A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don't normally either, however Maher works for 10 and it wouldn't be in his best interests to say that unless they were in fact terrible. Further, he was referencing comments from meetings inside of 10, made by the Program Director or someone in there, so not an SEN perspective anyway.

Andy Maher works for channel 7. How long has the front bar been going on for? a few years.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Andy Maher works for channel 7. How long has the front bar been going on for? a few years.
He must have some involvement with 10 or Paramount or was privy to something in some way because he definitely referenced a meeting that he was in that involved discussion around ratings for the B-League. It was last night and he mentioned it not once, but twice. At worst he may have conflated a 7 meeting he was in, but it didn't sound that way.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
would rather have lost to Essendon and Victory won. Not really sure where that came from. i thought we had one foot in the GF, maybe our players did too? We did have a couple of controversial calls go against us, but that doesn’t take away from how poor we were.

Anyway from a Victory POV, I can’t complain about our season. I’d rather be in a semi final and lose than be on the bottom like last season.

I’ll be at AAMI Park on Saturday night in green and black.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
would rather have lost to Essendon and Victory won. Not really sure where that came from. i thought we had one foot in the GF, maybe our players did too? We did have a couple of controversial calls go against us, but that doesn’t take away from how poor we were.

Anyway from a Victory POV, I can’t complain about our season. I’d rather be in a semi final and lose than be on the bottom like last season.

I’ll be at AAMI Park on Saturday night in green and black.
on your own there Binny

:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Watched the GF tonight and if this is supposed to be the pinnacle game of the year then the league is in massive trouble - what a snooze fest. I grew up playing and watching sokah and love the game but the A league is going backwards. A big problem imo is the coaching as clubs are trying to play a slow possession style similar to Italian, Spanish and south American sides without the skillset to execute. What you get is a slow conservative game of keepings off where teams go sideways and backwards and the opposition is happy to sit back and defend deep. The game really needs to be quicker and more attacking & exciting if it wants to gain more support. It needs coaches from the SPL and the English 2nd and 3rd divisions to inject some exciting fast attacking style of play. Watching a 3rd division game in England is more entertaining than what the A league is currently dishing up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Well done Western United. Their critics are salty this morning :mhihi

Watched the GF tonight and if this is supposed to be the pinnacle game of the year then the league is in massive trouble - what a snooze fest. I grew up playing and watching sokah and love the game but the A league is going backwards. A big problem imo is the coaching as clubs are trying to play a slow possession style similar to Italian, Spanish and south American sides without the skillset to execute. What you get is a slow conservative game of keepings off where teams go sideways and backwards and the opposition is happy to sit back and defend deep. The game really needs to be quicker and more attacking & exciting if it wants to gain more support. It needs coaches from the SPL and the English 2nd and 3rd divisions to inject some exciting fast attacking style of play. Watching a 3rd division game in England is more entertaining than what the A league is currently dishing up.

During Simon Hill’s 1 hear hiatus from TV commentary, he hosted a podcast with Zeljko Kalac and Craig Moore. One of the things they used to bang on about was how the A-League received more respect from outside of Australia than inside Australia.

I’m not saying the game in Australia doesn’t have its problems. I mean, we couldn’t sell out the GF and TV ratings were poor. I will add that the Channel 10 production on Saturday night was just about the best I have ever seen in an A-League game. And they are committed to the long haul (which is exactly what we need in a broadcast partner).

But coming from someone who has watched the A-League since day 1, the standard has never been better. The players and quality of youth has never been better.

The difference now is that the game is a lot more tactical and coaching is more astute. The key to WU winning the GF was WU starving McLaren and Leckie of possession, and get them on the counter against a team with an ordinary defence. And they did it beautifully.

I know Prijovic scored one and was unlucky enough to not be handed a second goal, but to me Risdon should have been given the Joe Marsden medal. He gave Leckie a bath.

Last edited:

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Well done Western United. Their critics are salty this morning :mhihi

During Simon Hill’s 1 hear hiatus from TV commentary, he hosted a podcast with Zeljko Kalac and Craig Moore. One of the things they used to bang on about was how the A-League received more respect from outside of Australia than inside Australia.

I’m not saying the game in Australia doesn’t have its problems. I mean, we couldn’t sell out the GF and TV ratings were poor. I will add that the Channel 10 production on Saturday night was just about the best I have ever seen in an A-League game. And they are committed to the long haul (which is exactly what we need in a broadcast partner).

But coming from someone who has watched the A-League since day 1, the standard has never been better. The players and quality of youth has never been better.

The difference now is that the game is a lot more tactical and coaching is more astute. The key to WU winning the GF was WU starving McLaren and Leckie of possession, and get them on the counter against a team with an ordinary defence. And they did it beautifully.

I know Prijovic scored one and was unlucky enough to not be handed a second goal, but to me Risdon should have been given the Joe Marsden medal. He gave Leckie a bath.
You won't attract new support or even hold onto the current support with boring slow games like that Ian. The games can be tactical and the coaching can be astute but at the end of the day it must be entertaining to watch. Once people in the crowd at a GF start yawning, and people at home switch off then the game is in big trouble. Ch 10 can polish it up all they like but the product has to sell itself.
Disagree with you that the game has never been better. IMO the peak was Ange's dynasty at the Roar. It's been getting worse every year since IMO. As I said I grew up with the game and used to watch it weekly but now I honestly can't watch it anymore. The game needs more exciting attacking football - this is the only way it'll prosper.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You won't attract new support or even hold onto the current support with boring slow games like that Ian. The games can be tactical and the coaching can be astute but at the end of the day it must be entertaining to watch. Once people in the crowd at a GF start yawning, and people at home switch off then the game is in big trouble. Ch 10 can polish it up all they like but the product has to sell itself.
Disagree with you that the game has never been better. IMO the peak was Ange's dynasty at the Roar. It's been getting worse every year since IMO. As I said I grew up with the game and used to watch it weekly but now I honestly can't watch it anymore. The game needs more exciting attacking football - this is the only way it'll prosper.
sounds like the A- league needs to headhunt SHocking to take over.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

i didn't find it slow, but i was there. Anyway, i accept your point. In Australia we are playing to a largely naive audience and we need to entertain more.

Nah, could not disagree more if I tried.

Sure, Ange-ball was great to watch at the time. but the all-round skill of the game has improved significantly since then. During the Ange years at Brisbane there was 2.72 goals scored per game in 2010-11 and 2.75 in 2011-12. The last 2 years have been 2.93 and 2.90, despite teams being far better defensively.

I think a good example was Barcelona v the A-League allstars last week. Sure, Barca probably treated it as a bit of a holiday. But to balance it out, the allstars only had a few days to get some cohesion going… yet they were still highly competitive. In fact, it was only the overrated Andrew Redmayne that stopped them from getting a result.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
i reckon the A-league gets a bit of a free pass for season, marketing wise.
the fixturing was a disaster, due to Covid.
But there are no excuses next year. they need to publicize better, and do a better job tapping into local clubs to build fan bases.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i reckon the A-league gets a bit of a free pass for season, marketing wise.
the fixturing was a disaster, due to Covid.
But there are no excuses next year. they need to publicize better, and do a better job tapping into local clubs to build fan bases.

Yep, the time for excuses is over now. they have their $140 investment money, so we should see better marketing. No more COVID impacted fixtures. Lot of talk about marquee players. Women’s world cup coming to our shores. CH10/Paramount have had a full year to adjust, plus there is talk about a push into pubs. COVID is no longer impacting community engagement. etc, etc, etc

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Victory have signed Nani for 2 years. Brisbane have signed Charlie Austin, who i think will do well. Its looking like there will be some bigger name signings next season. Gotta make the most of the men’s world cup later in the year and the home women’s world cup next June.

Fixture comes out next week. R1 starts on October 7. Australia Cup (Formerly FFA Cup) round of 32 fixtures has been drawn as well (Final to be played on October 1). A-League women’s season has been extended to 20 games with a full home and away fixture coming the season after.

A-League 2 is almost certainly starting in 2023. I am hearing rumours that South Melbourne’s application has been rejected. :mhihi