2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Apart from the clinical side of this debate and the fact that if we were to do it there is no guarantee that Cadman would still be there at pick seven. How about we consider what impact this might have on the playing group as a whole.
- They lose a mate for an inferior player and a pick
- They watch us bring in a seconds player on big money
- The money paid to Bowes lessens the pool for the rest
- We may be creating a situation where we have better players on less money
- What impact does Bowes salary have on future salary negotiations. Are we setting a bench mark starting point for all future contracts.

If you think all players will understand or even care why we are paying Bowes so much and be happy to earn less as a result then I think that’s misguided.

Remember what paying Rioli and BT massive contracts and expecting the rest of the group to suck it up cost us? Well it was the catalyst for 37 years of misery.

Extreme example I know, but we aren’t just dealing with spreadsheets and how we can do a deal, we’re taking about human beings, with human emotions. How does such a deal fit the Richmond Man culture? It’s sounds more like the Greame Richmond man culture

We certainly need to be aware of the opportunity cost of actually doing that deal (and there would be one). Ie. does it affect our culture, if we are paying some dud a lot of money, how does that sit with the likes of Jack / Cotch who are playing on unders.

I don't know if we can do it, or even if we would but the opportunity exists and with all opportunities, there is also an opportunity cost of not doing it.

Bullus uses the argument of opportunity cost when not taking our picks to the draft, similarly there is an opportunity cost of not doing a trade for accomplished mids like Hopper and Taranto.

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Agree 100%. And it feels slightly early for Jefferson in this class. At 7 you could get another elite mid for sure.
West Coast will be looking for a Key Forward for the future.

Norf will too surely and I wouldnt count out Gee Whiz or the Drugs, Suns, Hawks or Kochies going for him.

I dont think he gets to 7 if he's as highly rated as those in the know here are saying.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
West Coast will be looking for a Key Forward for the future.

Norf will too surely and I wouldnt count out Gee Whiz or the Drugs, Suns, Hawks or Kochies going for him.

I dont think he gets to 7 if he's as highly rated as those in the know here are saying.
His climb continued after Thursdays game. So too did Jefferson’s imo.

Whilst appropriately rated a bit behind Cadman, (he’s not as good at ground level or defending), Jefferson still competes real well in the air and has this strange Silvagni-like awkwardness and unpredictabllity to him that just keeps getting a result.

He’ll take time to develop - he’s still very underdone physically right now - but in 3 years time he’s gonna be pretty useful out of the goal square.

Instead of a 10-12 range Jefferson might be 8-10 now I reckon. He might have some big upside or development in him longer term.

Reactions: 4 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Not sure about the Player Ratings list, one thing I have noticed is a lot of stuff that was free & readily available has gone AWOL. I thought it was to do with covid but it's still thin on the ground. The NAB league stats have been watered down so much I had to jump on a few opposition sites last year, that's how I got word on Goater's KE being 85% in NAB league, biggest heist with the video editing, well done Giantroo, Goater got to his club of choice, nice piece of chicanery.
It's odd given the increasing interest in this area (or maybe i am just 1 of a kind on that regard). I just need a base rating to get to after the stats are put in for certain abilities such as marking, kicking etc. It's deeply frustrating. I may have to settle for "ave AFL fantasy pts" but that tends to value accumulation over impact as the "AFL Player Ratings" did.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If you're Norf with pick 1, why wouldn't you take Cadman?
If you're West Coast with pick 2, why wouldn't you take Cadman if he's there?
Who has 3? Giants? Why wouldn't they take Cadman?
Bombers at 4. Cadman.
Gold Coast will probably get pick 5 in the Rankine trade. Cadman and King. Woah.
Hawfs at 6. Cadman.

I don't think we're getting Cadman.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bombers at 4. Cadman.
Gold Coast will probably get pick 5 in the Rankine trade. Cadman and King. Woah.
Hawfs at 6. Cadman.

West Coast have already stated they are willing to split pick 2, if they win the Jackson bid then it makes perfect sense for Richmond to step in. North are already on record stating they are open to diluting their pick, this probably less likely but again we can laugh at their incompetency with a dedicated #lolnorf thread but they are suddenly geniuses if it suits the argument of the day.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
If we were to do it we'd have to get the GWS deals done 1st, otherwise they'll be asking for 7 as part of the deal. Then any way to package a deal for 2 or 3 would be well & truly out of the equation.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
His climb continued after Thursdays game. So too did Jefferson’s imo.

Whilst appropriately rated a bit behind Cadman, (he’s not as good at ground level or defending), Jefferson still competes real well in the air and has this strange Silvagni-like awkwardness and unpredictabllity to him that just keeps getting a result.

He’ll take time to develop - he’s still very underdone physically right now - but in 3 years time he’s gonna be pretty useful out of the goal square.

Instead of a 10-12 range Jefferson might be 8-10 now I reckon. He might have some big upside or development in him longer term.
great stuff, I've liked Jefferson more every time i;ve seen him.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bombers at 4. Cadman.
Hawfs at 6. Cadman.

Spooker agreed if hes that good a prospoect he aint getting to 7. as most iof those youve mentioned need a Key Forward.

Last edited:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Spooker if hes that good a prospoect he aint getting to 7. as most iof those youve mentioned need a Key Forward.
If he's that good Norf are taking him at 1, if not WCE at 2 as he's the prefect Kennedy replacement.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He’s apparently quite an intelligent kid. Bit of a thinker. Witty.

Nothing significant. Take it FWIW, just thought I’d pass it on.
He reminds me a bit of young Richo the way he moves.

Real gangly colt on ice skates but every now and again he looks graceful.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just like I said, 2-3 years away, Lynch will be the one on a modified contract. PRE struggling to see the value of draft picks, not just in this instance but also with the talk of trading 3 top 20 picks for Taranto/Hopper. Need to examine the house that Frank built, there is a way to build with careful attention to scarcity, if four picks in the top 20 is so easily dismissed then I'm not down with the new paradigm.
Geelong just showed draft picks are overrated.

As trade capital, they hold more value than actual picks.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think people tend to forget our 2017-2020 period started in 2007/2008.
And this newgen era started in 2016 with Bolton.
Then 2017 with Balta
Agree with the sentiment that the list build is a long game

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Corey Tregenza has kicked 4 of Peel's 7 goals against Subiaco in the colts prelim final, 7 goals 8 to 7 goals 5. in the 3rd quarter. Might be worth a late pick as he was playing country footy last year.

Edit

Ended up with 5 goals 1, from 15 disposals and 10 marks.

Last edited:

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Ashcroft will go no 1,North you would think will take the pressure off there pick.
Cadman will not go no7,whoever is saying that hasn't seen much of the u18 matches,he could go at Norths pick,but won't go any later than 4..

Next years crop look good .

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Geelong just showed draft picks are overrated.

As trade capital, they hold more value than actual picks.
The Geelong method has been questionable, if there's a pattern to the recent premiership chain it's the need for two gun forwards. Obviously the other positions are critical but Geelong's recruitment has fired blanks up until the Cameron acquisition. Deals like this are rare however, you simply cannot rely on poaching talent, much better to grow your own.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Geelong method has been questionable, if there's a pattern to the recent premiership chain it's the need for two gun forwards. Obviously the other positions are critical but Geelong's recruitment has fired blanks up until the Cameron acquisition. Deals like this are rare however, you simply cannot rely on poaching talent, much better to grow your own.
Geelong- Hawkins ( Father-son ) & Cameron ( Free Agent)
Melbourne - Brown ( trade) & McDonald ( 53rd pick) , Fritsch (31st pick mature age)
Richmond - Lynch ( FA) & Riewoldt (13th)
WCE - Kennedy (trade) & Darling ( 26th)

Absolute mix and match. But every team has traded or grabbed a free agent, poaching talent is what you can rely on. And all key forwards didn’t win flags till 24 ( Fritsch) or older. And most were grabbed after pick ten.

Reactions: 3 users