A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Don't worry, in 6 months the active fans will be whingeing like victims again about onerous security etc etc

And I bet they'll be saying none of the pitch invaders were active supporters and none of those clapping the invasion from the stands were active supporters.

Reactions: 1 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
In terms of power v endurance ratio i would assume footy is up there pretty high. But in terms of skill level, its very poor IMO.

The vast majority of players are one sided. Many players can’t hit a target from 20m. Many players can’t kick between a set of goals 6.4m in width from 30m. Players can’t stick a bloody tackle. I can’t think of a sport that has a worse record of inaccuracy/failure when it comes to the key skills of a game.

Tony Locket was considered one of the most accurate kicks for goal in AFL history and has a career accuracy record of 69.74%. I will also add that they do not count any “out of bounds on the full” in these stats (which would no doubt reduce these numbers).

Jonny Wilkinson was considered the best goal kicker in Rugby and had a career accuracy record of 86.23% (this is all time stats for club and country). And goal posts have a much smaller width at 5.6m in that sport.
AFL we have turned players who were Australian National Team Union and League players into AFL Senior players - someone even won a game for their team once!!

We've turned many Irish Gaelic Footballers into AFL Premiership Players and likely continue to do so.
The Gaelic boys can also convert to the world game - players like Seamus Coleman, John O'Shea, Neil Lennon and on and on and on transitioned to the world game.
The NFL has seen Australian's take over their punting position, so at least one position in American Football is easy to play for people not experienced in their game.

Yet no way on any highway can I ever see an Australian AFL/NRL/RU or an American having grown up playing gridiron, then at the ages 18-19-20 - or whatever age you can throw at me - will likely NEVER play Professional Football in the EPL, La Liga, Germany, Italy or even our Australian National team.

Sorry, I just can't see anyone from here doing that the same way a Zach Tuohy, Tadhg Kennelly, Jim Stynes - Wow, he even won a Brownlow lol, have been able to transition easily into our great game.

Here's a brilliant find if I say so myself :clap2

Xabi Alonso has an All Ireland football medal. His spell in GAA may have been brief but at the age of 15, Alonso went to Kells, County Meath, on a school exchange programme to learn English. There he helped the local Kells junior Gaelic Football team win an All Ireland Junior club title in Keating Park, Cahersiveen.

1671786876740.png

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
AFL we have turned players who were Australian National Team Union and League players into AFL Senior players - someone even won a game for their team once!!

We've turned many Irish Gaelic Footballers into AFL Premiership Players and likely continue to do so.
The Gaelic boys can also convert to the world game - players like Seamus Coleman, John O'Shea, Neil Lennon and on and on and on transitioned to the world game.
The NFL has seen Australian's take over their punting position, so at least one position in American Football is easy to play for people not experienced in their game.

Yet no way on any highway can I ever see an Australian AFL/NRL/RU or an American having grown up playing gridiron, then at the ages 18-19-20 - or whatever age you can throw at me - will likely NEVER play Professional Football in the EPL, La Liga, Germany, Italy or even our Australian National team.

Sorry, I just can't see anyone from here doing that the same way a Zach Tuohy, Tadhg Kennelly, Jim Stynes - Wow, he even won a Brownlow lol, have been able to transition easily into our great game.

Here's a brilliant find if I say so myself :clap2

Xabi Alonso has an All Ireland football medal. His spell in GAA may have been brief but at the age of 15, Alonso went to Kells, County Meath, on a school exchange programme to learn English. There he helped the local Kells junior Gaelic Football team win an All Ireland Junior club title in Keating Park, Cahersiveen.

View attachment 17729
It’s a bit of a rock, paper scissors game for who would be able to convert to what, depending on their sporting background. While I see it as unlikely any elite Australian Rules players would cross successfully to the world game elite level at a late age. I’d suggest really good Australian Rules players would be able able to convert to Gaelic Football the same way really good Garlic players have been able to convert the other way around. But the fact that it’s an amateur sport, means there is zero incentive to do it. Plus there would be nearly zero situations where a really talented Australian rules player during their formative years (while participating in elite AFL youth pathway programmes) would find the stars aligning, that they find themselves in Ireland with the opportunity to give it a go.

Last edited:

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Just read yesterday's news from Football Australia.

Derby will be replayed in April from the 22nd minute.

What a joke of a league.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Just read yesterday's news from Football Australia.

Derby will be replayed in April from the 22nd minute.

What a joke of a league.

The biggest joke is that opposition supporters and neutrals think the penalty isn’t harsh enough. The opposite is true. But I’m not gonna carry on about my reasons on this thread because people who don’t know what they’re talking about will attempt to shoot me down or dispute me. I don’t have the energy for it.

Anyway, this might well be my last post on this thread. I am walking away from the A-League, possibly for good. Right now I feel like I am done. I am just completely and utterly bewildered.

We all know Australian Football has habit of shooting itself in the foot. But I genuinely believe this is the straw that broke the camel’s back. The A-League is almost certainly finished. The 4,300 that turned up at the Brisbane game last week is the future of Melbourne Victory attendances. Its unsustainable.

I feel very sad, but I just can’t stomach the recent decisions made by the APL, FA and the bull5**t going on at Melbourne Victory re the debt and the takeover by 777 Partners. The fans are being put last. They can all go and get f’ed.

People do not yet understand the ramifications of all of these decisions, but they will know by the end of the season. Just wait.

Reactions: 1 user

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Perhaps with all your knowledge of the situation you could explain your reasoning further?
My reasoning to suggest A-League is a Joke?

For one...half of Melbourne knew something was going to happen at the 20 minute mark of the match in question (and it did)

They were going to do a polite, quiet walk out....yeh right.

It was never just a walk out and the A-League knew something was brewing.
Victory supporters were on social media for the first 20 minutes of the match and the night before planning what to do. I've seen hundreds of msgs.

Running on to the pitch and Throwing a Flare bin at the goalkeeper (seriously) wtf.
I've only ever been to 2 Victory matches and both times, the 2 Victory cheersquads got it punch ups with one another.
Apparently they didn't like each other or something.
This was 10 years ago though.

Ian you seem pretty good but mate my limited experience with A League, I just shake my head.

The punishment seems a little harsh but why replay the stupid match again and bring all negative media out again.
That's what's going to happen.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
The reality is, as a spectator sport in this country, it is a minnow and is likely to always be a minnow in the forseeable future. My kids play soccer and I am involved with the club and its a great game and a great bunch of people. But not many parents of kids that play actually attend the A-league games - despite getting plenty of free tickets. I'm not sure what will change that.

One things for sure, removing the *smile* element from the crowd, incl the flares, will be a good start.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
My reasoning to suggest A-League is a Joke?

For one...half of Melbourne knew something was going to happen at the 20 minute mark of the match in question (and it did)

They were going to do a polite, quiet walk out....yeh right.

It was never just a walk out and the A-League knew something was brewing.
Victory supporters were on social media for the first 20 minutes of the match and the night before planning what to do. I've seen hundreds of msgs.

Running on to the pitch and Throwing a Flare bin at the goalkeeper (seriously) wtf.
I've only ever been to 2 Victory matches and both times, the 2 Victory cheersquads got it punch ups with one another.
Apparently they didn't like each other or something.
This was 10 years ago though.

Ian you seem pretty good but mate my limited experience with A League, I just shake my head.

The punishment seems a little harsh but why replay the stupid match again and bring all negative media out again.
That's what's going to happen.

For context, can you share screen shots of any of these messages?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The reality is, as a spectator sport in this country, it is a minnow and is likely to always be a minnow in the forseeable future. My kids play soccer and I am involved with the club and its a great game and a great bunch of people. But not many parents of kids that play actually attend the A-league games - despite getting plenty of free tickets. I'm not sure what will change that.

One things for sure, removing the *smile* element from the crowd, incl the flares, will be a good start.
Too true, lots of kids playing, but few have interest in A League, and that wont change for a long time.
I went Sat night to City v Western United. It was a good game if you are a City fan- they dominated, and were good to watch. WU were rubbish.
Not sure the crowd figure but it was very low.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

For context, can you share screen shots of any of these messages?
INtersting article. No real data per capita etc. I get out of it that he's suggesting the only ones that want to attend are loud fans who think they are the spectatcle that like lighting flares and damaging seats. And that no one wants to watch the game on TV.........seems a super sustainable model for the future of the game hey?

Where does giving fans licence to damage property (inside and outside the stadium), take over streets, threaten fellow fan groups and light flares stop? It stops with them invading pitches and assaulting players when they don't agree with decisions of governing bodies (not that these decisions are always for the good of the game).

IMO It's just a bit of fun (lighting flares and damaging seats) can quickly get out of hand if its indulged.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
NOT A League but another spectator jumped the pitch and kicked Arsenals goal keeper in the soccer last night.

Crazy.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
NOT A League but another spectator jumped the pitch and kicked Arsenals goal keeper in the soccer last night.

Crazy.
Probably an irate emotionally redlining Arsenal fan who is livin on the edge as the Gunners might tease their fans all the way to heartache come the seasons end after sitting pretty for the majority of the season so far.............