A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I think you explained why Cavallo has but I was asking in response to this line, "dozens of gay men in professional Australian team sport that do not have the confidence to come out". Why do they need to come out?

No they don't. I’m sure there are plenty that can get by without the need to come out. and that is fine too. But this is the type of thing that helps others (who are struggling) come out if they feel they need to for their own wellbeing.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Why do they have to come out publically though ian? Surely their sexual preference is a private matter, why the need to tell the world?
Who do they take to awards nights etc? How do they refer to a partner etc?

Males are always assumed to be straight by the 'masses', if he did refer to his partner, I am sure most commentators would respond with "she" or "her". "coming out" clears that potential awkwardness, and as Ian says gives comfort for others who are not sure how they will be received.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Think about the cultural changes that Dimma, Benny, Peggy and our mindfulness coach fostered to help make Richmond a successful team post-2016. It was around being open, being vulnerable, and being true to your real self as part of the team.

This is why it's important.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think the young man himself expressed why it was important to him by saying it was exhausting living a double life. It doesn't mean that every gay professional sports person has to publicly come out but what it does mean is that it is ok if that is what you want to do.
It should not be an issue because we should all accept people for who they are, but it is. His courage will make it easier for the next person and hopefully his teammates' acceptance of him will be a lesson for all sporting clubs.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Loving the CH10 promo. CH10 production of recent Matildas games was very good. I am liking what they are bringing to the table so far.

With CH10 also procuring the rights to the English FA Cup, I am also expecting them to put in a bid for the EPL (current Optus deal ends next May).

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Victory has signed 13 new players - interesting to see how they go next season

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Victory has signed 13 new players - interesting to see how they go next season

I'm not expecting miracles. I will take top 6 and go from there. Our draw is good with 15 of 26 games at AAMI Park. We need to turn it into a fortress again.

I'm going to Adelaide away and WSW away, so I should end up going to our first 9 games.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Poor game and dull atmosphere in last night's season opener. Really disappointing crowd for the reigning premiers.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Poor game and dull atmosphere in last night's season opener. Really disappointing crowd for the reigning premiers.

City have a core fan base on 6-7,000. I’m not sure why people are so surprised by the crowd on Friday night. The uncertainty over crowd caps may have also been an issue. I know it was for the Geelong game. But digital membership cards are being emailed this week. The days of having to purchase tickets for every match is over. I’m sure footy fans will be happy to hear this once next season comes round.

Both the Westgate Derby and Sydney Derby were cagey affairs. Its never a smart idea to schedule derbies in Round 1. But the CH10 ratings were the highest for a home and away game in over 5 years, which is a reasonable start. It just a pity it ended 0-0.

There were also teething problem on Paramount Plus Saturday night. I was in Geelong, so I wasn’t watching on TV, but apparently the picture quality was terrible. But I watched “Matchday Sunday” yesterday and thought the production was decent.

As for Victory, I thought we deserved the 3 points in the end. It’s a rarity for us to win in R1, so we’ll take it. Brisbane and Perth at home in the next 2 weeks (and Perth in the FFA cup on Wednesday). Big opportunity to get off to a flyer.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
So what you're saying is you'd like to see moore of it?
What does that mean? Are you indicating that its some sort of choice to be gay? Or you personally don't see any need for someone to announce their sexuality? Almost every gay man I know wishes it were like that.

I think the point is allowing people to be themselves. I's a hard concept for many to grasp when they are always part of the majority and they don't have to constatntly check behaviour. Difference can threaten some. When you get to know gay men well and see what their day to day experience is with homophobia, it is no surprise many are uncomfortable to be openly gay. It takes extreme courage to be an "out" gay man. The good thing is most kids are growing up in a much more accepting environment so change will happen.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
What does that mean? Are you indicating that its some sort of choice to be gay? Or you personally don't see any need for someone to announce their sexuality? Almost every gay man I know wishes it were like that.
Oh no it wasn't anything like that, I was doing one of those messages where you cleverly sneak a name in but don't overtly say it. I should have put in a wink emoji.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

As for Victory, I thought we deserved the 3 points in the end. It’s a rarity for us to win in R1, so we’ll take it. Brisbane and Perth at home in the next 2 weeks (and Perth in the FFA cup on Wednesday). Big opportunity to get off to a flyer.
I was there too. The Victory fans well outnumbered united fans.
United need their new ground built ASAP, so they have a ground built for football, and can really start to build a home supported base.

Not sure Victory deserved to win, I thought United had more of the ball, but neither side was particularly threatening. Probably a pretty typical rd 1 clash.