A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
The clubs wrestling control of the A-League from the FFA hasn't worked out that well. Pride won't allow it to happen, but there's a fair argument the clubs should concentrate on managing the clubs and hand control back to the FA
so true,

Be careful what you wish for

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
First time I've ever read this thread, as I've said before I openly admit to hating soccer as a game and as an AFL lover these jerks hurting the sport suits my interests.

What interests me is I haven't seen anything in this thread about what the game is doing about this? The AFL cop a lot of criticism on here and rightly so at times, but I guarantee if this happened at an AFL game within 24 hours they would come out and hit hard.

Where's the response from soccer?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
First time I've ever read this thread, as I've said before I openly admit to hating soccer as a game and as an AFL lover these jerks hurting the sport suits my interests.

What interests me is I haven't seen anything in this thread about what the game is doing about this? The AFL cop a lot of criticism on here and rightly so at times, but I guarantee if this happened at an AFL game within 24 hours they would come out and hit hard.

Where's the response from soccer?
I reckon you are right, the AFL would come out quick with a response, because so much of what the AFL does is driven by appearances.
The A-League has given Victory a few days to respond, allowing time all round for more facts to come out. until today it wasn't known who was responsible and what links they had to the club and its supporter groups. As more facts become known the chance of a fair outcome increase.

The AFL on the other hand would have issued a few big statements, dished out a few punishments to the easiest targets, then swept whatever was inconvenient under the carpet.

Reactions: 6 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
OK, so after thinking it all through, I am probably not going to comment any further on the events of Saturday night. People will probably spin and/or criticise anything I have to say because it’ll be taken in a different way, so I am going to leave it alone. I’m just not in the mood for it.

All I will say that I am shocked and appalled. I am shattered for my club and my game. 99.9% of us feel this way, but 100% of us will be categorised with these dogs. James Johnson hit the nail on the head when he said that these people are not real football fans. They are C U Next Tuesday Sam.

We will cop whatever penalty we cop and we deserve it. All that is left is to pick up the pieces and that will take a long, long time. Football will survive because it always does, but it’s hard to see where the light comes from at this early stage.

I am fairly certain I will not be attending any more games this year (if we are allowed to) as there is now zero chance the APL decision will be overturned. Despite the events of Saturday, I will still be standing my ground on this, and I hope the boycotts by the other teams continue.

Luckily for me, I have a lot to occupy myself over the summer months. And I can probably change my flights for Adelaide Away next month to the Adelaide v Richmond game in March.

And before anyone asks, I will be keeping my membership to financially support the club. And I will remain a shareholder. This club has given me some of the best experiences of my life and I have made so many friends. I love this club. I am Melbourne Victory Til I Die.
Great response BinMan. Stand by your club 100% they need the good people to survive.

No sport hurts itself more than football in Australia. You couldn't plan anything worse after the World Cup delight.

May as well never happened.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The clubs wrestling control of the A-League from the FFA hasn't worked out that well. Pride won't allow it to happen, but there's a fair argument the clubs should concentrate on managing the clubs and hand control back to the FA

I think it was Stephen Lowy who said “Be careful what you wish for” on the last day he was FFA Chairman. Its hard to disagree with that right now. I still feel the right decision was made to “uncouple,” but there is little doubt right now that its too much of a conflict to have A-League club board members on the APL board (plus Silver Lake).

Going back to being run by the FA, means the money is spread differently due to differences in priorities. There was a time under Gallop where the A-League received very little priority.

Being separate means the A-Leagues can use its revenue to run its leagues and FA can use their revenue to run the various national teams and related programs.

But I will add that Football Australia still receives 10% of all new revenues created by the APL and has the right of veto for any decision made by the APL if they believe it is not in the best interests of the game domestically.

Pretty sure I stated this last week, but the FA could have vetoed the 3 year GF deal with DNSW (and they still can).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have said before that I don't really follow soccer much at all, it is a good game but I prefer the original footy, Australian Rules.

But one thing I have never understood is the fans bringing flares to the games, and the fact they manage to get them in to the ground. Clearly the flares cause a lot of problems.

Why are flares not more vigorously confiscated?

There would have been a far different situation the other night if there were no flares and no metal bucket to douse the flares in.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I have said before that I don't really follow soccer much at all, it is a good game but I prefer the original footy, Australian Rules.

But one thing I have never understood is the fans bringing flares to the games, and the fact they manage to get them in to the ground. Clearly the flares cause a lot of problems.

Why are flares not more vigorously confiscated?

There would have been a far different situation the other night if there were no flares and no metal bucket to douse the flares in.

DS

This whole throwing of flares is a trend that started at Fed Square during the world cup and continued on Saturday. Personally, I don’t find flares as offensive as I used to, but throwing them is completely and utterly f@rked and I support a long ban for anyone who does this.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The AFL on the other hand would have issued a few big statements, dished out a few punishments to the easiest targets, then swept whatever was inconvenient under the carpet.

Completely disagree, I think the AFL has a pretty strong record on acting on crowd behaviour and if anything are usually accused of going too hard on it.

I suspect if an incident like this happened at an AFL game we'd be talking huge penalties, banning crowds, clubs losing points, forfeiting games and so on.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This whole throwing of flares is a trend that started at Fed Square during the world cup and continued on Saturday. Personally, I don’t find flares as offensive as I used to, but throwing them is completely and utterly f@rked and I support a long ban for anyone who does this.

My soccer hating perspective is the problem the game has is it is so boring that the crowd becomes the entertainment. Even the positive crowd stuff, the singing of songs etc is driven because what is happening in the stands is more interesting than on the ground.

It's the same thing cricket used to experience in one day games with huge crowds. In the overs in the middle of an innings when things were steady and predictable people would start waves and throw stuff around.

Maybe they should change the rules to make it easier to score?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
My soccer hating perspective is the problem the game has is it is so boring that the crowd becomes the entertainment. Even the positive crowd stuff, the singing of songs etc is driven because what is happening in the stands is more interesting than on the ground.

It's the same thing cricket used to experience in one day games with huge crowds. In the overs in the middle of an innings when things were steady and predictable people would start waves and throw stuff around.

Same is said about gridiron. Some countries have a lot of back and forth style as you'd see in the World Cup, but the EPL format is more proactive with attack and is nowhere near boring. You have to develop and grow with the feel of the game to adapt. It takes time.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Maybe thats because people like you have no appreciation for the skill of the game and where the excitement comes from.

I've seen some god awful games, that end up 6-0 or 7-0. There is literally no competition between the teams, and some of the best games I've seen have ended 0-0. You are as bad as Dana White who complained, that "why is it so difficult to score, look at the size of the goal". We could say the same about the AFL. The goal is so big, how do they miss????

Its ignorance to what makes the sport great, and just assuming because you watch a sport where more goals are scored, that more goals makes a better game.

• Love

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Same is said about gridiron. Some countries have a lot of back and forth style as you'd see in the World Cup, but the EPL format is more proactive with attack and is nowhere near boring. You have to develop and grow with the feel of the game to adapt. It takes time.

I wonder if our Sokkah hating friend who is openly hostile towards the game and wants it to fail... and who is probably here to gloat about what occurred on the weekend… actually knows which sport literally every single gameplan, system and tactics in AFL is stolen from?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Completely disagree, I think the AFL has a pretty strong record on acting on crowd behaviour and if anything are usually accused of going too hard on it.

I suspect if an incident like this happened at an AFL game we'd be talking huge penalties, banning crowds, clubs losing points, forfeiting games and so on.
Before they knew all the details?

You've said yourself most teams were taking performance enhancing drugs at one point, but the AFL just ignored it.
The AFL "punished" Melbourne, but not for tanking.
The AFL refused to get involved in the booing of Adam Goodes until they had no choice.
I could go on.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Maybe thats because people like you have no appreciation for the skill of the game and where the excitement comes from.

Me and the sizeable group of people who seem to want to light and chuck flares, fight, sing or generally do anything other than watch the actual game it seems.

I wonder if our Sokkah hating friend who is openly hostile towards the game and wants it to fail... and who is probably here to gloat about what occurred on the weekend… actually knows which sport literally every single gameplan, system and tactics in AFL is stolen from?

I know that's not true, I have it on good authority Scott Pendlebury brought in some basketball tactics.

Before they knew all the details?

You've said yourself most teams were taking performance enhancing drugs at one point, but the AFL just ignored it.
The AFL "punished" Melbourne, but not for tanking.
The AFL refused to get involved in the booing of Adam Goodes until they had no choice.
I could go on.

What details do you need apart from crowd storms ground, assaults players and cause game to be called off?

The first two things you mentioned have nothing to do with crowd behaviour and the third, as horrible as it was didn't actually involve any behaviour that was actionable so it was difficult to manage. What should have happened was the players from the opposition clubs should have stopped when there was booing and refused to play. That was discussed but flinched at and ultimately everyone apologised for that.

Fact is we've never seen anything like this type of riot at an AFL game and hopefully we never will but I feel certain if we did the repercussions for the clubs involved would be swift and strong.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

This hoary old chestnut again.

Next you'll want to abolish the offside law

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yeah, but why are flares at the game at all? Flares at soccer games is not just in Australia and not just recently. They're dangerous and need to be confiscated before they get in the ground.

I am not a fan of soccer, but you have to watch a decent game to really get the feel of it. The thing with soccer is that, like Australian Rules, it just keeps moving. Gridiron and Rugby, and to some extent Basketball with the time outs, stop and start, which is not great for the spectator. Both Soccer and Australian Rules are go go go which makes for a good game to watch. The lack of scoring is frustrating in soccer, but that is not going to change any time soon, it is in the nature of the game. In any case, they enlarged the goals back in the early 70s wasn't it (and when you consider Pele's goal from the middle was to the old, smaller, goal it is even more astounding). Plus the tension is good and it also means a lowly team can sometimes pull off an upset. It is a good game, I just prefer Australian Rules.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The lack of scoring is frustrating in soccer, but that is not going to change any time soon, it is in the nature of the game. In any case, they enlarged the goals back in the early 70s wasn't it (and when you consider Pele's goal from the middle was to the old, smaller, goal it is even more astounding). Plus the tension is good and it also means a lowly team can sometimes pull off an upset. It is a good game, I just prefer Australian Rules.

The World Cup Final was a cracking match to watch. There wasn't much down time when you could relax. 3-3 before penalties. Pretty sure there was an AFL match this year where @lolNorf only kicked 3 goals.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The World Cup Final was a cracking match to watch. There wasn't much down time when you could relax. 3-3 before penalties. Pretty sure there was an AFL match this year where @lolNorf only kicked 3 goals.

The World Cup Final, the biggest game in Soccer every 4 years . . . yeah, it should be a cracking game. But it isn't always such a good game, when Italy play . . .

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The World Cup Final, the biggest game in Soccer every 4 years . . . yeah, it should be a cracking game. But it isn't always such a good game, when Italy play . . .

DS

Keep up David. Italy haven't qualified for the World Cup since 2014

• Haha