2023 VFL signings | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 VFL signings

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Shepparton Swans young gun Max Clohesy earns Richmond VFL contract

By Zac Standish
Shepparton News
Mar 2, 2023

Welcome to Tigerland: Young Shepparton Swans star Max Clohesy will suit up for Richmond VFL in 2023. Photo by Megan Fisher

Another of the Goulburn Valley League’s top young football talents will be making the move to the VFL — with Shepparton Swans young gun Max Clohesy earning a contract with Richmond for season 2023.

The 19-year-old, who’s renowned for his silky skills and bursting pace off half-back, makes the move to Punt Road after a dazzling junior career with the Swans and Murray Bushrangers.

Touted as a potential draft prospect heading into last season, a string of injuries curtailed Clohesy during his crucial final year of juniors however, which ultimately resulted in him missing out on being selected at the 2022 AFL draft.

But those setbacks have not stopped him from chasing his dream, as he now enters a VFL program at Richmond that has had a lot of its players move onto AFL lists.

Clohesy said Tigerland would be the best place to continue his football journey.

“I am absolutely over the moon to be heading to Richmond,” Clohesy said.

“Considering last year was a bit disappointing for me I am super determined to have a bounce back year, and to be able to utilise Richmond’s facilities down at Punt Road it is an unreal opportunity.

“I chose Richmond because they were the AFL club most interested in me and the fact they have had five people recruited from their program in the last five years it is a very good record.”

Clohesy — who averaged 19.2 disposals, 3.2 rebound 50s and 3.2 marks in five senior GVL games last season — will not be lost to the region after he nominated Shepparton Swans as his home club for the upcoming campaign.

He will also be surrounded by a host of fellow district exports, with Tatura’s Billy Cooper, Shepparton United’s Angus Hicks and Nathalia’s Nathan Oakes on the VFL list and Mooroopna’s Tom Brown plying his trade as part of the AFL set-up.

Having been training with the Tigers since November, Clohesy said the step up in intensity had been a big one.

“It is a lot harder than GV training that’s for sure, it is certainly a lot more serious than I was used to,” he said.

“That took a bit of a toll on me at the start, as I was travelling down from Shepparton twice a week for training, but now I’m starting to really settle in and hit my groove.

“Having those other guys from up here down there with me has also been really helpful and made the summer training all the more enjoyable.”

Set to be Clohesy’s first foray into VFL footy, he recently got a glimpse of the higher standard during Richmond’s practice match against North Melbourne.

Having the opportunity to line-up against AFL-listed players every week was something he said excited him about this opportunity.

“I played in the AFL practice match the other day for a couple of quarters and that was surreal,” he said.

“Aaron Hall came and matched up on me and I certainly got taught how to play footy, but I’m excited to come up against guys like that because playing against better players makes you better.”

As for his goals for the season, he said it was all about getting into the side and improving as much as he could.

“I’ll be trying to play round one, whether that happens I’m not sure, but that is the objective,” he said.

“Ultimately I want to play AFL footy, so this is the best place for me to be to try and do that and also learn as a footballer.

“For this year I just want to play good, consistent footy and then go from there.”

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/sport/...-gun-max-clohesy-earns-richmond-vfl-contract/

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Shepparton Swans young gun Max Clohesy earns Richmond VFL contract

By Zac Standish
Shepparton News
Mar 2, 2023

Welcome to Tigerland: Young Shepparton Swans star Max Clohesy will suit up for Richmond VFL in 2023. Photo by Megan Fisher

Another of the Goulburn Valley League’s top young football talents will be making the move to the VFL — with Shepparton Swans young gun Max Clohesy earning a contract with Richmond for season 2023.

The 19-year-old, who’s renowned for his silky skills and bursting pace off half-back, makes the move to Punt Road after a dazzling junior career with the Swans and Murray Bushrangers.

Touted as a potential draft prospect heading into last season, a string of injuries curtailed Clohesy during his crucial final year of juniors however, which ultimately resulted in him missing out on being selected at the 2022 AFL draft.

But those setbacks have not stopped him from chasing his dream, as he now enters a VFL program at Richmond that has had a lot of its players move onto AFL lists.

Clohesy said Tigerland would be the best place to continue his football journey.

“Considering last year was a bit disappointing for me I am super determined to have a bounce back year, and to be able to utilise Richmond’s facilities down at Punt Road it is an unreal opportunity.

“I chose Richmond because they were the AFL club most interested in me and the fact they have had five people recruited from their program in the last five years it is a very good record.”

Clohesy — who averaged 19.2 disposals, 3.2 rebound 50s and 3.2 marks in five senior GVL games last season — will not be lost to the region after he nominated Shepparton Swans as his home club for the upcoming campaign.

He will also be surrounded by a host of fellow district exports, with Tatura’s Billy Cooper, Shepparton United’s Angus Hicks and Nathalia’s Nathan Oakes on the VFL list and Mooroopna’s Tom Brown plying his trade as part of the AFL set-up.

Having been training with the Tigers since November, Clohesy said the step up in intensity had been a big one.

“It is a lot harder than GV training that’s for sure, it is certainly a lot more serious than I was used to,” he said.

“That took a bit of a toll on me at the start, as I was travelling down from Shepparton twice a week for training, but now I’m starting to really settle in and hit my groove.

“Having those other guys from up here down there with me has also been really helpful and made the summer training all the more enjoyable.”

Set to be Clohesy’s first foray into VFL footy, he recently got a glimpse of the higher standard during Richmond’s practice match against North Melbourne.

Having the opportunity to line-up against AFL-listed players every week was something he said excited him about this opportunity.

“I played in the AFL practice match the other day for a couple of quarters and that was surreal,” he said.

“Aaron Hall came and matched up on me and I certainly got taught how to play footy, but I’m excited to come up against guys like that because playing against better players makes you better.”

As for his goals for the season, he said it was all about getting into the side and improving as much as he could.

“I’ll be trying to play round one, whether that happens I’m not sure, but that is the objective,” he said.

“Ultimately I want to play AFL footy, so this is the best place for me to be to try and do that and also learn as a footballer.

“For this year I just want to play good, consistent footy and then go from there.”

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/sport/...-gun-max-clohesy-earns-richmond-vfl-contract/
Dudoro racing to PRO to get in his ear for the MSD.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

I never read this about other clubs.

Reactions: 1 user