9/11 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

9/11

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
something that doesn't get mentioned much is the NOISE it made...
from the planes hitting to the buildings collapsing... it was deafening...
Not sure if you heard an interview on Neil Mitchell this week. One guy was there, said he was not built as a person to comprehend it all when it happened. Like in shock and couldnt comprehend the disater unfolding (cant remember the word he used), in fact he cant remember the noise at all. To him not much noise on the impact I think he said but the fireball was what stuck with him coming out the side of the building. Listening to him it felt like his body shut out the noise from shock.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Watched a lot of 9/11 documentaries over the journey. Some of the most poignant scenes are the first fireies on the scene in the lobby of the North Tower. They’re quietly talking to one another as bodies are smashing down onto the roof above them - over and over. Some are saying to each other that they’re probably not gonna survive the day, they’re saying farewells to each other etc. You’re watching these guys just before they march off to their deaths up the stairwells.

The first Battallion Commander on the scene Joe Pfeiffer sends his Lieutenant brother Kevin off with his men, up the stairwells. It’s the last time that he sees him alive.

Incredible gut wrenching scenes.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Not sure if you heard an interview on Neil Mitchell this week. One guy was there, said he was not built as a person to comprehend it all when it happened. Like in shock and couldnt comprehend the disater unfolding (cant remember the word he used), in fact he cant remember the noise at all. To him not much noise on the impact I think he said but the fireball was what stuck with him coming out the side of the building. Listening to him it felt like his body shut out the noise from shock.
that's interesting. how senses work in relation to shock. i wonder if this is why the noise isn't mentioned much?
we had a friend some blocks away and her buildings occupants all agree they'd heard nothing like it. they were all on the roof and watching it unfold... all expecting more planes!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
My boss at the time was on a conference call between people based here, Europe New York. The New York person said that they had to evacuate due to a terrorist attack, my boss turned on the TV and watched the whole thing unfold on CNN.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I remember watching CNN. Reporter in the for ground some distance away, you could wee the first tower on fire, second tower not impacted. As he was reporting what was happening in the background I watched a plan appear and hit the second tower.

It was so surreal.
I was waiting for the reporter to turn around and see what had happened, but I guess his producers couldn't or didn't feed the news to him. But it didn't seem real because there was no reaction from him. It needed a minute or two before CNN went with it. In the meantime there were dozens of SMS messages flying between friends pretty much all asking if anyone else saw the second tower get hit.

The brother of someone that worked for me was in the Tower 1 and died. This guys utter utter hatred of #troofies and there ilk was very real. he said the pain the WTC conspiracy movement caused affected families was criminal.
Yep. Definitely very scary scene. It's like you're watching a film being produced. Bit surprised there's still no footage (no matter how small) of the 1st plane hitting the tower given all the CCTV around NY.

Al Bundy

Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
that's interesting. how senses work in relation to shock. i wonder if this is why the noise isn't mentioned much?
we had a friend some blocks away and her buildings occupants all agree they'd heard nothing like it. they were all on the roof and watching it unfold... all expecting more planes!
I was unlucky enough to be close to the Russell Street bombing . Was with my 2 cousins as we trained it in to pick up a car from the auction @ Abeckett st. 3 of us in it. Coming up Elizabeth St, meant to turn up Latrobe (museum) to turn left onto Russell (heading to Lygon for coffees) but he got cut off by another car who wouldnt let him turn up Latrobe (Lucky as we wouldve been almost at the interesection to witness it).

We headed further up to go the next street right. Not 10 seconds later, massive explosion. Like the sound of a building crashing from the echos. Everyone in the cars stopped. Froze was the impact. Looking around like what. could see smoke. 15 secs later Cops Vans racing up to Russell St. We got up there and traffic block. lady cop crying while directing traffic. That sound havent heard since. very deep and deafning. We actually ducked in the car by instinct as we heard it

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yep. Definitely very scary scene. It's like you're watching a film being produced. Bit surprised there's still no footage (no matter how small) of the 1st plane hitting the tower given all the CCTV around NY.

There is footage. There is FDNY footage of the plane directly hitting the tower.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I was unlucky enough to be close to the Russel Street bombing . Was with my 2 cousins as we trained it in to pick up a car from the auction @ Abeckett st. 3 of us in it. Coming up Elizabeth St, meant to turn up Latrobe (museum) but he got cut off by another car who wouldnt let him turn up towards Russell. (Lucky as we wouldve been almost at the interesection to witness it. We were heading to Lygon. Went up the next street. As we past the intersection not 10 seconds later, massive explosion. Like the sound of a building crashing from the echos. Everyone in the cars stopped. Froze was the impact. Looking around like what. could see smoke. 15 secs later Cops Vans racing up to Russell St. We got up there and traffic block. lady cop crying while directing traffic. That souns havent heard since. very deep and deafning. We actually ducked in the car by instinct as we heard it
I was working a few blocks down. Corner of Elizabeth and Collins. We heard the noise of the explosion, but thought they’d dropped something large at the building site across the road. We didn’t find out what had really happened when a colleague’s husband rang to check she was okay, because he’d heard about the bombing on the news.

Al Bundy

Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
I was working a few blocks down. Corner of Elizabeth and Collins. We heard the noise of the explosion, but thought they’d dropped something large at the building site across the road. We didn’t find out what had really happened when a colleague’s husband rang to check she was okay, because he’d heard about the bombing on the news.
Deep sound yeah. Think with all the tall buildings it echoed out

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Which are the best 9/11 docos to watch?
There’s a bunch. 9/11 including the French Naudet brothers is worth watching. They were doing a doco on the NYFD the morning of the attacks and they have a lot of pre and post real life NYFD footage of the day.

The current National Geographic series 9/11 One Day In America showing right now is good.

There’s heaps including one or two good ones relating to the CIA’s bungling of things.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Nah. The Naudet brothers filmed the first plane going into the North Tower whilst on call with the NYFD as they were fixing a gas leak at the intersection of Church and Lispenard streets - which is about 14 blocks north of the North Tower. Plane goes over the top of them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Nah. The Naudet brothers filmed the first plane going into the North Tower whilst on call with the NYFD as they were fixing a gas leak at the intersection of Church and Lispenard streets - which is about 14 blocks north of the North Tower. Plane goes over the top of them.
Yeah just mentioned I must've forgotten that I've seen it. I still wonder what the hell was I doing there 7 months later visiting my cuz in NJ.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
There is at least one ..saw it on news tonight on SBS..but have seen it before in a doco. It's like a news crew or film crew on a routine job, there is noise of low flying plane, those in shot look up, camera then swings down a street to the towers in distance, plane comes into frame and then into building. Once the fireball erupts camera zeroe in a close up of the impacted floors.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Better descriprion than.i have just typed out

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The current National Geographic series 9/11 One Day In America showing right now is good.

Been watching that, agree its very good. The day told from the perspective of many people that were there.

Actually had me tearing up when hearing Ron Clifford (I think that was his name), he was in the North Tower, saved a lady and was then getting her away from the tower when the south tower was hit. He managed to help the lady to an ambulance and he was then phoned by his brother in law, where he found out that his sister and her daughter were on the plane that flew into the south tower as he was helping this other lady to safety.

I'm sure there are heaps of stories like this, but that 1 certainly hit me.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Been watching that, agree its very good. The day told from the perspective of many people that were there.

Actually had me tearing up when hearing Ron Clifford (I think that was his name), he was in the North Tower, saved a lady and was then getting her away from the tower when the south tower was hit. He managed to help the lady to an ambulance and he was then phoned by his brother in law, where he found out that his sister and her daughter were on the plane that flew into the south tower as he was helping this other lady to safety.

I'm sure there are heaps of stories like this, but that 1 certainly hit me.
Yeah. That was brutal to listen to.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
9/11 I was in Singapore on a business trip, teaching a class, wondered why my mature age business students were getting distracted halfway through... they were getting texts about what was happening. I really didn't get it until I got back to the hotel and then was up all night watching it - I think I saw the second plane hit in real time.

Then had to fly to Australia a couple of days later, that was surreal with almost no-one on the plane, and staff/passengers all pretty freaked out.