A few things....

Super9Nova

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 16, 2011
rosy23 said:
I don't think that description fits the bill at all. If people had enough issues with the rules they might leave the site but I don't see how an administrator is here because the people allow it. Everyone who runs a website probably has an ultimate say in how it's run so I don't really see why you ask those questions.
I asked the questions based on GoodOnes "it's your site, you're the rulemaker". I know this to be true but I don't believe this is the only way to ensure that legal action doesn't ensue
rosy23 said:
How do you propose a group could be nominated without those looking to criticise being able to say they were handpicked for the purpose?
Who are those looking to criticise and how would their stance prevent the process?
rosy23 said:
The rules in regard to copyright have come about due to serious threats of legal action. I think we're better off to have a bit of inconvenience rather than have the website closed down. I can't afford a costly legal battle and I'd prefer the site to remain here for people to use. General member input wasn't invited when decisions have made due to legalities and warnigns the site would be closed down if we didn't comply with certain demands.
Is the intent to try to eliminate illegal activity on the site or minimise? Sending out warnings can only achieve minimisation imo (unless that warning exempts the board from legal action, in which case the issue of legal action has been eliminted)
rosy23 said:
I don't get the issue some people have with any website having rules. They are very time consuming and costly to run and if they didn't have a standard the administrators were happy with they probably wouldn't wish to be involved. There are no barbed wire fences holding people in if they don't agree with the way they are run.
Agree with you. On this I think the site is way to lenient on player abuse ie xxxx is a dud, I hope xxxx never plays for RFC again - should be deleted without hesitation.
rosy23 said:
I liken websites to someone's private house when people call administrators dictators. I'm sure most of us have certain behaviour standards we expect guests to abide by. I don't think websites are, or should be, any different.
Would be harsh for someone to call an administrator a dictator. Questioning if a forum is some kind of a benevolant dictatorship is probably reasonable though.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Super9Nova said:
Questioning if a forum is some kind of a benevolant dictatorship is probably reasonable though.
Questioning if a poster is some kind of a tosspot is probably reasonable also.

shamekha

Tiger Superstar
Mar 7, 2008
Here people have a read.

http://www.afl.com.au/Hidden/CopyrightandTrademark/tabid/8783/Default.aspx

TimTamMan

Tiger Rookie
Apr 20, 2004
I love this site.
If you don't then don't visit
Thank you for all involved especially Rosy

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
in the end its rosys site, she has been good enough to explain her actions and why which she doesnt need to do.
If youdont like the rules bad luck, life is about choice and you choose to accept the rules or leave.

keep up the good work Rosy ;D

PBoRSM

How many kids do I have??
Jun 11, 2004
I especially liked shamekha posting the copyright rules using a link to the AFL's website when that's what Rosy was anxious about in the first place - classic!!!!!

Rosy, is there any other material that we are forbidden to post in full or should the rule be - No cut and paste work accepted, only links and avoid mentioning the AFL via copy or link?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
PBoRSM said:
Rosy, is there any other material that we are forbidden to post in full or should the rule be - No cut and paste work accepted, only links and avoid mentioning the AFL via copy or link?
Sportal used to be a similar situation to the AFL articles. I received a very heavy letter from them with threats of legal action. They contacted me again a year or three ago and told me that person had left and it was ok for us to publish entire articles.

As far as the AFL goes they would probably love us to publish links to get traffic to their site. The problem is it starts with links then a bit more gets added and some still publish entire articles. I have had to delete some that were posted after this thread. It is far easier, and safer, from a moderating and administrative perspective to not allow AFL content at all. I tried contacting the AFL for clarification and there initial response was obey or else and their second response was silence. They obviously aren't willing to discuss it.

People ignore posting requests. I suppose they think it's just a little thing so it will be ok. Trouble is if many think that way it becomes a big problem.

The AFL have come the heavy on different club forums as well. I would prefer not to antagonise them and I repeat the request that people don't post their content on PRE. It's not worth the risk of losing our site.

We do have permission to publish articles from the RFC site.

Publishing articles on the Journos board is another example of posting guidelines being ignored. ( I did a post about that on the board earlier this morning)

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
rosy23 said:
Just a few reminders about site rules that have been being ignored with increasing regularity lately.

We can't copy articles from the AFL website so please don't do so. It puts our site at risk of legal action, as threatened by the AFL, which could spoil things for everyone. Just not worth it. We have permission to copy articles from the RFC website.

Football related articles should be posted on the Journos board, not on Dyer Tribe. There are a few people choosing to ignore that lately.

There is a sticky thread on the Journos Board with guidelines for posting articles.

There are several different boards and threads should be started on the relevant ones. (There are sometimes exceptions for short term threads or ones that benefit the site as a whole)

If people don't want to have separate boards then feel free to make a case for a single board for all different topics and we'll see what others think about the idea.

As long as the rules are there we should do our best to abide by them. Running this site is extremely time consuming and we can do without the merging, moving, deleting and sending explanation PMs.

This is a very busy forum so bit of consideration and effort to help make it easier to manage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :hearton
Rosy, now that the HUN is a paid service, are there any issues with reposting their content here?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
No issues at the moment doherz. If the H/S contact us about it we'll have to have a re-think. I don't expect them to because they've used plenty of content from PRE. Their articles are still available in full on other sites anyway.

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
rosy23 said:
No issues at the moment doherz. If the H/S contact us about it we'll have to have a re-think. I don't expect them to because they've used plenty of content from PRE. Their articles are still available in full on other sites anyway.
Great comment ! Think that most of the articles written start on PRE

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Tango said:
in the end its rosys site, she has been good enough to explain her actions and why which she doesnt need to do.
If youdont like the rules bad luck, life is about choice and you choose to accept the rules or leave.

keep up the good work Rosy ;D
Totally agree. If anyone wants to read on here something from the AFL website then do as I do and suggest reading the article on that site. easy peasy.

It is Rosy's site and she is fully entitled to make whatever rules she wishes, and then for us to follow her instructions. How hard can that be??

rosy3 said:
Just a few reminders about site rules that have been being ignored with increasing regularity lately.

We can't copy articles from the AFL website so please don't do so. It puts our site at risk of legal action, as threatened by the AFL, which could spoil things for everyone. Just not worth it. We have permission to copy articles from the RFC website.

Football related articles should be posted on the Journos board, not on Dyer Tribe. There are a few people choosing to ignore that lately.

There is a sticky thread on the Journos Board with guidelines for posting articles.

There are several different boards and threads should be started on the relevant ones. (There are sometimes exceptions for short term threads or ones that benefit the site as a whole)

If people don't want to have separate boards then feel free to make a case for a single board for all different topics and we'll see what others think about the idea.

As long as the rules are there we should do our best to abide by them. Running this site is extremely time consuming and we can do without the merging, moving, deleting and sending explanation PMs.

This is a very busy forum so bit of consideration and effort to help make it easier to manage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :hearton
I appreciate your time and effort, and that of the other helpers.

Thank you.