A quick little bake... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A quick little bake...

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I don’t know that it’s a Ticketek decision - they’re just told what the limit on numbers is. Ground management would decide to keep sections closed to minimise opening bars and facilities - keeping staffing to a minimum. As a result everyone is crammed in like a normal game.
There you probably have identified why either Ticketek(MCG) or Ticketmaster(the Dome) have been gifted their monopolies for ticketing sales.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger3000

Tiger Cub
Apr 11, 2011
Not sure it's just the relatively last-minute ticketing aspect (although think it has a lot to do with it, partucularly for reserved seat holders being shoved every which way for seats each week + not being able to just "rock up" in GA if you feel like it on the day).

Lots of people traditionally would have made plans in advance around the fixture at the start of the year. Personally if a mate asks me over for dinner 1 month in advance, and i don't yet know which day the footy is going to be on, I will agree. With the AFL's new "rolling fixture" release, there are inevitably going to be clashes with other events that have been committed to, where in previous years you could just say "can't friday, how about saturday instead?"

Reactions: 1 users

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
Not sure it's just the relatively last-minute ticketing aspect (although think it has a lot to do with it, partucularly for reserved seat holders being shoved every which way for seats each week + not being able to just "rock up" in GA if you feel like it on the day).

Lots of people traditionally would have made plans in advance around the fixture at the start of the year. Personally if a mate asks me over for dinner 1 month in advance, and i don't yet know which day the footy is going to be on, I will agree. With the AFL's new "rolling fixture" release, there are inevitably going to be clashes with other events that have been committed to, where in previous years you could just say "can't friday, how about saturday instead?"
All AFL crowds are down because of ticketing, late notice of match days and this week because of the Greek Easter.

My reserved seat is in M15 row Q. The ballot gave me M15 row R, one row behind my usual seats. There was none in my usual spot so why was I not allocatEd my reserved seats in the ballot. The ballot is a joke

YellowBlacknBlood

Tiger Cub
Jul 25, 2018
I'm finding i can't get the seats I want. They're just not releasing them.

I go to the game and I see empty bays where I'd like to sit and I'm in the nosebleeds. No reason to have restrictions on capacity or seating with zero cases - makes me want to watch it on TV.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
All AFL crowds are down because of ticketing, late notice of match days and this week because of the Greek Easter.

My reserved seat is in M15 row Q. The ballot gave me M15 row R, one row behind my usual seats. There was none in my usual spot so why was I not allocatEd my reserved seats in the ballot. The ballot is a joke
It is a joke.
We’ve had seats in our usual bay, but different rows. Each time, our group has been seated right up against the next group on one side (no empty seat for social distancing), while there has been up to 10-12 empty seats on the other side. Then the seats next to the other aisle are filled up.
Continues for row after row.
People are just moving themselves to spread out a bit, or just moving to completely different bays.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I'm wondering why everyone is having such different experiences getting tickets.

I just clicked the link in the email on Wednesday and was allowed to select the bay I wanted. Clicked M11 and was given row AA. No fee, no reserved seat cost or anything. There were heaps of other first and second level bays available.

When I got there, there were heaps of spare seats so I went and sat in row H.

I only have a normal 11 game GA membership. Seemed pretty straight forward, and much the same as the previous MCG games. Yeah it's worse than show up and scan your card, but not lots. Have I just been lucky?

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I'm wondering why everyone is having such different experiences getting tickets.

I just clicked the link in the email on Wednesday and was allowed to select the bay I wanted. Clicked M11 and was given row AA. No fee, no reserved seat cost or anything. There were heaps of other first and second level bays available.

I only have a normal 11 game GA membership. Seemed pretty straight forward, and much the same as the previous MCG games. Yeah it's worse than show up and scan your card, but not lots. Have I just been lucky?
I haven’t had that experience. The bay I actually wanted to sit in last Friday was closed ( Olympic Stand top deck), but it’s been the same experience every time I get tickets. Do you click on the “General Reserved” tab or the “ Best available”?

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland

Sounds painless. Reserved seat ballot, we don’t get a choice - get what you’re given.
Although, I wonder why you were given row AA when seats in row H were available?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Because our club needs the moolah.

But these seats are free for Roaming Tiger members. Yes, the Footscray supporters would have been paying but they would have to be guests of Roaming Tiger members so how come they got better access to seats. Might try this out next week as my daughter is likely to come and her boyfriend might want to come too (Richmond supporter, and lives in Richmond) so maybe if I am looking to pay for one of the seats I get a better choice. If that's the case I want to know why.

I don’t find that at all. I kept clicking for better seats and it kept giving me the same location. I do prefer to sit higher up as I find I can see more of the play. I’m curious to know why the top deck of the Olympic stand wasn’t opened. I looked through my binoculars and the only 2 people that I saw in that whole area were police. I found it amusing that they had cops in an empty stand. I also did notice that for the first time this year they didn’t put up the “ social distancing “ ads ( although I may have missed it). I don’t understand why they can’t open to 100% capacity when they are cramming everyone into certain areas while keeping other sections empty. I’ve been to every game this year except the port game and in each game I was seated next to total strangers. If they’re doing that then what’s the point of not having 100% capacity available?

I agree, the 85% capacity for COVID is utter bollocks if it just means they don't open up as much of the stands and cram everyone in elsewhere.

End the ticketing farce!

DS

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I haven’t had that experience. The bay I actually wanted to sit in last Friday was closed ( Olympic Stand top deck), but it’s been the same experience every time I get tickets. Do you click on the “General Reserved” tab or the “ Best available”?
I think it was 'Adult member general reserved'. Which only pops up when you put in your barcode.

I will say it seems easier than my mate who has a reserved seat membership, who goes in the ballot.

Sounds painless. Reserved seat ballot, we don’t get a choice - get what you’re given.
Although, I wonder why you were given row AA when seats in row H were available?

No idea, I honestly think the logistics are beyond ticketeks ability.

But just a little preparation, and a sprinkle of flexibility and improvisation on the day and we get to go to the footy!

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I think it was 'Adult member general reserved'. Which only pops up when you put in your barcode.

I will say it seems easier than my mate who has a reserved seat membership, who goes in the ballot.

No idea, I honestly think the logistics are beyond ticketeks ability.

But just a little preparation, and a sprinkle of flexibility and improvisation on the day and we get to go to the footy!
So the same as me. But you also said you can always get to pick the bay you want. How? I never seem to get that option. If I don’t like the seat they offer I reject it and try again and it’s pot luck where the next seat is or what bay is given. I use my iPhone as I’m at work when they go on sale. Maybe that’s why I can’t see that option ?

agincourt

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 4, 2004
You're under-estimating the capacity of the MCC members (and AFL members) and the fact that the Doggies have very few of either.

For the big crowds you need 10,000 opposition supporters in the MCC members and at least that number again in the AFL members areas (even if they are neutral supporters).

There's your extra 20k straight away....

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
This.

I get vertigo when I sit up the top. My head spins, I feel like I'm going to fall out of my seat and onto the ground.
So I log on to get a ticket, spend an hour refreshing to try find a better seat. Nothing on ground, or level 2 I'm told.

Watch the game on TV - empty seats in those areas galore.

I've paid my membership, club has my money. I've spent a truckload at the Tigers store.
Not sure me showing up on a Friday night is an accurate sign that I don't support the club.
Yep I'm a GA member and usually go to the game early and sit where i want to sit. But when I tried booking a ticket over a dozen times and kept getting rows CC and higher I thought stuff it just gonna watch it from home.

Love how they are using Covid restrictions to cram people into bays to reduce staffing cists and to force people to upgrade at a cost. The club should be notified (if not already) and they should do something about it.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
There were moments in the game I'd wished the ump had gone to church (sorry Eleni) :mhihi

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Just need to go whenever we can irrespective of the ticketing farce & cost. As we saw in Perth yesterday, it doesn’t take much for footy to be taken away from us.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
you should be forced to sit in the nosebleeds when it's a 95K full capacity not when there's only 50K. Disgrace.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
So the same as me. But you also said you can always get to pick the bay you want. How? I never seem to get that option. If I don’t like the seat they offer I reject it and try again and it’s pot luck where the next seat is or what bay is given. I use my iPhone as I’m at work when they go on sale. Maybe that’s why I can’t see that option ?
Might be a phone issue. I do it on the laptop.

Definitely seems to be some inconsistent experiences regardless.
You're under-estimating the capacity of the MCC members (and AFL members) and the fact that the Doggies have very few of either.

For the big crowds you need 10,000 opposition supporters in the MCC members and at least that number again in the AFL members areas (even if they are neutral supporters).

There's your extra 20k straight away....

To my eyes and eyes, there have been many fewer tiger supporters than in previous years. Not just the neutrals. I guess we're seeing that with the cross section of responses here.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I've found you can essentially sit anywhere you want in the stand you have a ticket in. No one checks the tickets once inside, if an attenadant is being overly officious go to the next aisle. Plenty of spare seats in every bay, if the seat holder rocks up just move to a nearby free seat.

I've been allocated in the nosebleeds but haven't sat there once.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Entry to the ground has been quick and simple too.

The worst part is not as many food/drink outlets open so their queue's have been horrendous.