A Day On The Green | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Day On The Green

A

admin

Did anybody else go to the Jackson Browne concert yesterday?

It was an awesome event.  The concert was held in an open air setting at a winery near Coldstream.

The stage was set up in a natural ampitheatre and people sat around on deckchairs and rugs, their picnic hampers and wine coolers nearby.

It was a wonderful atmosphere to enjoy great music.
There was no heavy security intervention etc.  People were free to go up to the stage for photos etc.

I thought it was exceptional value.  The $70 ticket I bought specifically to see Jackson Browne came with a bonus other 3 acts, who all performed for around an hour each.

I didn't catch the name of the first guy, but I loved his acoustic guitar playing.  I think it was Dan Luscome?

He was followed by the perennial good time guy, Richard Clapton.  It was a high energy performance that got the crowd in the mood.

The delightful Wendy Matthews and her band were next.
Those acts alone were worth the price of the ticket to me.

Jackson Browne was wonderful as always, and was on stage for over 2 hours.  How come I have aged so much since the olden  days when he was a big part of my life, but he still loooks like a little boy, ha.
It was so good to see him again after 20 years.

I felt very important for a while.  Towards the end of the concert and during his encore the crowd were chanting "Rosy" "We want Rosy"
Then I realised it was Rosie the song they wanted, not me after all, ha.
I was hanging out to hear it too actually, but the low point of the night was that he didn't sing it to me, ha.

The day on the green concerts are a fairly new thing I think, but if anybody gets a chance to attend one I'd thoroughly reccommend it.

P.S. I did notice that the hippies from days gone by when Jacksone Browne hit the scene have sold out on dope smoking and joined the cab sav crowd, ha. ;D ;D

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Lucky devil you, sounds like like it was $$$ well spent rosy.

You have to envy the fact that JB threw good fortune or wise management has been able to look so youthful given the life that he has led .Contrast that with the strolling bones makes it even more interesting.

I'd luv to know what besides (rosie...never mind ;D) was his repertiore for the day/evening.

Given that most bands, artist, have a tendancy to cover there more recent material i hope he was still able to play some of the classics,particularly the 70's stuff.

Sounds like it was a great day given the list of performers and like you i would have have shelved out $70 for experience, pity about other events at this end that even stopped me seeing him in Melbourne,arrgh well maybe next time.

P.S. I did notice that the hippies from days gone by when Jacksone Browne hit the scene have sold out on dope smoking and joined the cab sav crowd, ha. ;D ;D

Can i assume that you are also are a convert to the respectable and affluent set, that is cab sav? ;D

A

admin

Surprisingly there was a fair bit of older material mellow.  I don't know if that was cos of the intimate outdoor setting, or if his Palais concert would have been the same.
He opened with Doctor My Eyes.
Other songs I can think of were
The Barricades Of Heaven.
These Days (he said he wrote that when he was 15)
The Pretender
Somebody's Baby
Lives In The Balance
Before The Deluge
In The Shape Of A Heart
Tender Is The Night......
The Rebel Jesus

Haha struggling to remember actually.

The only new stuff was really a couple of songs from The Naked Ride Home.
Of course the title track, which is as near to his older stuff that he's done for ages.  It was wonderful.
Also did The Night Inside Me from the new one.
I don't know what the final song of the night was.  Could have been from TNRH too.

There were a few songs I didn't know chucked in here and there.

He came on and did an encore of The Load Out. It was just JB and his piano.  Emotive stuff.
Then the band snuck in in the dark and did Stay.  Brilliant!!

Really the concert was like The Best Of Jackson Browne cd, with a heap of others thrown in.

Can i assume that you are also are a convert to the respectable and affluent set, that is cab sav?  
Haha nah mellow, I'd never sell out to that crowd.......well maybe the odd Fruity Lexia now and then maybe. ;D