2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
He turned up at WA squad training for the championships out of shape. He was told so, didn’t like it apparently, and didn’t do much to correct things. (If you look at his shape compared to last year, he was definitely carrying a few extra kg’s.) There was a vague reference to it by one of the commentators when WA played at Princes Park.

He has a narky sort of attitude when he plays which I think carries over into his off field life and off field activities as well.
Explains his posi in the rankings, because for me only Ashcroft is a better mid. The talent and power is there, I'd be taking a punt on him maturing. Michael Walters was fat and lazy. Buddy was inconsistent. The recruiters struggled to understand Dusty because he wasn't the cookie-cutter private schoolboy. Who knows?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Yes it is from a bygone era, across the board, and yes better the standard the less risk.

But on the protecting players from something bad that might happen, and protecting the investment, thats at the core of whats wrong with the current system IMO. Up until not that long ago, that approach would be viewed with a bit of skepticism, a knock. Now, thanks to the the AFL and the APS, all good, no expectation to play seniors.

Maybe protecting gun juniors from senior footy is a good thing? Maybe it makes no difference to the health of the comp and local footy and player development? But for me the point is its happened pretty quickly with no consideration, assessment or analysis of any of that.

My own view is it would have had an impact. A small cohort of guns get drafted no matter what, but the new system would advantage some players to get drafted but may not have been in the past, and disadvantage some players who don't get drafted but might have in the past. Obviously some would succeed and fail under both. Like a lot of things in the AFL, I'd love to see some aanalysis.
I see your concern similiar to that which happens in the USA.

There's athletes (Koby Bryant, Kevin Garnett, etc etc) who skipped playing College basketball, because they knew they had enough talent/hype to get drafted into the NBA and could start earning money straight away. The "only thing" College could do for them, is lower their profile rating, or allow them to get injured before they "made it".
I've put some of this in selective quotes, because they could have been taken higher in their draft year had they attended college, but in the end, I think it had very little impact on their overall earnings.

Our sport is trending more towards the USA model of development/identification of juniors, in my opinion, and further away from "traditional" pathways. I think in the end that'll only hurt local football, and the game overall at grass roots level, but it'll probably generate the AFL more money.

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Great post Snake.

The elite Vic kids especially those at Private Schools barely play club footy let alone senior footy. Their schools dictate when and where they play. Their first priority for them is playing for their school plus their TAC teams. It’s a farce.

At 17 years of age you should be exposed to senior footy. If you play for a club in the first division say the EFL, you should be aiming to play senior footy. But it just doesn’t happen. The exposure is just not there. Maybe they think they are not physically ready? But is that the right preparation considering they are only months away from potentially playing senior AFL football?
My son is in the APS and Nab system so will
Write about what we experience. Like the scene from A Few Good Men it’s School, NAB, Local Club in that order and the agreement is the 3 never cross over if you make main squads.
Our school preseason started last week but when our NAB club starts their preseason he will only do that. Oakleigh has been delayed 2 weeks as Monash council have deemed the grounds too wet.
A few kids do go and play senior footy but it’s rare and quite often it’s the kids who won’t make it. The good kids are zero chance of playing seniors. Their programs are monitored closely with the main focus not overloading the kids and making sure their studies are the priority.
Don’t know if it’s good or bad, being exposed to senior footy has positives and negatives IMO.
However watching APS and NAB closely this year, other than the big bodies of local seniors, the boys get all the high level footy they need in preparation for AFL or state leagues

Reactions: 9 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My son is in the APS and Nab system so will
Write about what we experience. Like the scene from A Few Good Men it’s School, NAB, Local Club in that order and the agreement is the 3 never cross over if you make main squads.
Our school preseason started last week but when our NAB club starts their preseason he will only do that. Oakleigh has been delayed 2 weeks as Monash council have deemed the grounds too wet.
A few kids do go and play senior footy but it’s rare and quite often it’s the kids who won’t make it. The good kids are zero chance of playing seniors. Their programs are monitored closely with the main focus not overloading the kids and making sure their studies are the priority.
Don’t know if it’s good or bad, being exposed to senior footy has positives and negatives IMO.
However watching APS and NAB closely this year, other than the big bodies of local seniors, the boys get all the high level footy they need in preparation for AFL or state leagues
Great post. Oakleigh have a super program.

Good luck with your son.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think there are two frames of senior football, I like it when interstate boys play WAFL or SANFL. They aren't going to get belted or targeted and it's a good indication come draft time. But playing in the burbs or country senior football does nothing for their development if they are AFL bound or close to that level.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Wow! No invite for Hewett to the first night of the draft, that is staggering! Makes pick 19 look like a gold nugget.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Wow! No invite for Hewett to the first night of the draft, that is staggering! Makes pick 19 look like a gold nugget.

Jaspa fletcher getting an invite is equally staggering.

He can play, but first round is absurd, and franks the randomness of this draft imo

Ive never seen a spread so even and such an absence of lip lickers from pick 8 to the end of the rookie draft, and if jaspa fletcher is a standout ill be going to bed

And fantasising about Tarantuhopper

If the cohort of 50 or so that will get a gig this year are as uninspiring as they appear, then

1. Our trading for tarantuhopper is very inspired, and
2. Theyde want to hope its a major anomoly, because with Tassy coming in and probably getting the best 10 kids every year for a few years, sides will be trying to coax steven sziller out of retirement

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I think there are two frames of senior football, I like it when interstate boys play WAFL or SANFL. They aren't going to get belted or targeted and it's a good indication come draft time. But playing in the burbs or country senior football does nothing for their development if they are AFL bound or close to that level.
A lot of young player's have already played some sort of senior football ,before going into the nab league ,particularly in the country areas were population requires young player's to come in ,and of course a lot have talent.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
ESPN Chris Doerre has us taking Harry Lemmey and Tom Scully. Two big key forwards for a post JR8 life.

Agree with EzyT, this doesn't appear the strongest draft but conversely it looks like we should be able to get some value with our picks.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
ESPN Chris Doerre has us taking Harry Lemmey and Tom Scully. Two big key forwards for a post JR8 life.

Agree with EzyT, this doesn't appear the strongest draft but conversely it looks like we should be able to get some value with our picks.
I'm not a Scully advocate but when you package that up with Lemmey I'm warming to the suggestion, team mates should foster some healthy competition & help overcome the go home factor.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

That would be an absolute steal.
On top of the Taranto/Hopper master stroke, that haul would blow my mind

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That would be an absolute steal.
On top of the Taranto/Hopper master stroke, that haul would blow my mind

Would be a helluva haul,

But then again,

Tarranto, Hopper, clive palmer and richard lounder

Would be one of the greatest draft hauls in history

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Would be a great haul. Taranto / Hopper help our biggest deficiency and add Lemmey / Scully to our talls depth.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Hopper & Timmy T risk management assessment looks pretty good.

Still would've done the deals to include it if Hewitt is there at 19. We need midfielders who can play in finals now, not four years time.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
The Hopper & Timmy T risk management assessment looks pretty good.

Still would've done the deals to include it if Hewitt is there at 19. We need midfielders who can play in finals now, not four years time.
Jefferson, Hewett & Mitchell was my suggestion, you could still grab Hopper as well.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I'm warming to Scully. You can't ignore his form early on in the reserves sanfl bully what are his strengths and weaknesses, you reckon ?.