A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Some good signings for Victory, a nice change to get ahead of the season started we have often left our run late the last few years. The most surprising one is Spiranovic, where has he been the last couple of years?
Yeah Viktree mean business. Ikonomidis, Spiranovic, Davidson, Brillante, and Geria are some good signings.

Also City sign Leckie and will have a pretty decent attack along with JMac and Nabbout.

Melbourne derby should be interesting next season.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah Viktree mean business. Ikonomidis, Spiranovic, Davidson, Brillante, and Geria are some good signings.

Also City sign Leckie and will have a pretty decent attack along with JMac and Nabbout.

Melbourne derby should be interesting next season.

yeah, attack vs defence... Popovic always big on tight defence which is probably what Victory need right now.

I see the greatest ever A-League striker Besart Berisha has been released from Western, maybe an option as a super sub for Victory.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Some good signings for Victory, a nice change to get ahead of the season started we have often left our run late the last few years. The most surprising one is Spiranovic, where has he been the last couple of years?

It's strange to see us sign so many players so early. Very un-Victory like. You can tell straight away we are gonna be competitive from R1 next season. We have the nucleus there. We just need to bring in the right visa players. We are rumoured to be bringing in a Croatian keeper. We also need a striker, CAM and CB.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
yep, I've started watching Celtic games as he's got Ange-ball in full effect now. Tough game for Europa league qualification this week, but they've got a 2 goal advantage heading in to that. Thumped St Mirren 6:0 last weekend. Like most Ange teams defense is not a priority, so they'll ship goals against better teams, but hopefully score more. That's the Ange way.

Then the true test this weekend, away game against the 'Gers at Ibrox led by Stevie G. Rangers haven't had the best start, but all the tips where they'd romp the league this year given Celtic's problems.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Ange has started well but qualifying for the Europa League will be massive. Big week coming up for Ange.

On another note, I’ve bought some more Victory shares. I now own 800. They are still on sale.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
first 6 rounds of the new season released today. the season has been delayed by 3 weeks in the hope we can start with crowds.

there are a few interesting things to take from this.
- back to 7:45pm kickoffs on friday and saturday nights (7pm was very unpopular).
- 2 simultaneous games at 7:45 Saturday night. many of them seem to involve Melbourne and Sydney teams. I am tipping the game involving the Melbourne team will be on FTA in Melbourne and the game involving the Sydney team will be on FTA in Sydney.
- Victory playing 5 of our first 6 in Melbourne. Fingers crossed borders will be open for Adelaide away on December 11.
- Western United playing 7 of their 13 home games at Lakeside Stadium this season (South Melbourne's Home Ground).

edit: this is also an intereting read. nice bit of innovation from ch 10

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's pretty rare for someone at the top level to come out publically in professional sport in Australia, at least in the men's side of the game.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's pretty rare for someone at the top level to come out publically in professional sport in Australia, at least in the men's side of the game.
OK, but really, is it a big deal? What's the big story here, the fact he announced it publicly or the fact he's gay?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
OK, but really, is it a big deal? What's the big story here, the fact he announced it publicly or the fact he's gay?

The former obviously. In a perfect world, yes Big Bear, it shouldn't matter. In Australia in 2021 it does matter - it will give a lot of comfort to gay kids who are struggling with their sexuality that it's OK to be gay and play sport at an elite level.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The former obviously. In a perfect world, yes Big Bear, it shouldn't matter. In Australia in 2021 it does matter - it will give a lot of comfort to gay kids who are struggling with their sexuality that it's OK to be gay and play sport at an elite level.
Young boys and team sports maybe, but thre are plenty of elite Australian sports people out as gay

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

i hope one day it isn’t a big deal.

But I don’t know of any other gay male in professional Australian team sport (still playing). Its estimated 3.2% of Australian’s identify as non-heterosexual. So, the probability is that there are dozens of gay men in professional Australian team sport that do not have the confidence to come out, which has a negative impact on their mental health. So if Josh inspires these people to be more confident about themselves, then isn’t that a good thing? Just look at the positive response from Football teams and stars of the game around the world? The response has been brilliant.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Why do they have to come out publically though ian? Surely their sexual preference is a private matter, why the need to tell the world?