Adam Saad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adam Saad

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I hope they get a first rounder for him and Daniher, then use their three first-rounders for Dodo to select juniors who are good enough to get them to lose more finals.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I went through the exercise of rating the League's best half back flankers. It's not as easy as it seems.

They're not valued as highly as those who play other positions and yet they are central to the connection between the back and forward lines.

It's not an easy role to play as they have to get the mix of defence and offence just right.

Anyway, here's where I got to. First, the long list of contenders.

Williams (GWS)
Houli (Rich)
Wilson (Freo)
Saad (Ess)
McDonald (North)
Duggan (WC)
Hurn (WC)
Coffield (StK)
Long (StK)
Whitfield (GWS)
Smith (Adel)
Rich (Bris)
Docherty (Carl)
Short (Rich)
Daniel (Foot)
Day (Haw)
Bowes (Gold)
Burton (Port)
Lloyd (Syd)
Stewart (Geel)
Maynard (Coll)
Crisp (Coll)
Byrne-Jones (Port)

I narrowed the list down based on ball use, defensive effectiveness and the ability to break lines. Some of that is objective and some is subjective. Numbers quoted are career averages.

1. Whitfield (GWS) -- DE 76%, SI 3.7, CP 7, MG 328
2. Saad (Ess) -- DE 82%, SI 3.2, CP 5, MG 341
3. Houli (Rich) -- DE 78%, SI 4.2, CP 5, MG 409
4. Rich (Bris) -- DE 74%, SI 4.2, CP 6, MG 428
5. Maynard (Coll) -- DE 76%, SI 3.1, CP 5, MG 332
6. Williams (GWS) -- DE 76%, SI 4.5, CP 6, MG 321
7. Stewart (Geel) -- DE 80%, SI 2.7, CP 5, MG 381
8. Daniel (Foot) -- DE 78%, SI 4.7, CP 6, MG 292
9. Burton (Port) -- DE 76%, SI 3.3, CP 5, MG 312
10. Duggan (WC) -- DE 73%, SI 3, CP 5, MG 287

As long as the Blues don't sell the farm for Williams and Saad, they've done well.

Reactions: 3 users

tigers1980

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 24, 2012
I went through the exercise of rating the League's best half back flankers. It's not as easy as it seems.

They're not valued as highly as those who play other positions and yet they are central to the connection between the back and forward lines.

It's not an easy role to play as they have to get the mix of defence and offence just right.

Anyway, here's where I got to. First, the long list of contenders.

Williams (GWS)
Houli (Rich)
Wilson (Freo)
Saad (Ess)
McDonald (North)
Duggan (WC)
Hurn (WC)
Coffield (StK)
Long (StK)
Whitfield (GWS)
Smith (Adel)
Rich (Bris)
Docherty (Carl)
Short (Rich)
Daniel (Foot)
Day (Haw)
Bowes (Gold)
Burton (Port)
Lloyd (Syd)
Stewart (Geel)
Maynard (Coll)
Crisp (Coll)
Byrne-Jones (Port)

I narrowed the list down based on ball use, defensive effectiveness and the ability to break lines. Some of that is objective and some is subjective. Numbers quoted are career averages.

1. Whitfield (GWS) -- DE 76%, SI 3.7, CP 7, MG 328
2. Saad (Ess) -- DE 82%, SI 3.2, CP 5, MG 341
3. Houli (Rich) -- DE 78%, SI 4.2, CP 5, MG 409
4. Rich (Bris) -- DE 74%, SI 4.2, CP 6, MG 428
5. Maynard (Coll) -- DE 76%, SI 3.1, CP 5, MG 332
6. Williams (GWS) -- DE 76%, SI 4.5, CP 6, MG 321
7. Stewart (Geel) -- DE 80%, SI 2.7, CP 5, MG 381
8. Daniel (Foot) -- DE 78%, SI 4.7, CP 6, MG 292
9. Burton (Port) -- DE 76%, SI 3.3, CP 5, MG 312
10. Duggan (WC) -- DE 73%, SI 3, CP 5, MG 287

As long as the Blues don't sell the farm for Williams and Saad, they've done well.
Would Baker be in this list?

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Would Baker be in this list?
The role of Richmond's "smalls" is hard to define. Some would argue Grimes, Vlastuin and Baker all play a version of the half back flanker role. In my long list I tried to group all the players who play the role in a "traditional" way; that is, predominantly used as a link man driving the ball forward.

That's not say Baker isn't a HBF but in my mind he's more of a back pocket, whose role is principally to stop, intercept and defend. So I'd group him with, say, Hughes, Plowman, Brown (Adel), Answerth, Budarick, Geary and Williams (North).

It's definitely become a fine line, though. Players are more versatile than ever and need to have more than one string to their bow. E.g. Baker's running goal last week was fantastic and not what you'd normally expect from a back pocket.

Baker is a ripper; one of my absolute favourite players and I hope he plays his entire career with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Hmm, I reckon you might have considered that a pretty fair trade for a McLeod or Hodge in their pomp...
McLeod and Hodge also played midfield in their prime. The point being you don’t give up top 10 picks for flankers.

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I reckon Carlton will trade pick 7 and they'll trade a pick in the teens. Even if they don't, pick 7 will be around pick 10 after academy picks. All in all probably fair value.