3 points of difference in 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

3 points of difference in 2021

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
melee, Danny, stackman and shorty will be in a the defensive rotation,

so 7 on the ground?

just hope the Umps cant count I suppose?

they probably will go Vlastuin for garth I suppose?
suspect you're right. I wouldn't. reckon leppa wouldn't also. which is why I asked who's our new back line coach.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
melee, Danny, stackman and shorty will be in a the defensive rotation,

so 7 on the ground?

just hope the Umps cant count I suppose?

they probably will go Vlastuin for garth I suppose?
Six on the ground, one on the bench. The only time we've diverged from that was when DTLD/Balta played second ruck.

your man short will have to miss
Unlikely, though. Probably Mansell. Or Stack could get thrown forward.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
How good was Stack’s kicking into 50? He should be our forward transition coach. I don’t think the forwards have seen that quality all year. Our brothers have great connection. I love how they celebrate. Long may it continue.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
There's no other in required. Ross to keep his spot.

Bolton pushes to mid/deep fwd replacing Martin
Castagna to wing replacing KMac
Parker to forward line replacing castagna (parker and Castagna can alternate wing / half forwad)
Ross to midfield replacing Bolton.
Reckon Parker will be given a crack on the wing

Reactions: 2 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
1/ shortest pre season ever
2/ injuries keep coming ensuring tigers don't reach peak fitness.
3/ RFC unlike myself should of paid over softcap by 500,000 as we can afford it big time and paying the half million in tax is well worth the advantage our massive gross revenue which is miles above second best .

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
you need to refresh with every new campaign. a point of difference to confound opposition and inspire team mates. our group have been dragged to hell and back through a variety of injuries to key players, but there are signs, through the failed Collingwood game to the Brisbane triumph, that we are once again hitting our stride at the right time.

here are three crucial points of difference as I see it that might yet take us deep into September:

1) Ruck stability across the ground
In 2019 we had Nankervis and Soldo providing tap advantage, clearance muscle, D50 cover and F50 menace. This year we have been crying out for a dangerous ruck tandem as it gives ruck #1 a critical chop out and, perhaps most importantly, allows us to control the air within both arcs. With Nank back in the side, Chol is free run forward and provide a dangerous attacking option. four goals in Nank's fist game back is no coincidence. Conversely, Nank can drift back and provide that cover he does so well, particularly in the absence of Broad and Balta. This is why playing two competitive rucks has a multitude of positive effects across the ground. With Nank, drifting back, we can afford to play +1 small running/link type, which leads into :

2) Attacking runners / precise ball use from half back
Thus far in the dynasty, we have relied upon Houli, Short and to a lesser extent Grimes to run and deliver from half back. In 2021, which teams setting up deeper across the wings due to the space allowed for kick-in, this is far less effective. As fate would have it, two of our better kickers, Houli and Vlastuin, have been cruelled by injury for much of the campaign. Fate has a funny way of unearthing surprising paths. With the reinvention of the hard-running, highly-skilled Daniel Rioli, the resuscitation of the rugged, sublimely-talented Sydney Stack, and the continued faith in the tough, confident Nigel Mansell, we might just be re-molding a back seven that is much better suited to exploiting the stand rule. Tough competitors who don't lack for speed in congestion and precision in delivery. This is the template for a defence with the ability to convert defence to attack in an instant and improves a defensive unit sorely lacking in this regard in the first half of campaign 2021.

3) A new set of amigos up forward
The re-invention of a back six solidified by Nankervis dropping back and the installation of the deadly smalls Rioli, Stack and Mansell has bled rainbows into the forward zone. As noted, Chol may drift forward without a suitable match up and lethally hit the scoreboard. Secondly, this in turn makes Lynch and Riewoldt more dangerous. If the opposition is eyeing the rearview for Chol, Tom and Jack have much more chance of splitting their minders and presenting cleanly. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Jack was able to find the space to kick 6 against Brisbane. With Chol pushing forward at every opportunity, our ability to score over 100 points was evident for all to see. Finally, the most important element of this current forward setup is the small brigade. The changes in D50 has resulted in Baker being sent to a zone where he first started - the forward line. At a tender young age, he is now the standard-setter of a small brigade that was listless, rudderless just three weeks ago. With increased speed and precision on the ball out of D50, Baker, Castagna and Aarts are now pushing forward to the feet of our talls with much more frequency and intent. Baker is a terrier, utterly determined to trap that ball at all costs. With his svelte, creative passing, he is perfectly suited to the role of forward bulldog. Based on the evidence of the Brisbane game, our forward pressure, the alpha and omega of how we operate, might well have returned, like Lazarus rising.

In short, I believe there signs - just signs at the this point - that every facet of our game is up and running. We were even able to reverse the downward trend of center clearances on the weekend.

And Dusty? Huge out whichever way you slice it. Matchwinner. But my consolation is that Bolton, another matchwinner, can slot into Martin's place. I look forward to the Geelong game with great interest, not because I think we are a strong chance to win, but because we are functionally and structurally looking better than we have since the Grand Final of 2020.
One of the best posts I have read. Well done.

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
I think your focus on the HB is an astute one. The recurring theme amongst the ladder leaders is much class and run from this point , refer to our matches v melb and swans where they dominated us off this line. We have floundered searching for an answer post houli , finally we may have nailed it with Rioli mansell and stack. They have dare, pace and skill that will indeed sharpen our entries i50
Spot on Billy. The dynamics of our team have changed big time. If Stack, Mansell and Rioli keep up there work rate I don't think Houli gets back in. Rioli is looking great with his run and carry. We have never really had this off half back...not at the pace he does it. It's exciting. Hardwick is proving to be a profound strategic coach of the playing list.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
you need to refresh with every new campaign. a point of difference to confound opposition and inspire team mates. our group have been dragged to hell and back through a variety of injuries to key players, but there are signs, through the failed Collingwood game to the Brisbane triumph, that we are once again hitting our stride at the right time.

here are three crucial points of difference as I see it that might yet take us deep into September:

1) Ruck stability across the ground
In 2019 we had Nankervis and Soldo providing tap advantage, clearance muscle, D50 cover and F50 menace. This year we have been crying out for a dangerous ruck tandem as it gives ruck #1 a critical chop out and, perhaps most importantly, allows us to control the air within both arcs. With Nank back in the side, Chol is free run forward and provide a dangerous attacking option. four goals in Nank's fist game back is no coincidence. Conversely, Nank can drift back and provide that cover he does so well, particularly in the absence of Broad and Balta. This is why playing two competitive rucks has a multitude of positive effects across the ground. With Nank, drifting back, we can afford to play +1 small running/link type, which leads into :

2) Attacking runners / precise ball use from half back
Thus far in the dynasty, we have relied upon Houli, Short and to a lesser extent Grimes to run and deliver from half back. In 2021, which teams setting up deeper across the wings due to the space allowed for kick-in, this is far less effective. As fate would have it, two of our better kickers, Houli and Vlastuin, have been cruelled by injury for much of the campaign. Fate has a funny way of unearthing surprising paths. With the reinvention of the hard-running, highly-skilled Daniel Rioli, the resuscitation of the rugged, sublimely-talented Sydney Stack, and the continued faith in the tough, confident Nigel Mansell, we might just be re-molding a back seven that is much better suited to exploiting the stand rule. Tough competitors who don't lack for speed in congestion and precision in delivery. This is the template for a defence with the ability to convert defence to attack in an instant and improves a defensive unit sorely lacking in this regard in the first half of campaign 2021.

3) A new set of amigos up forward
The re-invention of a back six solidified by Nankervis dropping back and the installation of the deadly smalls Rioli, Stack and Mansell has bled rainbows into the forward zone. As noted, Chol may drift forward without a suitable match up and lethally hit the scoreboard. Secondly, this in turn makes Lynch and Riewoldt more dangerous. If the opposition is eyeing the rearview for Chol, Tom and Jack have much more chance of splitting their minders and presenting cleanly. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Jack was able to find the space to kick 6 against Brisbane. With Chol pushing forward at every opportunity, our ability to score over 100 points was evident for all to see. Finally, the most important element of this current forward setup is the small brigade. The changes in D50 has resulted in Baker being sent to a zone where he first started - the forward line. At a tender young age, he is now the standard-setter of a small brigade that was listless, rudderless just three weeks ago. With increased speed and precision on the ball out of D50, Baker, Castagna and Aarts are now pushing forward to the feet of our talls with much more frequency and intent. Baker is a terrier, utterly determined to trap that ball at all costs. With his svelte, creative passing, he is perfectly suited to the role of forward bulldog. Based on the evidence of the Brisbane game, our forward pressure, the alpha and omega of how we operate, might well have returned, like Lazarus rising.

In short, I believe there signs - just signs at the this point - that every facet of our game is up and running. We were even able to reverse the downward trend of center clearances on the weekend.

And Dusty? Huge out whichever way you slice it. Matchwinner. But my consolation is that Bolton, another matchwinner, can slot into Martin's place. I look forward to the Geelong game with great interest, not because I think we are a strong chance to win, but because we are functionally and structurally looking better than we have since the Grand Final of 2020.
Good post, Carts. The injection of pace and class into the backline via Danny, Stack and Mansell is a great move. We look dangerous exiting defence. And Nank obviously is arguably our most important player.

I'll take issue with point 3. I think our small forwards are still a weakness. Bakes is a ripper, but he's not electric. Aarts is a goer, but lacks pace and class. And George is in career-worst.

If we get everyone (bar Dusty) back, we'll have an excess of backmen. As I've stated, Balta into Aarts' role gives me tingles. And we've seen how good Stack can be up forward. It would be robbing Peter to remove him from defence, but Paul is broke.

If MoJu finds his mojo and we can afford to keep Stacky back, look the *smile* out everyone. Or perhaps Shedda plays predominantly forward - but I think we'll need him in the midfield.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think the game has shifted away from scrappers in the forward line. You need finishers. Hence George and Aarts are battling.

Once again, forwards are better than defenders, if you give them the chance.

B - Rioli Astbury Grimes
HB - Stack Broad Vlastuin
C - Pickett Bolton Parker
HF - Lambert Balta Edwards
F - Riewoldt Lynch ...(MoJu? Stack?)
R - Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I - Baker Chol Graham Short/Mansell

Beat that side in September and you probably win the flag.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I think the game has shifted away from scrappers in the forward line. You need finishers. Hence George and Aarts are battling.

B - Rioli Astbury Grimes

Yep we can still have a big say if we get some luck with injuries and be creative at selection.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Good post, Carts. The injection of pace and class into the backline via Danny, Stack and Mansell is a great move. We look dangerous exiting defence. And Nank obviously is arguably our most important player.

I'll take issue with point 3. I think our small forwards are still a weakness. Bakes is a ripper, but he's not electric. Aarts is a goer, but lacks pace and class. And George is in career-worst.

If we get everyone (bar Dusty) back, we'll have an excess of backmen. As I've stated, Balta into Aarts' role gives me tingles. And we've seen how good Stack can be up forward. It would be robbing Peter to remove him from defence, but Paul is broke.

If MoJu finds his mojo and we can afford to keep Stacky back, look the *smile* out everyone. Or perhaps Shedda plays predominantly forward - but I think we'll need him in the midfield.

I hear you Spooker. I think Aarts is too agricultural myself, but I liked his pressure game against Brissie.

If we run with a taller, more skilful F50, we’d wanna improve our scoring efficiency and I’m not sure we have that in our DNA just yet.

The loss of KMac and the rebirth of Stack and Rioli goes a long way to fixing our disposal efficiency though. we may not be far off brother :)

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I hear you Spooker. I think Aarts is too agricultural myself, but I liked his pressure game against Brissie.

If we run with a taller, more skilful F50, we’d wanna improve our scoring efficiency and I’m not sure we have that in our DNA just yet.

The loss of KMac and the rebirth of Stack and Rioli goes a long way to fixing our disposal efficiency though. we may not be far off brother :)
If we run with a taller, more skilful F50, we will improve our scoring efficiency.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
If we run with a taller, more skilful F50, we will improve our scoring efficiency.

Depends on the delivery I guess is what I’m saying rather poorly. Can’t have that pill landing at feet and coming back out.

We play our agricultural small forwards because of the agricultural delivery.

Prestia and Shedda will help enormously and you might be onto something with Noah.

I reckon our backline is well equipped right now with maybe only Vlastuin and Broad required.

Balta is nothing if not an x-factor colossus

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

B - Rioli Astbury Grimes

jeez that's a good looking side.

Dustin Who?

5 weeks is pretty much the perfect tune up window to launch a campaign too.

Agree with carts and other that Cholkervis has been granted the special Tigerland 3121 VISA.

IF, by some 11th hour revocation of the 2021 footy god wrath, we can stay injury free for the next 10 weeks,

and you had a crystal ball, I reckon we'd be short favourites at The Big Dance,

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Dustin Who?

Agree with carts and other that Cholkervis has been granted the special Tigerland 3121 VISA.

IF, by some 11th hour revocation of the 2021 footy god wrath, we can stay injury free for the next 10 weeks,

Let's just say the 25s are no longer available on Betfair. ;)

• Haha

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

Dustin Who?

Way I see is we get our interstate test in the EF.

From there it’s a Victorian bloodbath. And we’re the shark

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Way I see is we get our interstate test in the EF.

From there it’s a Victorian bloodbath. And we’re the shark

It keeps coming out as Swans in the predictor, no?

and I reckon theres almost zero chance it would be in Sydney, let alone on the SCG.

Swans would pick GBHMDMA stadium.

Maybe that explains why THE AFL decided, against all prevailing logic and goodwill, not to give us a look this week?