A Richmond/Geelong throwback | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Richmond/Geelong throwback

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
These are among the most precious items I have in my footy card collection.

They are from 1970. The box is the counter display unit that held the packets of cards from that year. The unopened packet is, obviously, from the same year.

Unlike the quantity of cards sold in boxes today, I reckon this box only held 18 packets.

Anyway, one of the things Scanlens often did was put a picture on its boxes that commemorated the previous year's grand final.

(They also tended to put sections of a picture or pictures on the back of the cards that could be combined to make a giant picture.)

Of course, we actually beat Carlton in the grand final of 1969—but we did play the Cats in the 1969 finals series, in the first semi final. So it was a bit unusual for a shot that was probably from that game to be featured on the 1970 box.

Can anyone confirm if that's Roger Dean in the picture?

Scanlen's 1970 VFL box and pack small.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004

They are from 1970. The box is the counter display unit that held the packets of cards from that year. The unopened packet is, obviously, from the same year.

Unlike the quantity of cards sold in boxes today, I reckon this box only held 18 packets.

Anyway, one of the things Scanlens often did was put a picture on its boxes that commemorated the previous year's grand final.

(They also tended to put sections of a picture or pictures on the back of the cards that could be combined to make a giant picture.)

Of course, we actually beat Carlton in the grand final of 1969—but we did play the Cats in the 1969 finals series, in the first semi final. So it was a bit unusual for a shot that was probably from that game to be featured on the 1970 box.

View attachment 11401
A bit cartoony but looks like Roger Deans noggin'.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

View attachment 11401
You should open that @Number8 ..... might be a chance for one of them toe breaking plastic footies!

Paddy Guinane, maybe?
When you blow it up I reckon it his jaw!.... so l'm going with a yes @TOT70
Btw.... do you reckon that's Billy Goggin roving?

• Haha

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Paddy Guinane, maybe?
Yes, Paddy Guinane was my first guess, either him or the Swamp Fox, Michael Patterson.

Edit

If it's from the 69 season, it can't be Paddy as he'd retired.

Last edited:

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
You should open that @Number8 ..... might be a chance for one of them toe breaking plastic footies!
I have a friend who simply cannot believe I can hold onto unopened packets and not bust them.

Of course, they're actually worth a hell of a lot more in the unopened state than the mint conditions cards and wrapper would yield.

I actually have an idea for my dotage—create a YouTube channel and break an old pack once a week.

Might depend on how much interest our kids have in holding onto the collection!

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

View attachment 11401

Definitely Paddy G. His head & body shape. Roger the Dodgers was shorter & stockier.

Reactions: 1 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Of course, the photo on the box could have been taken in 1968—the last year Paddy played.

This card is from 1967.Paddy Guinane.jpg

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I have a friend who simply cannot believe I can hold onto unopened packets and not bust them.

Of course, they're actually worth a hell of a lot more in the unopened state than the mint conditions cards and wrapper would yield.

I actually have an idea for my dotage—create a YouTube channel and break an old pack once a week.

Might depend on how much interest our kids have in holding onto the collection!
One of my great regrets in life is that I collected so many cards as a kid and when I was 17 and we moved house and I'd just started work and I was chasing girls and thinking about cars and playin up...... they were misplaced, stolen, destroyed.... don't really know. So anytime I ever see them I get very sentimental.
I hope your kids love the fact that you loved them and never let them go.:)

• Love

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I reckon it's Tony Polinelli, @aoc1974

Can't work out who the big fella is, though.
Tony Polinelli, my Dad couldn’t stand him (mind you, that was Dads opinion of most players who didn’t play for Richmond). Used to smoke a pipe at half time apparently. Does the unopened packet also contain the stick of gum? I think they made those out of the same cardboard they used for the cards.

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

View attachment 11401
can I have the gum when you open it??

• Haha

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
It’s an image from the 67 GF that Scanlens used in their 1968 season series. The full image had a couple of other players in it, including Barry Richardson. Google it and you will find it on Pinterest. I cant copy it.