A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Is he the former Adelaide guy?

I'm not sure if I like the appintment tbh. Feels too safe. But in saying that, it's very tricky to bring in an overseas coach if he doesn't understand the league. It takes them 6-12 months to work it out. Babbel at WSW is a good example.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It hasn't come with much fanfare, but Monday was the biggest day for the game in Australia since the formation of the A-League. The A-League, W-League, Y-League will now be independant of the FFA. Its my understanding that the model is very similar to what the premier league adopted in 1992. The key points are listed in the below link.

Any Victory transfer rumours Ian?

the big rumour is that we're chasing Shinji Okazaki. He just left Leicester City. But there are a lot of these types of rumours this time of the year. We need to get a move on. We only have a squad of 12-13 and our first FFA cup game is in 5 weeks. It looks like James Troisi is going to Adelaide.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
What has happened to this thread - does no one care about the A League anymore? Or is it that Victory seem to be rubbish.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
What has happened to this thread - does no one care about the A League anymore? Or is it that Victory seem to be rubbish.

I do of course, but I've been talking to myself on this thread for a long time now. We are rubbish this year and its not a good thing for the league. people don't wanna admit this, but the ALeague is healthier when Victory are doing well.

Both. Wasn't soccer supposed to overtake the AFL by now....

haha. the ALeague is going through a slump, no doubt. there are lots of reason's why this is happening, but the main reason is that the game has been run appallingly by the FFA. Personally, I think we have reached rock bottom, and we will only go up from here.

And you know what? there is a lot of upside. The ALeague has just about reached a deal to go independent. we are expanding. the second division is coming. There is a lot more youth coming through. and the quality of football on the pitch this season has never been better.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
haha. the ALeague is going through a slump, no doubt. there are lots of reason's why this is happening, but the main reason is that the game has been run appallingly by the FFA. Personally, I think we have reached rock bottom, and we will only go up from here.

And you know what? there is a lot of upside. The ALeague has just about reached a deal to go independent. we are expanding. the second division is coming. There is a lot more youth coming through. and the quality of football on the pitch this season has never been better.

Let's hope so Bin. I'm not bullshitting mate. It would be great to have another sport to follow during summer, but the A-League is sometimes below average when it comes to quality. The 2nd division could make it worse who knows, but as usual it's the fatcats (FFA) who sit back, do nothing and soak the $$$$$ in.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Let's hope so Bin. I'm not bullshitting mate. It would be great to have another sport to follow during summer, but the A-League is sometimes below average when it comes to quality. The 2nd division could make it worse who knows, but as usual it's the fatcats (FFA) who sit back, do nothing and soak the $$$$$ in.

I think people's expectations are too high. we are never gonna be like the premier league. but it is improving every year and the games have been great to watch.

but the league is getting lost in the marketplace atm. there is no doubt about it. and the lack of marketing and promotion comes down to the lack of money. it’s a serious issue. no one knows when the games are on.

then ALegaue was also collateral damage with the whole Fox/CBS rivalry relating to the buyout of ch 10. there were gonna be 2 games per week on ch 10, but the fallout from that meant that both sides were unable to thrash out a deal to see this go ahead.

however, the independent ALeague will have more funds to play with from next season. they will be receiving 90% of all revenues for the league, which should help a lot. when the FFA was running the league, not all of the ALeague revenue was being returned to the ALeague. That is changing. its my understanding that they have a manifesto they wanna adopt and there will be some significant changes next season. they are being advised by the Richard Scudamore (former boss of the EPL), which is encouraging.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Great to see Bes knock a couple in against carlton victory, surprised no discussion about it

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's a very quiet thread these days. Carlton Victory supporters proving the Carlton moniker is an apt one.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Victory have sacked Marco Kurz.

yep, very happy and I predicted it after Sunday's fiasco. we tried to defend a lead by putting numbers behind the ball against the team who has won the last 3-4 wooden spoons. unacceptable. it’s not the Victory way and had to be the final straw.

and it’s good to see the club has finally woken up from its 2 year malaise. This week alone, they have let go 2 players, brought home a favourite son and sacked the coach. it’s been a big week. it’s too late for this season, but at least we can start planning much earlier for next season after being so far behind the ball in preparations for this season.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Goodbye A- League. If Hyundai don't renew, I can't see any other major sponsor likely to help.

Fun while it lasted but will never reach the standards of at least Div 3 (League 1) in the UK.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Goodbye A- League. If Hyundai don't renew, I can't see any other major sponsor likely to help.

FFA are so far denying this, so we'll see. as for major sponsors, we're talking about the world game remember? There will always be corporate interest. As to whether they're willing to pay as much as Hyundai is another story. This is where the Lowy's were so good, so the pressure will be on the new board and the newly appointed commercial manager Tom Rischbieth.

Fun while it lasted but will never reach the standards of at least Div 3 (League 1) in the UK.

So you think. I was listening to the Fox Sports Football podcast the other day and Simon Hill was so frustrated that the ALeague is regarded lesser by the Australian public than it is by people overseas. He reckons the ALeague is above league 1 level and would hold their own against mid-lower table championship teams. and after seeing a couple of championship games a few years ago myself, i would agree with him. I think the standard is as good as its ever been.

Reactions: 1 users