2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Geelong- Hawkins ( Father-son ) & Cameron ( Free Agent)
Melbourne - Brown ( trade) & McDonald ( 53rd pick) , Fritsch (31st pick mature age)
Richmond - Lynch ( FA) & Riewoldt (13th)
WCE - Kennedy (trade) & Darling ( 26th)

Absolute mix and match. But every team has traded or grabbed a free agent, poaching talent is what you can rely on. And all key forwards didn’t win flags till 24 ( Fritsch) or older. And most were grabbed after pick ten.
Let's just rewind for a moment, most of those guys were rated first round talents, Kennedy cost the best player in the AFL & was a top 5 pick, Lynch another high selection, Darling was a top pick until the scandal arrived. But all that aside, no club has managed the feat with free agency alone. We need 2 forwards & pronto, this probably the best year to do it & leaves our options open for a free agent down the track. Get it right at the draft & you are sitting on a blue chip investment.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Let's just rewind for a moment, most of those guys were rated first round talents, Kennedy cost the best player in the AFL & was a top 5 pick, Lynch another high selection, Darling was a top pick until the scandal arrived. But all that aside, no club has managed the feat with free agency alone. We need 2 forwards & pronto, this probably the best year to do it & leaves our options open for a free agent down the track. Get it right at the draft & you are sitting on a blue chip investment.
Ok but how do you get a gun forward with Pick 12?

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Ok but how do you get a gun forward with Pick 12?
Pick 12 in isolation may get you Jefferson, his range probably 7-15. Pick 7 almost guarantees Jefferson & I'd also have a stab bundling 12 & 7 together and see if we can cut a deal with West Coast. That pick 50/50 to land Cadman. I'd still be comfortable if we walked away with Jefferson & Keeler, I think between those 2 you probably get 1 success story.

As for the cost of Bowes, if we were prepared to take on Logue we can afford Bowes & a key position draftee, I think the doomsday predictions about salary injustice are overblown, I'd be shocked if it was the catalyst for mutiny. There is also the chance Bowes becomes best 22, it's actually a very reasonable bet to make.

Reactions: 1 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Pick 12 in isolation may get you Jefferson, his range probably 7-15. Pick 7 almost guarantees Jefferson & I'd also have a stab bundling 12 & 7 together and see if we can cut a deal with West Coast. That pick 50/50 to land Cadman. I'd still be comfortable if we walked away with Jefferson & Keeler, I think between those 2 you probably get 1 success story.

As for the cost of Bowes, if we were prepared to take on Logue we can afford Bowes & a key position draftee, I think the doomsday predictions about salary injustice are overblown, I'd be shocked if it was the catalyst for mutiny. There is also the chance Bowes becomes best 22, it's actually a very reasonable bet to make.
If 1.6 million for two years is correct for Bowes then that is ludicrous money. However if he is owed that much then good luck to him and why should he agree to spread it over more years if he has taken unders already. Hardwick has already said that they are committed to Taranto and Hopper and the deal will get done quickly. To me that means most if not all of our early picks will be involved. Getting Jefferson is probably a 1% chance and Cadman less than that. We can dream all we want but that is the most realistic outcome and we all know it.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
If 1.6 million for two years is correct for Bowes then that is ludicrous money. However if he is owed that much then good luck to him and why should he agree to spread it over more years if he has taken unders already. Hardwick has already said that they are committed to Taranto and Hopper and the deal will get done quickly. To me that means most if not all of our early picks will be involved. Getting Jefferson is probably a 1% chance and Cadman less than that. We can dream all we want but that is the most realistic outcome and we all know it.
Getting Jefferson is actually totally doable, moving up the draft order should be on our agenda, even if you don't see the merit in going after pick 7. The present order will not stay the same, there will be all sorts of side deals going on, I'm expecting a very busy trade week and I also hope we are big players over and above Taranto/Hopper.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Getting Jefferson is actually totally doable, moving up the draft order should be on our agenda, even if you don't see the merit in going after pick 7. The present order will not stay the same, there will be all sorts of side deals going on, I'm expecting a very busy trade week and I also hope we are big players over and above Taranto/Hopper.
I certainly see the merit Bully but I am also a realist and know that’s highly unlikely to be possible.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

Curious as to what Logue would be worth in a trade? the reason i ask is, given we were enquiring about him, that tells me the Club thinks/knows the TT/JH deal(s) will be done & Logue would have come over (had he chosen us) with what we think/know we'll have at our disposal after the GWS deal(s) are done.
I also reiterate what i have previously posted here & elsewhere. if we are paying 100% of Hoppers $ next yr GWS surely can't be overly demanding at the trade table. After all they have to trade or be over the cap. this is a good bargaining chip for us in that deal.

Last edited:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Of course to get Bowes with the $$$ spread over 3-4 yrs instead of 2 he'd have to agree with the deal we'd be offering if that were the case.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Curious as to what Logue would be worth in a trade? the reason i ask is, given we were enquiring about him, that tells me the Club thinks/knows the TT/JH deal(s) will be done & Logue would have come over (had he chosen us) with what we think/know we'll have at our disposal after the GWS deal(s) are done.
I also reiterate what i have previously posted here & elsewhere. if we are paying 100% of Hoppers $ next yr GWS surely can't be overly demanding at the trade table. After all they have to trade or be over the cap. this is a good bargaining chip for us in that deal.
Logue probably worth a pick in the 20-30 range.

Of course to get Bowes with the $$$ spread over 3-4 yrs instead of 2 he'd have to agree with the deal we'd be offering if that were the case.
If he's such a peripheral part then he would probably be keen to stay in the system for another couple of years, especially with a team in the finals frame. Not such a hard sell from my perspective, I certainly wouldn't fear any pitch from North Melbourne or West Coast.

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
I love the intent of chasing pick 7 and Bowes if pick 7 was available to buy for $1.6 million no doubt we would pay up.

However Bowes is not going to restructure his contract to take 1.6 over 4 years or come to a club where he may struggle to establish himself. If he goes to north, he earns his 1.6, probably establishes himself and then earns $300k in each of years 3 ,4 and maybe longer.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The Geelong method has been questionable, if there's a pattern to the recent premiership chain it's the need for two gun forwards. Obviously the other positions are critical but Geelong's recruitment has fired blanks up until the Cameron acquisition. Deals like this are rare however, you simply cannot rely on poaching talent, much better to grow your own.
Geelong method has been right up there as the best performed overall ( can't believe I just wrote that ).
20 years of virtually constant finals 4 Premierships.
They've got home grown players, they've got trade ins, they've got bugger all early draft picks, they've got a side full of nursing home pensioners. Yet year after year they finish in the top few teams n year after year they hammer on the premiership door.

There's five other clubs besides the Moggies since 2000 had a multi flag winning effort. Brisvegas, Sydaknee, Wet Coke, Hawforn, Tigers. None of these clubs has performed so consistently well, some have been bloody ordinary at various times during this period.

Now I need to take a hot shower, gargle pine o clean n scrub myself with disinfectant.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Mentioned in the Hun this morn that Bowes is on $ 500 to $600 for the next two years so $1mill to $1.2 mill if correct that's way more reasonable. Mould Coast apparently desperate to rid themselves of a bunch of crap back ended contracts n properly restructure their salary cap balance.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If the Cats get in Ollie Henry & Tanner Bruhn, they have basically got 3 top 20 picks from the 2020 draft.

Thats some good going.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
A big no from me on picking up Bowes.

We don't need another medium sized defender.

Why would we pick up someone who wouldn't even be close to best 25.

Dusty is contracted until 2024 and Lynch 2025.

Ben King & Todd Marshall are contracted until 2024, we should be saving cap space for one of them.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Geelong method has been right up there as the best performed overall ( can't believe I just wrote that ).
They've got home grown players, they've got trade ins, they've got bugger all early draft picks, they've got a side full of nursing home pensioners. Yet year after year they finish in the top few teams n year after year they hammer on the premiership door.

There's five other clubs besides the Moggies since 2000 had a multi flag winning effort. Brisvegas, Sydaknee, Wet Coke, Hawforn, Tigers. None of these clubs has performed so consistently well, some have been bloody ordinary at various times during this period.

Now I need to take a hot shower, gargle pine o clean n scrub myself with disinfectant.
Having witnessed the RFC go from cellar dweller to powerhouse I don't feel any need or inclination to copy Geelong or any other team for that matter, the steps for sustained dominance have already been put on display. You don't go & change your formula because a team won a flag after a decade trying.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

There is another advantage they that should not be underestimated and that's geography. There are as number of players who either come from that part of the world or are country boys who see living in and around Geelong as preferable to the big city. Not a lot we can do about that one.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Taking on bowes salary to get an 18 yo

Would be like remortgaging your house and putting 20% on mystery bets in the melbourne cup.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users