• PRE should be functioning as per usual. Please email admin@puntroadend.com to report anything odd that is occuring over the next few days as we settle a few database issues.

A few things....

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Just a few reminders about site rules that have been being ignored with increasing regularity lately.

We can't copy articles from the AFL website so please don't do so. It puts our site at risk of legal action, as threatened by the AFL, which could spoil things for everyone. Just not worth it. We have permission to copy articles from the RFC website.

Football related articles should be posted on the Journos board, not on Dyer Tribe. There are a few people choosing to ignore that lately.

There is a sticky thread on the Journos Board with guidelines for posting articles.

There are several different boards and threads should be started on the relevant ones. (There are sometimes exceptions for short term threads or ones that benefit the site as a whole)

If people don't want to have separate boards then feel free to make a case for a single board for all different topics and we'll see what others think about the idea.

As long as the rules are there we should do our best to abide by them. Running this site is extremely time consuming and we can do without the merging, moving, deleting and sending explanation PMs.

This is a very busy forum so bit of consideration and effort to help make it easier to manage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :hearton

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
rosy23 said:
Just a few reminders about site rules that have been being ignored with increasing regularity lately.

We can't copy articles from the AFL website so please don't do so. It puts our site at risk of legal action, as threatened by the AFL, which could spoil things for everyone. Just not worth it. We have permission to copy articles from the RFC website.

Football related articles should be posted on the Journos board, not on Dyer Tribe. There are a few people choosing to ignore that lately.

There is a sticky thread on the Journos Board with guidelines for posting articles.

There are several different boards and threads should be started on the relevant ones. (There are sometimes exceptions for short term threads or ones that benefit the site as a whole)

If people don't want to have separate boards then feel free to make a case for a single board for all different topics and we'll see what others think about the idea.

As long as the rules are there we should do our best to abide by them. Running this site is extremely time consuming and we can do without the merging, moving, deleting and sending explanation PMs.

This is a very busy forum so bit of consideration and effort to help make it easier to manage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :hearton
perhaps put this (or an abbreviated version) as a sticky in Dyer Tribe?

michael roach

Walking in a mullet wonderland!
Oct 6, 2009
Someone hasn`t read this thread.
Another AFL link put up.....

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42371.msg1215055#msg1215055

michael roach

Walking in a mullet wonderland!
Oct 6, 2009
And another one....

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=42349.msg1215065;topicseen#msg1215065

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
We can link to articles on the AFL site we just aren't allowed to reproduce them here. ;)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigerdog said:
We can link to articles on the AFL site we just aren't allowed to reproduce them here. ;)
That's not correct Td. Tecnically we could probably post a link or a snippet but people always take it that one step further and we end up having entire articles posted again. It's far safer and easier to give the AFL site a miss altogether and it's been explained and requested several times that we all abide by that. I've been read the riot act in regard to their copyright material and am not willing to risk their wrath. I contacted them for clarification in regard to what we can and can't do but they weren't forthcoming with the info. The article you linked to is on the RFC site as well, and someone has posted it on the Journo's board. No issues with that.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Obviously those are the rules set out by the AFL website so we need to follow them but to me it doesn't make sense from an AFL perspective. Surely just a link to their website means that people will visit the site to read the article and isn't that what they want us to do ?

Seems silly that they haven't bothered to clarify for you . If you are reading the article on the AFL website then I can't see where copyright has been infringed . I understand reproduction of the article in full could concern them to some degree.

Sounds to me like you have done as much as you can and we just need to follow the rules.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
rosy23 said:
That's not correct Td. Tecnically we could probably post a link or a snippet but people always take it that one step further and we end up having entire articles posted again. It's far safer and easier to give the AFL site a miss altogether and it's been explained and requested several times that we all abide by that. I've been read the riot act in regard to their copyright material and am not willing to risk their wrath. I contacted them for clarification in regard to what we can and can't do but they weren't forthcoming with the info. The article you linked to is on the RFC site as well, and someone has posted it on the Journo's board. No issues with that.
Do you mean that we cannot post links to the AFL site?
That doesn't even sound logical, unless they consider the actual URL copywritten material ?!?!?

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Sintiger said:
Obviously those are the rules set out by the AFL website so we need to follow them but to me it doesn't make sense from an AFL perspective. Surely just a link to their website means that people will visit the site to read the article and isn't that what they want us to do ?

Seems silly that they haven't bothered to clarify for you . If you are reading the article on the AFL website then I can't see where copyright has been infringed . I understand reproduction of the article in full could concern them to some degree.

Sounds to me like you have done as much as you can and we just need to follow the rules.
Since when have decisions that have come from the AFL made sense?

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Surely there's no legal issue posting a link? I've never heard of such a thing. Might be worth clarifying with the AFL.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
GoodOne said:
Surely there's no legal issue posting a link? I've never heard of such a thing. Might be worth clarifying with the AFL.
I never suggested that was the case. Did you read my explanation in reply #5?

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
rosy23 said:
I never suggested that was the case. Did you read my explanation in reply #5?
Yes I read it, you said technically we could PROBABLY post a link. And I said surely there's no legal issue in posting a link. Not having a go, just confirming that legally I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue. It's your site, you're the rule maker, so not arguing your request in any way.

Super9Nova

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 16, 2011
GoodOne said:
It's your site, you're the rule maker.
Is this correct. This site is kind of a benelovant dictatorship?
Wouldn't the policies be voted on by at least some kind of nominated group?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Super9Nova said:
Why ? While I'm sure the owner would solicit advise from those she whose opinions she respects, at the end of the day if litigation were to occur, it would only be her neck on the line so she's really got to take complete ownership of the policies of this site.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Super9Nova said:
Benevolent dictatorship?- A dictatorship in which the leader has power only because the people choose to allow them to remain. This necessitates a wise use of power and generally prevents abuses since the benevolent dictator loses power if they are unsuitable.

I don't think that description fits the bill at all. If people had enough issues with the rules they might leave the site but I don't see how an administrator is here because the people allow it. Everyone who runs a website probably has an ultimate say in how it's run so I don't really see why you ask those questions.

How do you propose a group could be nominated without those looking to criticise being able to say they were handpicked for the purpose?

When this site was made all members, not just a hand picked group, were invited to have input into the rules. Our posting guidelines are made from those rules. There have been several times since when input and suggestions have been invited. There is a moderators board where the site and the rules are discussed.

The rules in regard to copyright have come about due to serious threats of legal action. I think we're better off to have a bit of inconvenience rather than have the website closed down. I can't afford a costly legal battle and I'd prefer the site to remain here for people to use. General member input wasn't invited when decisions have made due to legalities and warnigns the site would be closed down if we didn't comply with certain demands.

I don't get the issue some people have with any website having rules. They are very time consuming and costly to run and if they didn't have a standard the administrators were happy with they probably wouldn't wish to be involved. There are no barbed wire fences holding people in if they don't agree with the way they are run.

I liken websites to someone's private house when people call administrators dictators. I'm sure most of us have certain behaviour standards we expect guests to abide by. I don't think websites are, or should be, any different.

Super9Nova

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 16, 2011
Baloo said:
Why ? While I'm sure the owner would solicit advise from those she whose opinions she respects, at the end of the day if litigation were to occur, it would only be her neck on the line so she's really got to take complete ownership of the policies of this site.
OK so the admin is the owner - fair enough. What if the admin is unavailable to moderate? Does the board need to be closed down to prevent litigation?
Having one persons neck on the line seems like a risky proposition.