A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Re: A League Football 2006-2007 (merged)

Just goes to prove ethnic based teams was a waste of time and created very little interest in soccer from non ethnic orientated fans.

Getting rid of ethnic related sides ie old Melb Croatia, Sth Melb Hellas, Sunshine George Cross, Marconi, Sydney Olympic, ect ectand creating unified unilateral sides has been the masterstroke Aussie soccer desperately required.

The A league is certainly flying with Victorians and all Aussies unified behind their very own sides that represent their state and unify fans as opposed to dividing them.

Well done and good luck to the victory who are going gangbusters at the minny.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

craig said:
Just goes to prove ethnic based teams was a waste of time and created very little interest in soccer from non ethnic orientated fans.

Getting rid of ethnic related sides ie old Melb Croatia, Sth Melb Hellas, Sunshine George Cross, Marconi, Sydney Olympic, ect ectand creating unified unilateral sides has been the masterstroke Aussie soccer desperately required.

The A league is certainly flying with Victorians and all Aussies unified behind their very own sides that represent their state and unify fans as opposed to dividing them.

Well done and good luck to the victory who are going gangbusters at the minny.

Exactly what the true soccer supporters felt always mate.

Previously, it was very difficult to get involved in soccer, especially when you're not from a Greek/Croatian/Italian background...there was simply no team to follow.

Now we ALL have ONE team to follow! :clap

Was at the game on Sunday...good game...great crowd...looking forward to the next one too! 8)

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne

I went to my very first Melbourne Victory game on Sunday night.

Absoulately loved it.  Was going to see the Sydney match, but illness got the better of me.

It was fantastic to have the entire crowd cheering for the same team.  When the A-League formed, I have my reservations as I was dissappointed that Sth Melb were going to join the comp.

I am really looking forward to their next home match on 1st of Oct.  Even considering buying a membership.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

nwonash said:
I went to my very first Melbourne Victory game on Sunday night.

Absoulately loved it. Was going to see the Sydney match, but illness got the better of me.

It was fantastic to have the entire crowd cheering for the same team. When the A-League formed, I have my reservations as I was dissappointed that Sth Melb were going to join the comp.

I am really looking forward to their next home match on 1st of Oct. Even considering buying a membership.

Melbourne Victory the first A-League club to get over 10,000 members too, so you won't be alone! ;)

http://www.melbournevictory.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=5133&pageid=71

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

went to the game on sunday, sarkies is quality.

the atmosphere was really good

for those thinking of going, id advise to buy your tix early, and rock up early to get a good spot, otherwise u could be left stranded, far from home. stranded, on your own... ;)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Looks like the Victory will be moving most of their remaining home games to Telstra Dome.

Will be interesting to see if they can consistently get over 25k to these games - but they are guaranteed to make money as TD made them an offer too good to turn down.

I will miss Olympic Park - great atmosphere when full - but guess it had to happen.

Check the full story here: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20448949-11088,00.html

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Doolz85 said:
went to the game on sunday, sarkies is quality.

the atmosphere was really good

for those thinking of going, id advise to buy your tix early, and rock up early to get a good spot, otherwise u could be left stranded, far from home. stranded, on your own... ;)

Sarkies is a gun - he just needs to be more confident when shooting on goal - his passing and ball holding technique are top class. He should move to Europe after this year.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121

antman said:
Looks like the Victory will be moving most of their remaining home games to Telstra Dome.

Will be interesting to see if they can consistently get over 25k to these games - but they are guaranteed to make money as TD made them an offer too good to turn down.

I will miss Olympic Park - great atmosphere when full - but guess it had to happen.

Check the full story here:  http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20448949-11088,00.html

Too early to make this decision. At this point a core support of 25,000 who will go to every home game is a vast overestimate. Plus Docklands is a funereal hovel where you'll be even further from the pitch.

On Olympic Park, whose bright idea was it to put a floodlight pylon in the middle of the terrace, thus making a large section restricted view? OP is far from perfect, but at least better than Docklands for the size of crowd MV can reasonably expect.

interested

Tiger Superstar

Can't wait for the new stadium which will actually be designed for soccer viewing - i.e. seating for a square field.
Maybe they will need to redesign to allow for greated seating than the 20,000 I think they've catered for.

interested

Tiger Superstar

25,000 would be perfect I think.
You're not going to fill a 40,000 seat stadium week in week out. Always looks better when its packed out, and it will be more economically viable - especially for the Storm.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Ready said:
antman said:

Check the full story here: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20448949-11088,00.html

Too early to make this decision. At this point a core support of 25,000 who will go to every home game is a vast overestimate. Plus Docklands is a funereal hovel where you'll be even further from the pitch.

On Olympic Park, whose bright idea was it to put a floodlight pylon in the middle of the terrace, thus making a large section restricted view? OP is far from perfect, but at least better than Docklands for the size of crowd MV can reasonably expect.

Ready,
I heard with the rugby-league tri-nations on in October, and now with the Victory games being moved, that the lower section of the Dome seating might be moved in, allowing the fans to be closer to the action, and to give the impression of a "rectangular stadium".
When they built the Dome, the level-1 seats are on 'rails', and can be slid in, to make a rectangular pitch.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

Ready said:
On Olympic Park, whose bright idea was it to put a floodlight pylon in the middle of the terrace, thus making a large section restricted view?

i know, i was standing right next to it last week, what a joke!!

interested said:
Can't wait for the new stadium which will actually be designed for soccer viewing - i.e. seating for a square field.
Maybe they will need to redesign to allow for greated seating than the 20,000 I think they've catered for.

yeah 20,00 is too small. the victory want it enlarged, but i hear the melbourne storm doesn't want it any bigger... 30,000 sounds right to me.

game has just started, GO THE VICTORY!!!!!

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

if we keep our current form up, we;ll get to play in the asian champions league, which would be great for the club and players.

the maltese falcon kevin muscat is leading the league in goals... :clap

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Doolz85 said:
if we keep our current form up, we;ll get to play in the asian champions league, which would be great for the club and players.

the maltese falcon kevin muscat is leading the league in goals... :clap

Yeah - would be fantastic. I heard it will be in the off-season for us so over our winter.

Did you see the game against Perth? Ordinary first half - Alex got subbed off and was not too happy. Merrick seems to be getting the subs right because his replacement Carceras scored.

Archie played well along with Roddy Vargas.. Victory much better after half time but were a bit lucky with the penalty. Perth got a deserved goal back near the end with an unstoppable header from a corner.

Good we didn't play that well but still ground out the result - Victory vs Roar will be huge this Sunday. Round up some mates and get them along!

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg

victory creamed the roar this arvo at the dome. fred was fantastic is his first game back from suspension. 4 - 1wass the final scoreline, with muscat getting 2 from the penalty spot. i think he leads the league in goals, although 5 of his 6 have been penalties...

26 thousand were there.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne

Good to see Terry Wallace at the game supporting the Victory on.

Melboure were too good for Qld Roar. 7 points clear of the second placed roar.

I am loving going to support Melb Victory. Will ease the pain of no Richmond until 2007 season begins.

Fred is all class. No one would have suspected he missed the last 3 games.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Haven't heard much from the Ernie Merrick baggers that were rife last season.