AFL appoints US company to find footy’s next boss | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL appoints US company to find footy’s next boss

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Odgers Berndtson would have been a marginally better choice considering they know a bit more
about Sport...
but this kind of reeks as to precisely where the AFL are, or think they are, at ..

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
At least they are taking on the clubs feedback. Essentially the clubs have said a big no to Travis Auld and Andrew Dillon.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"...a number of club presidents expressed their preference for an external candidate (after the AFL said 'no way that Bolshevik Gale's getting it')."

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
"...a number of club presidents expressed their preference for an external candidate (after the AFL said 'no way that Bolshevik Gale's getting it')."
The AFL boys club don't want Benny and his pesky good governance and accountability.
The Clubs don't want another internal appointment boys club hack.

Reading the political tealeaves, it looks like neither will happen, which could, hopefully, be a win-win for us.

Reactions: 6 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The AFL boys club don't want Benny and his pesky good governance and accountability.
The Clubs don't want another internal appointment boys club hack.

Reading the political tealeaves, it looks like neither will happen, which could, hopefully, be a win-win for us.
If the AFL appoints someone "like Gale, as good as Gale, but not Gale" and we keep Benny, I'll turn cartwheels, snakey.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Christine Colgate? Rolex watches and racism for everyone!

The Woodside CEO was a captains call by Goyter, no wonder he went back to the same company.

This US recruitment firm won't have a *smile* clue who the right candidates are for the role. Goyter will be telling them who to shortlist and then who to recommend.

This stinks to high heaven. Auld $1.01 now.

How the hell the clubs let this *smile* Chair the AFL is beyond me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
If the AFL appoints someone "like Gale, as good as Gale, but not Gale" and we keep Benny, I'll turn cartwheels, snakey.
Peggy on the AFL board would be good too. Have we had anyone on the board since Schwab?

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The Woodside CEO was a captains call by Goyder, no wonder he went back to the same company.

This US recruitment firm won't have a *smile* clue who the right candidates are for the role. Goyder will be telling them who to shortlist and then who to recommend.

This stinks to high heaven. Auld $1.01 now.

How the hell the clubs let this *smile* Chair the AFL is beyond me.
You make a good case. Lets face it, most substantive AFL matters stink to high heaven. Stinking to high heaven is their default setting.

But Auld? Stuff me, 1) the bloke makes Stuart Robert look like Bob Hawke, he makes Nigel Farage look kind of charming, and 2) apparently he didn't come up smelling like roses in Warner's Boys Club book, to say the least.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
You make a good case. Lets face it, most substantive AFL matters stink to high heaven. Stinking to high heaven is their default setting.

But Auld? Stuff me, 1) the bloke makes Stuart Robert look like Bob Hawke, he makes Nigel Farage look kind of charming, and 2) apparently he didn't come up smelling like roses in Warner's Boys Club book, to say the least.
This is the same book that Goyter denied reading when interviewed after its release and then said its actually full of mistruths. When asked how he knew this if he hadn't read it he said 'someone had told him'.

F me this *smile* should be running the Keystone Kops not the AFL.

Speaking of Mick Warner what's happened to him? Has Gilligan and Goyter seen fit to have him moved on by News Corp?

Reactions: 2 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Christine Colgate? Rolex watches and racism for everyone!

Perhaps also not shocking is they did not put out a request for tender and appointed a firm with no depth of experience in sports executive recruiting.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Once worked for a large, listed organisation that employed the services of a similar company to find their next CEO. After a long and exhaustive international search they recommended the current CFO who sat one desk away from CEO and had been groomed to take that role for a number of years.

What are the chances the AFL’s chosen head hunter comes to a similar conclusion?

Reactions: 2 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Company will look at people they don’t know in a sport they don’t know and then hand it to the AFL Exec to make a decision that they already know.

Status Quo.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Once worked for a large, listed organisation that employed the services of a similar company to find their next CEO. After a long and exhaustive international search they recommended the current CFO who sat one desk away from CEO and had been groomed to take that role for a number of years.

What are the chances the AFL’s chosen head hunter comes to a similar conclusion?

Agree the purpose of this is not actual transparency, it is to give the appearance of transparency.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
If Benny doesn't get it then my next preference is for the best available external candidate, no more jobs for the boys. Finally the clubs look like knocking some sense into the AFL. Concerning that there was no tender process however and the firm lacks sporting experience.