Admired or hated and feared? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Admired or hated and feared?

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Do we want to be admired for what we have done, or do we want to be hated and feared?

I want us to be admired for the work we have done to become the best club in the land.

That our organisation supports great causes and creates opportunities for people beyond football.

We were hated and feared and we had a great fall, because we had a toxic culture.

We have been trodden on by other supporters when we were down, now we can see how the other nighty clubs have fallen. Do we rub it on or encourage them to get better?

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I want to say hated and feared but its not 1973 anymore.
Hated and feared.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Do we want to be admired for what we have done, or do we want to be hated and feared?

I want us to be admired for the work we have done to become the best club in the land.

That our organisation supports great causes and creates opportunities for people beyond football.

We were hated and feared and we had a great fall, because we had a toxic culture.

We have been trodden on by other supporters when we were down, now we can see how the other nighty clubs have fallen. Do we rub it on or encourage them to get better?
May we have a poll that includes an option, "ALL OF THE ABOVE", please?

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I think ..... misunderstood - cause they still can’t understand how we do it and no one expects us to do it again.

the club mantra of humble and now they are openly talking about managing ego shows we ain’t going anywhere yet

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
We are way more admired than hated and feared where I live.

I am in a regional zone for Claremont (WA) and a pretty reasonable number of older people in my area had an affinity with Richmond because of the Claremont link until the Eagles came around. Out around Lake Grace and Pingaring (Fyfe and Baker country) and down to Jerramungup, real wheatbelt country, there is still an amazing number of Richmond supporters that won't change. They are pretty keen too. A could name quite a few properties out that way with black and yellow letterboxes.

Many pre-Eagles West Australians retain a soft spot for their old VFL team. I reckon there are more North Melbourne supporters in WA than there are in Victoria thanks to Cable, McCann, the Krakouers and Glendenning!

The real footy Eagles fans I know tend to have respect for what we have achieved, and also because we took both Stevan Jackson, Todd Breman and Mitch Morton off their hands over the years.

The real footy Dockers fans I know (not many, most are idiots) respect what we have achieved because they see us doing what they want to achieve and hoping like hell that one day they will.

And finally there is the one reasonable Pies fan I know in WA, who everytime he sees me says Ï see it but I don't believe it!".

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
They can hate us or fear us, loathe or despise us. But ultimately whether they like it or not they have to respect us for what we have achieved and how we achieved. Even if they won't admit it, they do.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
We are way more admired than hated and feared where I live.

I am in a regional zone for Claremont (WA) and a pretty reasonable number of older people in my area had an affinity with Richmond because of the Claremont link until the Eagles came around. Out around Lake Grace and Pingaring (Fyfe and Baker country) and down to Jerramungup, real wheatbelt country, there is still an amazing number of Richmond supporters that won't change. They are pretty keen too. A could name quite a few properties out that way with black and yellow letterboxes.

Many pre-Eagles West Australians retain a soft spot for their old VFL team. I reckon there are more North Melbourne supporters in WA than there are in Victoria thanks to Cable, McCann, the Krakouers and Glendenning!

The real footy Eagles fans I know tend to have respect for what we have achieved, and also because we took both Stevan Jackson, Todd Breman and Mitch Morton off their hands over the years.

The real footy Dockers fans I know (not many, most are idiots) respect what we have achieved because they see us doing what they want to achieve and hoping like hell that one day they will.

And finally there is the one reasonable Pies fan I know in WA, who everytime he sees me says Ï see it but I don't believe it!".
Very insightful post, thanks Streak!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
We are hated and feared, but that fear is inspired in part by respect and envy. We have now become what every other club wants to be. Hated and feared has its down points, but I’d take it over pitied and ridiculed any day of the week.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
All I keep reading and hearing is "yeah but, yeah but, yeah but, that chaos game plan they play is more like rugby than Aussie Rules......"

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Don't give a *smile* what the others think. They're not Richmond supporters, so they aren't relevant. More than happy to simply sit back n laugh as opposition supporters from Geelol, Colonwood, Carlscum, Essendrugs etc choke on the reality that they're just not good enough.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
They can hate us or fear us, loathe or despise us. But ultimately whether they like it or not they have to respect us for what we have achieved and how we achieved. Even if they won't admit it, they do.
There has been a fair few others begrudgingly affording respect at times when Ive looked at other forums, be it through gritted grinding teeth.

One more flag if we can grab it especially this year will have em in stunned silence and basically despairingly waiting for us to drop away with our champs retiring.

The near future retirements of Jack, Trent, Bash and Dave for starters will be very welcome amongst opposition fans and media sycophants alike.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
the opposition football dept.s and the opposition supporters are two very different beasts

we'd like to be admired and feared by football dept's - peer/industry respect

the vitriol and vial comments typically come form supporters - and them hating us is just fine , tends to suggest we are doing our job well

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I think most genuine footy fans respect our status, does that transcend to admiration , for most they can’t put their bitterness aside to be so positive . They’d rather pick up on our foibles however obscure they may be and manifest that into a justifiable hatred

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not a single AFL.com 'writer' out of about 8 picked Richmond for this years flag (fine by me),

so I would say we utterly

misunderstood.

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Not a single AFL.com 'writer' out of about 8 picked Richmond for this years flag (fine by me),

so I would say we utterly

misunderstood.
They have the inside scoop from Shocking on all the things he has done and has planned to ensure we never win the GF again.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I recall back when the Blions, Horks Pucats, etc were having their run of success, I had a grudging admiration for them. I also wished that we could be in their position, now we are & it's great.
I really don't give a flying fig what the media or oppo suporters say i just sit back & love evry minute of it.

Sooner or later we'll stumble & fall, til then I say, just lap it up.