3 points of difference in 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

3 points of difference in 2021

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
you need to refresh with every new campaign. a point of difference to confound opposition and inspire team mates. our group have been dragged to hell and back through a variety of injuries to key players, but there are signs, through the failed Collingwood game to the Brisbane triumph, that we are once again hitting our stride at the right time.

here are three crucial points of difference as I see it that might yet take us deep into September:

1) Ruck stability across the ground
In 2019 we had Nankervis and Soldo providing tap advantage, clearance muscle, D50 cover and F50 menace. This year we have been crying out for a dangerous ruck tandem as it gives ruck #1 a critical chop out and, perhaps most importantly, allows us to control the air within both arcs. With Nank back in the side, Chol is free run forward and provide a dangerous attacking option. four goals in Nank's fist game back is no coincidence. Conversely, Nank can drift back and provide that cover he does so well, particularly in the absence of Broad and Balta. This is why playing two competitive rucks has a multitude of positive effects across the ground. With Nank, drifting back, we can afford to play +1 small running/link type, which leads into :

2) Attacking runners / precise ball use from half back
Thus far in the dynasty, we have relied upon Houli, Short and to a lesser extent Grimes to run and deliver from half back. In 2021, which teams setting up deeper across the wings due to the space allowed for kick-in, this is far less effective. As fate would have it, two of our better kickers, Houli and Vlastuin, have been cruelled by injury for much of the campaign. Fate has a funny way of unearthing surprising paths. With the reinvention of the hard-running, highly-skilled Daniel Rioli, the resuscitation of the rugged, sublimely-talented Sydney Stack, and the continued faith in the tough, confident Nigel Mansell, we might just be re-molding a back seven that is much better suited to exploiting the stand rule. Tough competitors who don't lack for speed in congestion and precision in delivery. This is the template for a defence with the ability to convert defence to attack in an instant and improves a defensive unit sorely lacking in this regard in the first half of campaign 2021.

3) A new set of amigos up forward
The re-invention of a back six solidified by Nankervis dropping back and the installation of the deadly smalls Rioli, Stack and Mansell has bled rainbows into the forward zone. As noted, Chol may drift forward without a suitable match up and lethally hit the scoreboard. Secondly, this in turn makes Lynch and Riewoldt more dangerous. If the opposition is eyeing the rearview for Chol, Tom and Jack have much more chance of splitting their minders and presenting cleanly. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Jack was able to find the space to kick 6 against Brisbane. With Chol pushing forward at every opportunity, our ability to score over 100 points was evident for all to see. Finally, the most important element of this current forward setup is the small brigade. The changes in D50 has resulted in Baker being sent to a zone where he first started - the forward line. At a tender young age, he is now the standard-setter of a small brigade that was listless, rudderless just three weeks ago. With increased speed and precision on the ball out of D50, Baker, Castagna and Aarts are now pushing forward to the feet of our talls with much more frequency and intent. Baker is a terrier, utterly determined to trap that ball at all costs. With his svelte, creative passing, he is perfectly suited to the role of forward bulldog. Based on the evidence of the Brisbane game, our forward pressure, the alpha and omega of how we operate, might well have returned, like Lazarus rising.

In short, I believe there signs - just signs at the this point - that every facet of our game is up and running. We were even able to reverse the downward trend of center clearances on the weekend.

And Dusty? Huge out whichever way you slice it. Matchwinner. But my consolation is that Bolton, another matchwinner, can slot into Martin's place. I look forward to the Geelong game with great interest, not because I think we are a strong chance to win, but because we are functionally and structurally looking better than we have since the Grand Final of 2020.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In short, I believe there signs - just signs at the this point - that every facet of our game is up and running. We were even able to reverse the downward trend of center clearances on the weekend.

And Dusty? Huge out whichever way to slice it. Matchwinner. But my consolation is that Bolton, another matchwinner, can slot into Martin's place. I look forward to the Geelong game with great interest, not because I think we are a strong chance to win, but because we are functionally and structurally looking better than we have since the Grand Final of 2020.

agree.

Beating Brisbane or Geelong was my revised 2021 goal a week or so ago, so, TICK.

its all passionfruit icing from here.

I dont expect to win the flag, but I believe we can.

I think we'll play finals, and it will be down to timing, Covid, and luck (who you play, where you play 'em, and who's allowed to play) more than ever.

I agree carts, $hai is now THE man. I think Stackman could be deputy The man. Nank is beyond The man; he's in a league of his own.

No Nank, No Richmond is a reality, not rhetoric.

But yeah, Friday was so exhilarating to see Richmond again.

If we can bring that and a another 5%, Geelong's game doesn't stand a chance.

then the remaining 4 rounds will be a TANK-off between the sides in the 8,

to avoid Richmond before the GF

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Think the boys got up for Jack.
Can't see us climbing the mountain even halfway this year let alone to the top.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
There's another potential point of difference: Noah Balta.

Jack mentioned rebreaking him as a change mid. I said to him at the Collingwood game, imagine if we could play Noah in Aarts' position.

DTLD - Hawkins
Grimes - Cameron
Broad - Rohan

Balta - HFF wildcard.

He's a better small than Aarts - quicker, dual-sided - and he's 196cm. He'd have to work on his set-shot goal-kicking, and of course the ankle might not let him return.

But he's the wildcard that would give oppo defensive coaches sleepless nights. And you could throw him into the guts for the odd ruck-roving stint. Win the clearance and bomb it to Lynch in the goal square.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
There's another potential point of difference: Noah Balta.

Jack mentioned rebreaking him as a change mid. I said to him at the Collingwood game, imagine if we could play Noah in Aarts' position.

DTLD - Hawkins
Grimes - Cameron
Broad - Rohan

Balta - HFF wildcard.

He's a better small than Aarts - quicker, dual-sided - and he's 196cm. He'd have to work on his set-shot goal-kicking, and of course the ankle might not let him return.

But he's the wildcard that would give oppo defensive coaches sleepless nights. And you could throw him into the guts for the odd ruck-roving stint. Win the clearance and bomb it to Lynch in the goal square.

He’d certainly be Agent Chaos in that F50 spooker. Fingers crossed the lad gets back.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Think the boys got up for Jack.
Probably right but let's hope it reminds them how much better it feels to win than lose.
Nank is beyond The man; he's in a league of his own.
The linchpin of our hopes to salvage something from season 2021, no doubt. The 8-day break is a Godsend.
With the reinvention of the hard-running, highly-skilled Daniel Rioli
There were signs on Friday this could be a masterstroke, in part because he's so calm with ball in hand, but also, as you say @Carter, for the forward role it opens up for Baker.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Shedda coming in is a real boost and will offset the loss of dusty , the next IN is a curious one . Rcd, egg or Hugo or cads or Martyn perhaps

Reactions: 1 user

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020
If the loss of Dusty is not a Call to Arms, I don't know what is. The opportunity for this team to go from Great to GOAT beckons.

Reactions: 3 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
you need to refresh with every new campaign. a point of difference to confound opposition and inspire team mates. our group have been dragged to hell and back through a variety of injuries to key players, but there are signs, through the failed Collingwood game to the Brisbane triumph, that we are once again hitting our stride at the right time.

here are three crucial points of difference as I see it that might yet take us deep into September:

1) Ruck stability across the ground
In 2019 we had Nankervis and Soldo providing tap advantage, clearance muscle, D50 cover and F50 menace. This year we have been crying out for a dangerous ruck tandem as it gives ruck #1 a critical chop out and, perhaps most importantly, allows us to control the air within both arcs. With Nank back in the side, Chol is free run forward and provide a dangerous attacking option. four goals in Nank's fist game back is no coincidence. Conversely, Nank can drift back and provide that cover he does so well, particularly in the absence of Broad and Balta. This is why playing two competitive rucks has a multitude of positive effects across the ground. With Nank, drifting back, we can afford to play +1 small running/link type, which leads into :

2) Attacking runners / precise ball use from half back
Thus far in the dynasty, we have relied upon Houli, Short and to a lesser extent Grimes to run and deliver from half back. In 2021, which teams setting up deeper across the wings due to the space allowed for kick-in, this is far less effective. As fate would have it, two of our better kickers, Houli and Vlastuin, have been cruelled by injury for much of the campaign. Fate has a funny way of unearthing surprising paths. With the reinvention of the hard-running, highly-skilled Daniel Rioli, the resuscitation of the rugged, sublimely-talented Sydney Stack, and the continued faith in the tough, confident Nigel Mansell, we might just be re-molding a back seven that is much better suited to exploiting the stand rule. Tough competitors who don't lack for speed in congestion and precision in delivery. This is the template for a defence with the ability to convert defence to attack in an instant and improves a defensive unit sorely lacking in this regard in the first half of campaign 2021.

3) A new set of amigos up forward
The re-invention of a back six solidified by Nankervis dropping back and the installation of the deadly smalls Rioli, Stack and Mansell has bled rainbows into the forward zone. As noted, Chol may drift forward without a suitable match up and lethally hit the scoreboard. Secondly, this in turn makes Lynch and Riewoldt more dangerous. If the opposition is eyeing the rearview for Chol, Tom and Jack have much more chance of splitting their minders and presenting cleanly. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Jack was able to find the space to kick 6 against Brisbane. With Chol pushing forward at every opportunity, our ability to score over 100 points was evident for all to see. Finally, the most important element of this current forward setup is the small brigade. The changes in D50 has resulted in Baker being sent to a zone where he first started - the forward line. At a tender young age, he is now the standard-setter of a small brigade that was listless, rudderless just three weeks ago. With increased speed and precision on the ball out of D50, Baker, Castagna and Aarts are now pushing forward to the feet of our talls with much more frequency and intent. Baker is a terrier, utterly determined to trap that ball at all costs. With his svelte, creative passing, he is perfectly suited to the role of forward bulldog. Based on the evidence of the Brisbane game, our forward pressure, the alpha and omega of how we operate, might well have returned, like Lazarus rising.

And Dusty? Huge out whichever way you slice it. Matchwinner. But my consolation is that Bolton, another matchwinner, can slot into Martin's place. I look forward to the Geelong game with great interest, not because I think we are a strong chance to win, but because we are functionally and structurally looking better than we have since the Grand Final of 2020.
I think your focus on the HB is an astute one. The recurring theme amongst the ladder leaders is much class and run from this point , refer to our matches v melb and swans where they dominated us off this line. We have floundered searching for an answer post houli , finally we may have nailed it with Rioli mansell and stack. They have dare, pace and skill that will indeed sharpen our entries i50

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Shedda coming in is a real boost and will offset the loss of dusty , the next IN is a curious one . Rcd, egg or Hugo or cads or Martyn perhaps
There's no other in required. Ross to keep his spot.

Bolton pushes to mid/deep fwd replacing Martin
Castagna to wing replacing KMac
Parker to forward line replacing castagna (parker and Castagna can alternate wing / half forwad)
Ross to midfield replacing Bolton.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
There's no other in required. Ross to keep his spot.

Bolton pushes to mid/deep fwd replacing Martin
Castagna to wing replacing KMac
Parker to forward line replacing castagna (parker and Castagna can alternate wing / half forwad)
Ross to midfield replacing Bolton.

agree shedda deployment on demand too

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
vlastuin will return.
Be interesting what we do with stack, mansell and rioli. People will say Garthwaite out but I'd like to see Vlastuin running around free providing the intercept mark / loose ball mop up. Grimes to be free also as the deep sweeper (Rance role - we've gone away from this a bit. The Dees are doing it with May and Lever effectively). Which would leave Dave and Garth as the key man on man defenders. Even with Balta and Broad in the team I think we've gone away from our premiership winning structures a bit and have been exposed. We always structured up well and players constantly peeled off and had cover everywhere especially with the deep sweeper. Who's our new back line coach?

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Be interesting what we do with stack, mansell and rioli. People will say Garthwaite out but I'd like to see Vlastuin running around free providing the intercept mark / loose ball mop up. Grimes to be free also as the deep sweeper (Rance role - we've gone away from this a bit. The Dees are doing it with May and Lever effectively). Which would leave Dave and Garth as the key man on man defenders. Even with Balta and Broad in the team I think we've gone away from our premiership winning structures a bit and have been exposed. We always structured up well and players constantly peeled off and had cover everywhere especially with the deep sweeper. Who's our new back line coach?

100% agree harry.

DTLD and Garth lockdown: Grimes and Vlastuin intercept and give it to; Melee, Stackman and Danny, who either give it shorty to roost, or run like *smile*.

Yes, there will be nervous moments and gameday meltdowns with garth, but I dont reckon he'll concede a bag.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
100% agree harry.

DTLD and Garth lockdown: Grimes and Vlastuin intercept and give it to; Melee, Stackman and Danny, who either give it shorty to roost, or run like *smile*.

Yes, there will be nervous moments and gameday meltdowns with garth, but I dont reckon he'll concede a bag.
The thing with this setup is you have Grimes free deep to help cover the over the top (we got exposed here last time round) and Vlastuin lurking upfield to block the lead in holes.

Just had a dejavu moment - I'm sure I've posted this b4 earlier in the season.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Good posting lads. I think Rioli and Stack are gaining in confidence by the week. Vlastuin in soon is cocaine icing.

Whateley suggested over the weekend that the jaws music should play whenever anyone thinks of Richmond.

We’re coming.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
100% agree harry.

That's eight defenders, though.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That's eight defenders, though.

melee, Danny, stackman and shorty will be in a the defensive rotation,

so 7 on the ground?

just hope the Umps cant count I suppose?

they probably will go Vlastuin for garth I suppose?