A Richmond/Geelong throwback | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Richmond/Geelong throwback

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
These are among the most precious items I have in my footy card collection.

They are from 1970. The box is the counter display unit that held the packets of cards from that year. The unopened packet is, obviously, from the same year.

Unlike the quantity of cards sold in boxes today, I reckon this box only held 18 packets.

Anyway, one of the things Scanlens often did was put a picture on its boxes that commemorated the previous year's grand final.

(They also tended to put sections of a picture or pictures on the back of the cards that could be combined to make a giant picture.)

Of course, we actually beat Carlton in the grand final of 1969—but we did play the Cats in the 1969 finals series, in the first semi final. So it was a bit unusual for a shot that was probably from that game to be featured on the 1970 box.

Can anyone confirm if that's Roger Dean in the picture?
I am just looking at my copy of the ‘69 First Semi Footy Record.
Yes, I am an old fart and attended that glorious game when we pantsed the handbaggers.
As I recall, Coach Pianto stated the following day on WOS that he didn’t believe there was 20 goals difference between two teams.
Seemingly, like his successor in C Scott, he was not gracious in defeat! After all, he did say after the ‘67 GF that he thought the better team lost.
Anyway, Kevin Murray is on the front cover overlaying a picture of the MCG in which Richmond and Carlton are featured.
Let’s turn to the team lists in the centre.
Roger Dean is captain and schoolboy Bernie has recorded that the skip scored 1.1; not bad from a HBF.
The Swampfox was captain of the vice and did not bother the scorer.
Buggsy #24 starred landing 1 goal 5 behinds that day ala Castagna somewhat. but bustling Billy Barrot was wearing the finest of Jenkins in the big dance as I recall.
if anyone would like some photos of the Record or any from the ‘69 finals, pm me and I will see what the good wife can copy.
Now, as to who’s on the footy card, well these are charactertures as I recall. But it’s probably #25, the Swampfox, Mike Patterson.in my view.

Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
It’s an image from the 67 GF that Scanlens used in their 1968 season series. The full image had a couple of other players in it, including Barry Richardson. Google it and you will find it on Pinterest. I cant copy it.
Nice investigative work, @TOT70 !

It makes sense that it is actually a grand final photo, as that tended to be Scanlens' MO. Weird that it was an older shot, though.

And what's more, the shot was used as the card-backs photo for the 1968 series!

1968 card backs.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Does the unopened packet also contain the stick of gum?
Sure does.

Finicky collectors (yes, I'm one) like the stick to be unbroken.

One of the troubles with the old packs is that the gum can be quite brittle.

The packs with unbroken gum tend to have been well cared for.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Sure does.

Finicky collectors (yes, I'm one) like the stick to be unbroken.

One of the troubles with the old packs is that the gum can be quite brittle.

The packs with unbroken gum tend to have been well cared for.
Speaking of Mike the Swamp Fox Patterson....................Banjo Patterson kept his box of chocolates 120 years, you could do the same with the gum :)

• Haha

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
I am just looking at my copy of the ‘69 First Semi Footy Record.
Yes, I am an old fart and attended that glorious game when we pantsed the handbaggers.
As I recall, Coach Pianto stated the following day on WOS that he didn’t believe there was 20 goals difference between two teams.
Seemingly, like his successor in C Scott, he was not gracious in defeat! After all, he did say after the ‘67 GF that he thought the better team lost.
Anyway, Kevin Murray is on the front cover overlaying a picture of the MCG in which Richmond and Carlton are featured.
Let’s turn to the team lists in the centre.
Roger Dean is captain and schoolboy Bernie has recorded that the skip scored 1.1; not bad from a HBF.
The Swampfox was captain of the vice and did not bother the scorer.
Buggsy #24 starred landing 1 goal 5 behinds that day ala Castagna somewhat. but bustling Billy Barrot was wearing the finest of Jenkins in the big dance as I recall.
if anyone would like some photos of the Record or any from the ‘69 finals, pm me and I will see what the good wife can copy.
Now, as to who’s on the footy card, well these are charactertures as I recall. But it’s probably #25, the Swampfox, Mike Patterson.in my view.
I was there too Bernie. Great memories of a tiger victory. It was my first finals game. Brownlow medallist Kevin Murray’s lap of honour was very moving as he received a fantastic ovation from the crowd.

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Tony Polinelli, my Dad couldn’t stand him (mind you, that was Dads opinion of most players who didn’t play for Richmond). Used to smoke a pipe at half time apparently. Does the unopened packet also contain the stick of gum? I think they made those out of the same cardboard they used for the cards.

Yeah - reckon even Marnus Labuschagne would have struggled with that

• Haha

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
One of my great regrets in life is that I collected so many cards as a kid and when I was 17 and we moved house and I'd just started work and I was chasing girls and thinking about cars and playin up...... they were misplaced, stolen, destroyed.... don't really know. So anytime I ever see them I get very sentimental.
I hope your kids love the fact that you loved them and never let them go.:)
Me too, only difference with me was I had to sell my cards due to family finances at the time. Still haunts me to this very day.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Paddy Guinane was my first childhood hero, what a well built bloke he was, he had a great set of guns on him. His teammates walked a little taller with him in the side.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
One of my great regrets in life is that I collected so many cards as a kid and when I was 17 and we moved house and I'd just started work and I was chasing girls and thinking about cars and playin up...... they were misplaced, stolen, destroyed.... don't really know. So anytime I ever see them I get very sentimental.
I hope your kids love the fact that you loved them and never let them go.:)
Me too, only difference with me was I had to sell my cards due to family finances at the time. Still haunts me to this very day.
I feel your pain. Football cards are a connection to my childhood and happy days with my grandparents, at primary school and visiting the local milk bar with Dad on the weekends. The smell of the gum and the texture of the wax wrappers are evocative of those times. Mum used to get annoyed when I opened a pack and there were no Tigers in it—she reckoned you should be able to choose the cards you wanted—but I loved the anticipation of not knowing what cards you'd get. Swapping at school was a great ritual. Every time I look through my collections, they take me straight back ...

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I feel your pain. Football cards are a connection to my childhood and happy days with my grandparents, at primary school and visiting the local milk bar with Dad on the weekends. The smell of the gum and the texture of the wax wrappers are evocative of those times. Mum used to get annoyed when I opened a pack and there were no Tigers in it—she reckoned you should be able to choose the cards you wanted—but I loved the anticipation of not knowing what cards you'd get. Swapping at school was a great ritual. Every time I look through my collections, they take me straight back ...
My mum was the same about being able to choose the cards!