'Hold my Beer' - putting our hands up - Hey that contract sucks, but we'll pay it!! Are we serious here.

Lynch is 3-4 years away, Dusty 3, Pickett 3, Prestia 2-3.
Just Cotch, Grimes and Jack most likely to go in the next two years.
And don't bet on Cotch finishing end of next year ;)

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
No one is talking about his potential contract after two years. There's no skyrocketing value.
We are talking about what he has to be paid next year and 2024, something to the value of $1.2M-$1.6M.
We do not have the salary cap to be paying a Reserves player that type of money for nothing.
May as well tell RCD, Dow, Martyn - Hey after we pay him for joining you in the reserves, you're next up or a big contract!!
We are slaying the Suns for giving him a contract he's not worth, and next minute we're 'Hold my Beer' - putting our hands up - Hey that contract sucks, but we'll pay it!! Are we serious here.

Just like I said, 2-3 years away, Lynch will be the one on a modified contract. PRE struggling to see the value of draft picks, not just in this instance but also with the talk of trading 3 top 20 picks for Taranto/Hopper. Need to examine the house that Frank built, there is a way to build with careful attention to scarcity, if four picks in the top 20 is so easily dismissed then I'm not down with the new paradigm.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think what Bully is saying is we don't "need" to pay him that money over 2 years, it can be averaged over 3-4 years, with an extra couple. eg. statements are his wage is somewhere between $1.2m and $1.6m over the next 2. If you add say 2 more years at $250k / year (if he has been given indication that he will be a DFA at the end of year 2 then this security may be useful), so then you are looking at $1.7m-$2.1m over 4 or $425k-$525k / year.

Its a feasible strategy, but whether we would have scope to tie up our cap with a player that probably will not play much AFL for that sum of money is questionable, especially when bringing in Hopper and Taranto. Its the opportunity cost that you lose by doing it, that may just be too impactful for us.

Caps about $12m right? So its about 3.5%-4% of your cap on a player that you don't really want. I suspect if we were to bring in Hopper / Taranto, in order to do that trade, it may mean we need to trade someone out in order to cover that wage.

It could be a good option (but I don't see an option of getting a Cadman etc), and could mean we only give up 1 pick for Taranto. Lets say its Pick 7 for Taranto, and 12 for Hopper, then we keep next years 1st and Pick 19, but we may need to trade someone out, though we did try and get Logue in for around $500k, so maybe we do have cap space and could then entertain this deal.

A deal where we get Pick 7 and Bowes for Pick 30 might work. Essentially Taranto and Bowes for Pick 30.

Reactions: 2 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
I think what Bully is saying is we don't "need" to pay him that money over 2 years, it can be averaged over 3-4 years, with an extra couple. eg. statements are his wage is somewhere between $1.2m and $1.6m over the next 2. If you add say 2 more years at $250k / year (if he has been given indication that he will be a DFA at the end of year 2 then this security may be useful), so then you are looking at $1.7m-$2.1m over 4 or $425k-$525k / year.

Its a feasible strategy, but whether we would have scope to tie up our cap with a player that probably will not play much AFL for that sum of money is questionable, especially when bringing in Hopper and Taranto. Its the opportunity cost that you lose by doing it, that may just be too impactful for us.

Caps about $12m right? So its about 3.5%-4% of your cap on a player that you don't really want. I suspect if we were to bring in Hopper / Taranto, in order to do that trade, it may mean we need to trade someone out in order to cover that wage.

It could be a good option (but I don't see an option of getting a Cadman etc), and could mean we only give up 1 pick for Taranto. Lets say its Pick 7 for Taranto, and 12 for Hopper, then we keep next years 1st and Pick 19, but we may need to trade someone out, though we did try and get Logue in for around $500k, so maybe we do have cap space and could then entertain this deal.

A deal where we get Pick 7 and Bowes for Pick 30 might work. Essentially Taranto and Bowes for Pick 30.
Apart from the clinical side of this debate and the fact that if we were to do it there is no guarantee that Cadman would still be there at pick seven. How about we consider what impact this might have on the playing group as a whole.
- They lose a mate for an inferior player and a pick
- They watch us bring in a seconds player on big money
- The money paid to Bowes lessens the pool for the rest
- We may be creating a situation where we have better players on less money
- What impact does Bowes salary have on future salary negotiations. Are we setting a bench mark starting point for all future contracts.

If you think all players will understand or even care why we are paying Bowes so much and be happy to earn less as a result then I think that’s misguided.

Remember what paying Rioli and BT massive contracts and expecting the rest of the group to suck it up cost us? Well it was the catalyst for 37 years of misery.

Extreme example I know, but we aren’t just dealing with spreadsheets and how we can do a deal, we’re taking about human beings, with human emotions. How does such a deal fit the Richmond Man culture? It’s sounds more like the Greame Richmond man culture

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Apart from the clinical side of this debate and the fact that if we were to do it there is no guarantee that Cadman would still be there at pick seven. How about we consider what impact this might have on the playing group as a whole.
- They lose a mate for an inferior player and a pick
- They watch us bring in a seconds player on big money
- The money paid to Bowes lessens the pool for the rest
- We may be creating a situation where we have better players on less money
- What impact does Bowes salary have on future salary negotiations. Are we setting a bench mark starting point for all future contracts.

If you think all players will understand or even care why we are paying Bowes so much and be happy to earn less as a result then I think that’s misguided.

Remember what paying Rioli and BT massive contracts and expecting the rest of the group to suck it up cost us? Well it was the catalyst for 37 years of misery.

Extreme example I know, but we aren’t just dealing with spreadsheets and how we can do a deal, we’re taking about human beings, with human emotions. How does such a deal fit the Richmond Man culture? It’s sounds more like the Greame Richmond man culture
Agree. Cadman will go before 7.