Adelaide game preview - The Last Stand | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adelaide game preview - The Last Stand

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
The Last Stand

Preview by MT:

Saturday Night, 5th July 2003, Football Park.
Round 14, Richmond vs Adelaide, away.

Another week and another loss making it 5 in a row and now Richmond find themselves making their last stand on foreign soil against a side they have not beaten since 1999 (excluding the preseason game last year) to salvage season 2003. The Tigers dominated the first 20 minutes of the game against Brisbane yet were unable to show anything for it on the scoreboard except for a lousey 3 goals which were quickly swallowed up by the Lions in the last 4 minutes of the first quarter :mad:. From then on Brisbane's polish shone through as Richmond continued to predictably turn the ball over during numerous forward thrusts throughout the night. The
most damning statistic demonstrating this was the fact both sides virtually had an equal number of inside 50's (51-50 in the Lions favour)yet Brisbane had almost twice the number of scoring shots on goal (29-16).
For this match, the Tigers desperately welcome back Captain Cambo into the midfield. Fiora makes way to find form at Coburg after looking all lost at sea last week.
Of interest for this game is that both ex-tiger Torney and ex-Crow Kane Johnson will be playing against their former sides for the first time since they "swapped".

Head to head

Record overall: Rich 7, Adel 10

At Footy park: Rich 4, Adel 4

Last time: Round 21, 2002, Footy Park - Rich 9.11 (65) lt Adel 13.9 (87)
Richmond arrived at Footy park after 3 straight wins. Close game for 3 quarters with the Tigers having their chances to win only for the Crows to kick clear in the last.

Last 5 meetings: Rich 1, Adel 4

Selected Teams

B: Newman Holland A.Kellaway
Burns Perrie Welsh

HB: Tivendale Zantuck Chaffey
Edwards Carey Johncock

C: Bowden Coughlan Dragga
Hart Ricciuto Burton

HF: Cameron Richo Bidders
Bickley McGregor Massie

F: Rodan Ottens Krakouer
Torney Bassett Smart

Fol: Stafford Campbell Johnson
Biglands Macleod Stenglein

IC: Rich: Fleming, Rogers, Houlihan, Hyde
Adel: Clarke, Ladhams, Bode, Shirley

Defence: Even

Adelaide's forward line is their weakest link IMO although that is not all too surprising when compared to their midfield and defence. The Crows have struggled in the past due to this and have to then rely on goals from their talented midfielders. Last year it was this forward line that played well above previous seasons efforts that contributed significantly to them reaching a PF. However, form and injury so far this year has once again made their forward line slip a few notches down from last year's output against the better sides of the comp. In terms of match-ups, we should handle Adelaide's forward set-up. Holland, AK and Ty (who did well on Lynch after half time last week) will take the Crows' talls in Perrie, Welsh and Carey. Johncock has been in good goal-scoring (as well as general) form lately for them so I would expect Chaffey who's been in equally good form to be given the job on him (if Newman is minding Macleod). Overall, the Crows real threat comes from their midfield not their forward line (touchwood they don't pull out blinder on Saturday
night to make a liar out of me...:p!)

Midfield: Weakness

It's amazing how much better our midfield looks at least on paper and as was demonstrated on the park earlier on in the year with our key ballwinners Cambo, Johnson and Cogs all in the midfield together. We have become very stagnant even without one and definitely two of our "fab 3" out injured at a time as the last 5 matches have sadly shown. Losing 11 clearances straight last week is damning enough. Just as importantly it takes the pressure off the likes of Bowden, Tivs, Rodan and Krakouer are they then become second tier players in our midfield rotation which enables them to have more influence in the match overall as well as generating some badly needed run within our side. It also covers up our lack of depth which is where we have been exposed :(. We are also in desperate need of goals from these midfielders. This is an area that has totally dried up for us. 9 goals in a match is a disgrace!
As for match-ups, Stafford has been in fine form all year and in rotation with Otto, who was pleasingly very good last week, should be able to match it with the Crows ruckman, Biglands and Clarke. The main danger as in past encounters of course comes from ground level. Andrew Macleod always appears to have a day out against us. Going on last week probably Rodan will be forced to follow him around. IMO that would deny us a badly needed attacking option so I personally would go with Newman who although still learning the game has the pace, skills and discipline to go with Macleod. Apart from that we should go head to head with the likes of Riccuito, Edwards, Bode, Ladhams and Bickley. Stenglein will most likely be the Crows only "tag" with him picking up either Cambo or ex-teammate Johnson.

Forwards: Even

The question we all want answered is - Are the Tigers going to come out this weekend and play the smart team running and multi-option style which won us games at the start of the season or the all to familiar predictable and suicidal bomb it long to a double teamed Richo on the boundary line style that makes us kick less goals than most soccer teams (and is so wonderful to watch - not! :( ). It'll be interesting to see if we return to the former style with Cambo, Johnson and Cogs in the midfield for the first time since round 5. For our sake, let's hope so.

Summary:

As we saw last week, it's important as with all interstate games to get off to a good start (but then not to give it up so pitifully in time on). Quietens the crowd and puts the pressure back onto the home team. All I ask for is for ALL 22 Tiger players to have a dip not just the usual few and for the Tiges to RUN in numbers supporting and receiving from one another and get the footy moving forward quickly to the BEST option (most of the time that's NOT Richo who, as all of us have said until we are blue in the face, should be played Danny on a HFF not frigging left to wrestle in the goalsquare). Is it too difficult to have at least one teammate (preferably more than one) running past the marker to receive a handball so he doesn't have to prop, stop, turn around, go back and ALWAYS kick to a 50/50 contest (= turnover) but instead the ball moves forward quickly denying the opposition time to get players back to fill the space in our forward line? It mustn't be as most of the 16 clubs (and ALL of the top sides) in the AFL do it each and every week but then again maybe our guys are too frightened to leave their direct opponent to support a teammate fearing another turnover from bombing the ball forward or simply poor foot skills.
Don't care about predictions and especially margins this week. Getting a win is all that matters!

gdbarrett

Some more New-men please.
Jun 18, 2003
Albury
Good preview MT. I hope your right and Newman plays a run with role on McLeod. Tigers by a point will do us.

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Has Fleming been given a big role to play this weekend?Yesterday at training Richo and Cambo was talking to Fleming for a very long time about a certain player(didn't hear who) to watch him for the short rib punches, but if he gets hit first he backs off.Richo was heard to say "he is a dirty bugger but get in first and make him look over his shoulder and he will back off". ;D ;D ???

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Zac that is interesting.

From the Radio it sounds like Fleming has the Job on Andrew McCLEOD and the commentators were screaming about his treatment of McCLEOD early on.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Fleming did play on McLeod and took the points from him on the night. Was a *smile* game to watch live at the game. Why we continue to flood i got no idea. The only times we looked good were in the second and third quatrter s when we started running again. These negative tactics are a disgrace adn nothing like how we werre playing when we were winning earlier in the season. Crows fans thought they would lose in the third quarter as we were playing the fbetter football but then as per usual we go negative and into our shells again and manage to give away a winnable game. Frawley must stop negative tactics at all costs. I honestly belive we can beat anyone if we run for full game. WE showed glimpses against Brisbane and Adelaide when we did start running, jsut dont do it fro a full game. All the media guys over here say we go in there expecting an honorable loss as we did it against Port too. I hope this is not the case, we are a better team thatn we are showing.

If anyone is interested in what i look like, i was on TV too in the 1st quarter as Brett Burton was having a shot at goal. I was wearing a Richmond jacket with my girlfriend sitting next to me and was giving him stick. Also i think in the 3rd quarter he had another shot that he missed and i was giving him stick again.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
After game function was ok too once players eventualyl rocked up after eating their dinner.

Got to have a chat with a few players which was good.
Started off talking to Campbell for a while adn he was standing next to me during all of the presentations. Shows some palyers are keen to chat to palyers, others dont realyl care and a few leave at the earliest opportunity. I dont blame them either after a loss having to talk to fans who always want things from you. I think the boys did hte after match thing well though.

Had a good chat with Biddiscombe who was behind me and talked about next weeks game and if he is lookign forward to playing against his old club.
Talked to Tivendale and felt liek a tool when i told him he was my favorite player (normally i would give people my age *smile* for saying thing like that to players so i felt like a *smile* and tool after that) but he seemed like a good fella.

Seemed liek good lads most of them, some obviously have more confidence than others with a lot staying in their groups while others more than happy to talk with others.

And bloodhy Ottens is huge, i am 6'3" and next ot him even ui felt intimidated. MY girlfriend who is small felt really intimidated.

Greg Hutchison is humourous too. Funny guy.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Also forgot to mention the crowd. I didnt think they were too bad where i was sitting about from the odd imbecile or two who are just so dumb they cannot think of anythign original to say, but i was talking to a woman who si from Melbourne who reckons they werea disgrace. She was sitting wiht the Richmond cheer squad and apparently they copped heaps.

I was pretty vocal and had no problems though. The crowd here realyl arent that bad.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
shawry said:
If anyone is interested in what i look like, i was on TV too in the 1st quarter as Brett Burton was having a shot at goal. I was wearing a Richmond jacket with my girlfriend sitting next to me and was giving him stick. Also i think in the 3rd quarter he had another shot that he missed and i was giving him stick again.

I'll keep an eye out for you Shawry if I get the chance to watch the replay again.