2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
We’re obviously not that keen, hence why we didn’t rookie him.
Must be some queries on him. Club wants to see him close up. Could be a number of things they’re not sure about.
According to Rookie Me Central, he’s average on endurance, strength and contested work. Elite on aerial and disposal.
He’s only one of three we’re looking at and we may pass on all three and go to the mid season draft.
The thing that interests me the most is that they’re all different types so can’t play one off against the other.
Looks like they’ve gone best available even at this pick.
Average on strength and endurance.
Appendicitis and broken collarbones can reduce those qualities.
As Bully says we can assess his fitness and probs also his competitiveness/willlingness to go in hard.
Will be interesting to watch this progress over preseason

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Small tidbit for those interested.
Caught up with Ethan Phillips yesterday.
Richmond didn’t talk with him at all so obviously zero interest.
Three clubs promised to draft him. None did.
He’s disappointed but will keep putting his best foot forward. Is concentrating on professional career post footy.
Brutal game.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He’s disappointed but will keep putting his best foot forward. Is concentrating on professional career post footy.
Brutal game.

Theres some recruitment blokes out there would make real estate agents blush DA

Theres also a vast chasm between the best and worst of the club cultures.

You wouldnt think it possible

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Correct.
He mentioned one of the players at Brisbane was told to renew the lease on his accommodation with a promise of having his contract extended, only to be delisted shortly after signing.
That’s beyond ordinary

Reactions: 6 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Plenty wanted us to trade up for this bloke:

One guy in Ethan Phillips is desperate to be drafted and will do anything required whilst another guy in McAsey is drafted but doesn’t have the drive or desire required.
Like with Sydney Stack, it’s hard to be too critical if they just don’t want it bad enough. It’s a daily grind with lots of pressure attached.
Supporters see it as time wasted and tend to label the player as lazy and I’m sure internally the clubs aren’t overly pleased but they also understand you can’t put a square peg in a round hole and that it’s a bit of a numbers game.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
One guy in Ethan Phillips is desperate to be drafted and will do anything required whilst another guy in McAsey is drafted but doesn’t have the drive or desire required.
Like with Sydney Stack, it’s hard to be too critical if they just don’t want it bad enough. It’s a daily grind with lots of pressure attached.
Supporters see it as time wasted and tend to label the player as lazy and I’m sure internally the clubs aren’t overly pleased but they also understand you can’t put a square peg in a round hole and that it’s a bit of a numbers game.

I reckon its surprising more kids dont fall out of love with footy at the top level.

I reckon the more emotionally intelligent kids/blokes probably get their fill of bullcrap and move on to something else?

Tom Boyd's probably a good example. Blokes like Bob Murphy are probably the exceptions

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I reckon its surprising more kids dont fall out of love with footy at the top level.

I reckon the more emotionally intelligent kids/blokes probably get their fill of bullcrap and move on to something else?

Tom Boyd's probably a good example. Blokes like Bob Murphy are probably the exceptions
To be fair, Tom Boyd suffers from depression.
Played with St Kevin’s in the VAFA and seems a terrific fella.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

Reckon it’s already happening more than we know.

Unlike McAsey, I suspect most draftees who lose passion for the game just drift along collecting their sizable salaries and enjoying the benefits of the AFL lifestyle until they are eventually delisted. Others may request trades to new clubs hoping a change of environment will ignite the spark only to find the lack of passion persists.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Brutal game.

Good on Phillips for moving forward. Sounds like a ripper.

Yep, Phillips told three clubs will take him and never gets a sniff. That's awful.

And Ezy is right, a long time ago I sat with a mate who had interviews with 12 clubs before the draft and was told he could go as high as 25 and was told by clubs "We don't expect you to be there after 50, if you are we will jump on you" and never got picked. Within 10 minutes of the draft, had the same clubs who promised to take him saying how shocked they were to not here his name but would like him to come down and train as a rookie. Went to a club that hadn't contacted him as a rookie. Brutal business. They are expensive cattle. And treated as such.

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Yep it’s on the recruiters to work this *smile* out. We do it pretty well normally going for blokes desperate to make a go of it (lambert). Stack was the opposite - elite talent and hoping in the right environment it would all work. He couldn’t have had a better environment as a young player.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yep it’s on the recruiters to work this *smile* out. We do it pretty well normally going for blokes desperate to make a go of it (lambert). Stack was the opposite - elite talent and hoping in the right environment it would all work. He couldn’t have had a better environment as a young player.
Kids that get drafted all have plenty of talent. As always it's the little blob of grey matter between the ears that eventually proves whether youngster makes it or disappears.
Even the experts who spend their lives trying to work out n understand the little grey blob are only ever making educated guesstimates. Poor old recruiter blokes are simply tossing a coin n hoping.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Meniscus tear for Tsatas.
Didn't that Phillipousis kid that St Kiddenme drafted have a sly crack at Essendrugs after the draft about them taking TaTa's with their early pick. Dodo's going well when 18 year old snot noses are giving him a clip about his recruiting on the way through.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Tsatas worries me, also head he has had to be reigned in a little bit, not lacking in confidence.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Tsatas worries me, also head he has had to be reigned in a little bit, not lacking in confidence.
Going down a similar path to Jaiden Stephenson, already, ominous signs & overlooking Phillipou looking like a dud call. The question marks now starting to mount, lack of tank, lack of kicking depth, a bit of a silver spoon mentality, injury prone & outside. Those traits are one thing in isolation but combined they spell trouble for a top 5 pick.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Going down a similar path to Jaiden Stephenson, already, ominous signs & overlooking Phillipou looking like a dud call. The question marks now starting to mount, lack of tank, lack of kicking depth, a bit of a silver spoon mentality, injury prone & outside. Those traits are one thing in isolation but combined they spell trouble for a top 5 pick.
It's Essendrugs, perfect selection for them. Nicely done Dodo.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Did @Little Ziggyadee request the below HS article be written;)

Article Image

Draft revisited: Your club’s strike rate with first-rounders

Has your club nailed its prized picks? We have crunched the numbers on every first-round selection over the past decade to work out how every side has fared.

• Haha