A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
i'm not the slightest bit upset. it’s the result that need to happen to shake things up. the management of Victory is nothing short of appalling. I do feel sorry for Brebner. He just wasn’t up to it. Its not his fault the club appointed him.

I always thought that Victory had a "Carlton" feel about them, a certain arrogance that left me a bit cold. I do hope they get their act together & pronto, the A League needs a strong Victory team to offset the "Sydney bias" that seems to exist.
In the meantime Go Melbourne City.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I always thought that Victory had a "Carlton" feel about them, a certain arrogance that left me a bit cold. I do hope they get their act together & pronto, the A League needs a strong Victory team to offset the "Sydney bias" that seems to exist.
In the meantime Go Melbourne City.

I never understood that.

I actually have a bit of sympathy for city because they could be screwed. Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers clash with the A-League finals in June. They will definitely lose McLaren. Possibly Nabbout and Good. I can see Sydney benefitting as always.

JoMamma

Tiger Rookie
Oct 4, 2004
Very poor turnout by the self anointed best supporters in the league.

Nothing quite like a bad run to show us how deep the passion runs....

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Nothing quite like a bad run to show us how deep the passion runs....
To be fair, it was probably not just a run of the mill no show, it would have been an Active No Show

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It was always there from Day 1.

its not tangible to me.

it was the biggest turnout of the year. The A-League have copped it when it comes to fan accessibility. active support was banned up until 2 weeks ago. I thought the North End was brilliant on saturday, despite the result.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
its not tangible to me.

it was the biggest turnout of the year. The A-League have copped it when it comes to fan accessibility. active support was banned up until 2 weeks ago. I thought the North End was brilliant on saturday, despite the result.

No tangible to you because you are one of them!!

As a football neutral, Victory have always had an arrogance, and accordingly, a high "dislikeability" factor for me. There's not a more arrogant fan base in any sport in Australia IMO. They think they are bigger than the club and the sport itself. Knobs.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
As a football neutral, Victory have always had an arrogance, and accordingly, a high "dislikeability" factor for me. There's not a more arrogant fan base in any sport in Australia IMO. They think they are bigger than the club and the sport itself. Knobs.

yep. that's load of crap. i have never come across so many nice people that are now mates of mine. it’s so culturally different to footy where you rarely make new friends going to games and pubs. Victory is like a family to me. sure, there are some knobs at the club. but it’s like that at every club in every sport. Richmond have more than their fare share.

you are entitled to your opinion. I just strongly disagree.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
yep. that's load of crap. i have never come across so many nice people that are now mates of mine. it’s so culturally different to footy where you rarely make new friends going to games and pubs. Victory is like a family to me. sure, there are some knobs at the club. but it’s like that at every club in every sport. Richmond have more than their fare share.

you are entitled to your opinion. I just strongly disagree.
You support them, of course you think they are nice. I bet Pies supporters think other Pies supporters are well balanced fair-minded individuals.

I probably should restrict my dislike to the north end knobs. I don't expect tigers fans en masse to turn their back on the club or put conditions around their participation/support as if they are actually playing the game and more important than any other component. These supporters purport to love the game, but they love their own participation more than the game itself. Self-indulgent flogs.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not my favourite Australian coach but he'll at least harden the side up. He's OS (or was) so will take a couple of weeks to get started i reckon.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Not my favourite Australian coach but he'll at least harden the side up. He's OS (or was) so will take a couple of weeks to get started i reckon.

officially starts in July.

I agree he's not the most adventurous coach going around, but he brings a hard edge and that’s what we’re lacking right now. I don’t think he’ll last for 3 years as coaching in Europe remains his ambition, but hopefully grooming a replacement will be part of the deal.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
good record in Oz but didn't he fail OS?

Good appointment I would have thought though

I've thought about this a bit more and its occured to me that the next world cup is in 19 months. Popa is probably next in line to be Socceroos coach. So it makes sense that he's in a job and gaining experience. the COVID situation over there is as much of a reason to return home than any.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If we want Popa ready for the World Cup then he needs to coach a team with decent players and a winning mentality.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users