A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Well used to having Richmond play all over the place but the thought of City needing to play their inaugural home final in Sydney is just not on. This final needs to be in Melbourne even if it's only a 20% crowd.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Well used to having Richmond play all over the place but the thought of City needing to play their inaugural home final in Sydney is just not on. This final needs to be in Melbourne even if it's only a 20% crowd.

agree 100%. the APL are pushing for a 50% AAMI Park cap for Saturday and I reckon they will get it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That was satisfying especially after going behind for a second or two.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Has this leagues season been the most uncovered and unreported season since the A Leagues inception.

No disrespect to the comp or fans but its almost as if the comp hasn't even been running.

I admit I no longer listen to SEN who used to cover it fairly well and had the Amigos on etc.

I guess playing during AFL and NRL season will do that.

Seriously though for the A league aficionados here how is the game going what shape is it in?

Honest question, cos it seems like its slipping off from its former status from 10 years ago when it was played through the summer into the start of the NRL and AFL seasons.

Congrats to City for the Title.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Has this leagues season been the most uncovered and unreported season since the A Leagues inception.

No disrespect to the comp or fans but its almost as if the comp hasn't even been running.

I admit I no longer listen to SEN who used to cover it fairly well and had the Amigos on etc.

I guess playing during AFL and NRL season will do that.

Seriously though for the A league aficionados here how is the game going what shape is it in?

Honest question, cos it seems like its slipping off from its former status from 10 years ago when it was played through the summer into the start of the NRL and AFL seasons.

Congrats to City for the Title.
When a broadcaster knows they don't have the product next year, they don't feel a need to promote it too heavily

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yeah, big announcement that 10 Paramount bought them for 5 years I think, and bought a stake in the league itself.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Congrats City. They are the lesser of 2 evils from a Victory perspective. Gotta give credit to Kisnorbo for holding his nerve and sticking with the kids when Nabbout and Noone were fit to play. Not sure what Bratten was thinking.

You might wanna read through the last 2-3 pages. there has been massive news in recent weeks regarding TV coverage and other issues. the A-League has bottomed out and its onwards and upwards from here.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Congrats City. They are the lesser of 2 evils from a Victory perspective. Gotta give credit to Kisnorbo for holding his nerve and sticking with the kids when Nabbout and Noone were fit to play. Not sure what Bratten was thinking.

yeah, when considering this game was feeling that I really didn't want Sydney FC to win another one.

Patrick Kisnorbo really looking the goods as new young coach, playing personnel helps of course. Looking forward to next season with the new broadcasting regime and hopefully more crowds.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Well done City on their first title. Only have a passing interest now and can't seem to follow and support Melb City since the take over from Melb Heart.

One thing that annoys me about the A-League is the player merry go round. I think they said in the GF telecast that this is Galloways 5th A-League club. Jameson, Brattan, Barbarousos similar. You see virtually the same players every year in different colors. The standard of soccer really hasn't improved during the past few years also and I find it frustrating how so many players from a good attacking position up the wings cut back and pass the ball backwards. The players need to be more direct and some of the coaches need to have a re-think. For all the criticism Muscat copped, he and Ange were the 2 most attacking coaches and their teams mastered the art of attacking the near post.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
One thing that annoys me about the A-League is the player merry go round. I think they said in the GF telecast that this is Galloways 5th A-League club. Jameson, Brattan, Barbarousos similar. You see virtually the same players every year in different colors.

Yeah that has annoyed me a lot over the years. I understand these are professionals so they are doing what's best for them, but it makes the comp less meaningful in terms of club loyalty and building a brand. James Troisi has played for four clubs for example.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
One thing that annoys me about the A-League is the player merry go round. I think they said in the GF telecast that this is Galloways 5th A-League club. Jameson, Brattan, Barbarousos similar. You see virtually the same players every year in different colors. The standard of soccer really hasn't improved during the past few years

I somewhat agree and disagree.

The recycled player merry-go-round has been a constant source of frustration of the fans. A lot of this has come down to uncertainty around the league with COVID and TV rights. Something like 70% of players are now out of contract now that the season has been completed. It’s a ridiculous situation that should change now that there is more certainty going forward.

One thing that will help is a player transfer system... which we believe is coming in for next season. We have already seen some players signing on 2 and 3 years deals in recent weeks.

And if you look at recent history, the club who has managed to keep most of its squad together (Sydney) has been the most successful.

As for the standard of the league, I disagree. I think the standard is as good as its ever been. Furthermore, the lowering of the salary cap has been a blessing in disguise, because it has forced clubs to play more youth and we are seeing a lot more enthusiasm and some sensational goals this year.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well done to Melbourne City coach Patrick Kisnorbo, he's a good Leeds United man.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
little bit of news.

Melbourne Victory have left Marvel Stadium and will play all home games at AAMI park from now on. The pay as you go membership structure has been dumped and they are reverting back to the traditional one.

There is a push to build the 15,000 Dandenong stadium. The state government is now seriously considering it as part of a new entertainment precinct in the region. If this gets approved, it means Melbourne City will relocate there.

• Love

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, the league will benefit from more differentiation in terms of teams and home grounds. Glad Victory are leaving the Dump even if there are some great memories from there.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Some good signings for Victory, a nice change to get ahead of the season started we have often left our run late the last few years. The most surprising one is Spiranovic, where has he been the last couple of years?