A Short Conversation with Michael Roach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Short Conversation with Michael Roach

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
While wandering into the Burke Road Cafe (free plug!) this morning for coffee & the morning paper ...

MR: G'Day

MP: G'Day, what do you think of the Tiges?

MR: There's always next year.

MP: Yep, but what do ya' really reckon?

MR: The backline's too small. Have a look at it, we can't seem to hold the Jonathan Browns, the Barry Halls, the Quentin Lynchs, the .....

MP: ... the Fraser Gehrigs?

MR: Yes. Joel Bowden is FB and he's only 6'2". McGuane & Thursfield are taller but not as strong. We need players that can match up with these types.

MP: Have you done a Club80?

MR: Is that the place in ....

MP: Fitzroy St ... sorry, no, Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Pirreus Blues.

MR: Yes that's it. The place owned by .....

MP: He sold it, but now he's in partnership with the Bowdens at Birdie Num Nums.

MR: That's right!

MP: Yeh, they move them around now. From Birdie Num Nums to Pirreus Blues to The Swan Hotel ...

MR: Yes, I've done 3 or 4 over the years. Last one was about 18 months ago.

MP: Would you like to do one again?

MR: Maybe ....

MP: Good, I'll let George know. See'ya!

MR: Yes, See'ya.

That'd be a good one - Roach, Cloke & Bartlett, the forwards of our last great year.
Thereyago George.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Phantom
What connection between the Burke Rd Cafe and MR
Just a punter or something else?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Michael said:
Phantom

Both having coffee at the same place.

The cafe is owned by John & Pauline, who are lovely but have one fatal flaw .... Collingwood supporters.

Michael has his Life Insurance business, Michael Roach Insurance. He's in the same building as me, as is Brett Evans too.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Does anyone know what's become of Thomas since he left us and how his footy has been going if he is still playing?

itsintheblood

Tiger Superstar
Dec 16, 2004
Melbourne
rosy23 said:
Does anyone know what's become of Thomas since he left us and how his footy has been going if he is still playing?

He's playing in the VFL Rosy. Not sure who for but he isn't setting the world on fire. I don't think footy was the right sport for him. Maybe darts. :hihi

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
itsintheblood said:
I wish richo had discos kicking technique. He was a brilliant kick for goal.

Yep.
Michael had some brilliant facets to his game, and he had flaws too.
He was brilliant on dry still days, when he could get onto one of those fast leads, or when given space to jump.
From 50 metres out, in front, he was deadly.
I think he wasn't so hot on angle shots, and on a wet or windy day, well, he'd disappear.

Taylor did better on the wet & windy days.

Of course, when Michael did his back in ... that restricted him greatly ... was no where near the same player ... very much like Jeff Hogg after he did his back in ... couldn't get off the ground.

That 1979 Mark of the Century sits on my library door.

rosy23 said:

As for Thom, he's had a really good year with North Ballarat.
Could be a case of mediums by 22 again.
He may put himself back into this year's draft, but that's from me, not from MR.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Phantom said:
Michael said:
Phantom

Both having coffee at the same place.

The cafe is owned by John & Pauline, who are lovely but have one fatal flaw .... Collingwood supporters.

Michael has his Life Insurance business, Michael Roach Insurance. He's in the same building as me, as is Brett Evans too.

Were not to far way from each other here Phantom re work wise, might have to look for Disco one morning

Thomas is at Nth Ballarat

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
We'll have to have coffee or lunch sometime.

I've left early today, given the flu'

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
TIGEREXTRA said:
Is Michael still working at that Holden dealership phantom?

Phantom said:

You may have heard it advertised on SEN.

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne
Phantom said:
TIGEREXTRA said:
Is Michael still working at that Holden dealership phantom?

Phantom said:

You may have heard it advertised on SEN.

Yes I have and always wondered if that was him. They should put some sort of reference in that ad so people know it is him, as it may boost his client base.

I met him a few years ago at the holden dealership when i was going for a job, he must of been their finance manager then.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Phantom said:
bigwow said:
Phantom said:
He's in the same building as me, as is Brett Evans too.

What's the Birdman doing these days?

He did tell me but I've forgotten. I'll ask him again.

He did say in a newspaper article when he was at Richmond, that he hoped to be a tattoo artist when his playing days were over. I'm guessing he's not doing that?

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Phantom said:
When I see him, he's in suit & tie.

Get him to roll up his trouser legs, tattoos from ankles to just below the knee, both legs. Always covered by footy socks when he played. Didn't seem the type to own a tie, let alone a suit! Seems you can take the boy out of Hallam!