A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Last night a 1:0 loss to Adelaide in Adelaide, fairly ordinary but not helped by a hamstring injury for our key striker and another man down later in the game.

another Adelaide away. another loss. I think that’s something like 6 in a row. We simply had no avenue to goal after Gestede went off. And we are cursed with injuries. I was on the same flight home as the boys yesterday and McManaman was in serious discomfort. he'll be out for a while. Gestede doesn't look as bad, but it'll still be a couple of weeks you'd think. And we have to back up against Perth tomorrow night. You can tell already we are in for a long season.

On a sidenote, A-League officials buggered up badly with the kickoff time. it should have kicked off after sunset. It seems like the game is still being dictated to by TV. But I guess the move to winter will put an end to this issue.

Quality of the games seems pretty good, or is that not the case?

Kosta Barbarouses (or the snake as we call him) came out in the media last week and said the standard has lifted significantly this year. I think the biggest plus is that so many teams are playing kids. Its refreshing. And good for the national team.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It has just dawned on me that Simon Hill is missing from the A League commentary this year. Big loss.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It has just dawned on me that Simon Hill is missing from the A League commentary this year. Big loss.
Very big.

Dunno why fox cut him and kept some of the others.

Was at the Viktree game tonight - not great, but over the journey they've given me a lot of joy so am prepared to support them when they are down.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Was at the Viktree game tonight - not great, but over the journey they've given me a lot of joy so am prepared to support them when they are down.

I feel for BinMan who declared on this thread that Victory were his now #1 Team that he passionately supports and RFC had been relegated to 2nd place behind Victory.

I fear it he flips back again that might be the end of our Premiership run.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I feel for BinMan who declared on this thread that Victory were his now #1 Team that he passionately supports and RFC had been relegated to 2nd place behind Victory.

I fear it he flips back again that might be the end of our Premiership run.

Definitely if Richmond are good then Victory are bad or vica versa

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Geez what has happened to the Melbourne Victory. Might be the Essendon of Carlton of the A League

The club has gone downhill since we held all 3 trophies in 2015. Now we have reached rock bottom.

Its pretty easy to understand what has happened. The club believed they could take short cuts and get away with it. Winning the toilet seat in 2018 from 4th was the worst thing to happen to us because it created a perception internally that we could win trophies from anywhere.

Appointing Brebner as coach when he is not ready is the latest example. they chose the cheap option instead of investing properly. And some people have had enough. Richard Wilson (owns 16% of the club) has decided to sell his share of the club because he doesn’t agree with the direction we are going.

As for Kev, let me be clear here… He left because he could also see the writing on the wall. Its no coincidence budget cuts in the football department correlates to an increase in injuries.

There are many other things i get get into (treatment of fans, stadium contracts, ticket pricing, the centre of excellence failure), but i'd be here all day. the club is asbolutely stuffed atm. change needs to happen and needs to happen fast.

Fox and Simon Hill's relationship was untenable in the end. SH got sick of Fox Sports hostility and deliberate takedown of the A-League. They have not been shy in trying to devalue the league and Fox employees such as Simon Hill were muffled while they did it. But thankfully it will be all over soon. Fox Sports will not be broadcasting the A-League next season. And there are a number of suitors ready and willing to take over. refer to the article below.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The club has gone downhill since we held all 3 trophies in 2015. Now we have reached rock bottom.

Its pretty easy to understand what has happened. The club believed they could take short cuts and get away with it. Winning the toilet seat in 2018 from 4th was the worst thing to happen to us because it created a perception internally that we could win trophies from anywhere.

Appointing Brebner as coach when he is not ready is the latest example. they chose the cheap option instead of investing properly. And some people have had enough. Richard Wilson (owns 16% of the club) has decided to sell his share of the club because he doesn’t agree with the direction we are going.

As for Kev, let me be clear here… He left because he could also see the writing on the wall. Its no coincidence budget cuts in the football department correlates to an increase in injuries.

There are many other things i get get into (treatment of fans, stadium contracts, ticket pricing, the centre of excellence failure), but i'd be here all day. the club is asbolutely stuffed atm. change needs to happen and needs to happen fast.

Fox and Simon Hill's relationship was untenable in the end. SH got sick of Fox Sports hostility and deliberate takedown of the A-League. They have not been shy in trying to devalue the league and Fox employees such as Simon Hill were muffled while they did it. But thankfully it will be all over soon. Fox Sports will not be broadcasting the A-League next season. And there are a number of suitors ready and willing to take over. refer to the article below.

Thanks, good info Ian.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
bit of an update re the A-League TV rights which will be decided in the coming weeks. Interest seems to be very high, which might surprise a few. But one thing we all agree on is that no one wants Foxtel to win. Stan appears to be the favourite.

Nine ‘world class’ bidders in market for A-League broadcast rights, says Lederer

UPDATED 3 DAYS AGO BY DAVE LEWIS

Existing rights holder Fox Sports’ long-time deal expires in July, amid ongoing uncertainty over the identity of a future partner.

But Australian Professional Leagues chairman Paul Lederer is confident a deal will be inked in the coming weeks, adding he’s been taken aback by the level of interest from across the globe in the domestic competition.

The APL is spearheading negotiations after the recent unbundling from Football Australia.

Whilst reluctant to dive into specifics, the billionaire Western Sydney Wanderers chief confirmed that Fox Sports were among the interested parties along with the likes of Channel Nine-owned streaming service Stan Sport.

But he said a broad spectrum of bidders had thrown their hats in the ring to discuss taking up a rights package, likely to also include the W-League.

“We’re talking to nine different parties,” he revealed. “There’s been a hell of a lot of interest, a lot of different people and important companies from around the world.

“These are very prominent, world class providers. It’s getting close, very close. I think by the end of April, or May, this will all be resolved.

"It’s exciting ... that’s all I can tell you.”

In addition to Stan and Fox - who renegotiated a reduced one-year contract worth $28 million after the COVID-19 pandemic struck - heavyweights like Amazon Prime, DAZN, Hulu, fuboTV and Optus may also be eyeing the competition.

Whilst professing surprise at the sheer numbers of bidders, Lederer said it was driven by a thirst for content.

He also stated it was possible the A-League could be shown across more than a single platform.

“There are a number of varieties and options - and people are looking at different things,” he said.

“Everyone is looking for entertainment. We’re the world game, after all, the most popular sport on earth, and it shouldn’t be surprising (the extent of the interest).

“It’s also been a great season in terms of action ... it’s been phenomenal so far. Probably the most exciting A-League season we’ve seen.

“The games are tight, the league is gripping. That’s been the unanimous view of most of the people I talk to.”

With 166 A-League players coming off contract this year, and a new salary cap still to be determined, Lederer’s positive prognosis may give cause for optimism among the rank and file.

“Of course, we’ll sitting down with Professional Footballers Australia, as we always do,” he added.

“We want to do the right thing by our fans, our players and everybody involved in the game.”

SOURCE SBS THE WORLD GAME

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
bit of an update re the A-League TV rights which will be decided in the coming weeks. Interest seems to be very high, which might surprise a few. But one thing we all agree on is that no one wants Foxtel to win. Stan appears to be the favourite.
Im not into the politics of sport but why no to Foxtel binman ?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
ManU showing interest in Central Coast mariners but would want to relocate them to the northern beaches. Interesting times.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Im not into the politics of sport but why no to Foxtel binman ?

refer to my post #6290 above on this page and the Simon Hill article.

People have been angry for a while because Foxtel has had too much of an influence over expansion and the fixture. But more recently, Foxtel have been deliberately undermining and devaluing the ALeague and their A-League commentators have been muzzled. Now all of a sudden they are interested again? They can GAGF.

ManU showing interest in Central Coast mariners but would want to relocate them to the northern beaches. Interesting times.

it’s great that there is so many interested overseas investors, but I can't support CCM relocating to Northern Sydney. When the second tier starts, we're gonna have another 2-3 teams each from Melbourne and Sydney you would expect. So we don't wanna get rid of one of the only regional teams.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Why not Fox Ian?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Why not Fox Ian?

Read back on this page @jb03. i have gone into the Foxtel issues a little bit. Post #6290 and #6295

Furthermore, if you look at the A-League coverage on Fox in recent seasons, you will have noticed much less content. no pre-and post game shows. They have dumped the weekend preview and round-up shows. Cheaper production at games (they’re only using 3 cameras). They’re using presenters as commentators (eg. Adam Peacock and Bozza). They are promoting other sports during the coverage. Etc, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Read back on this page @jb03. i have gone into the Foxtel issues a little bit. Post #6290 and #6295

Furthermore, if you look at the A-League coverage on Fox in recent seasons, you will have noticed much less content. no pre-and post game shows. They have dumped the weekend preview and round-up shows. Cheaper production at games (they’re only using 3 cameras). They’re using presenters as commentators (eg. Adam Peacock and Bozza). They are promoting other sports during the coverage. Etc, etc.
Yep - and not enough Tara Rushton

• Sad