AFL Grand Final time ... if it ain't broke don't fix it I reckon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL Grand Final time ... if it ain't broke don't fix it I reckon

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne
Just saying the 2.30 time slot should be maintained because its been the tradition.
Shifting it to twilight opens up a can of worms. Footy fans getting on the turps for most of the day only to see
Melee,s, carnage and mayhem at homes as well at the "G" depending on the outcome.
And throw in the getting to and from the ground whether it be by car and public transport. And the timing of pre grand final corporate functions. Thats my rant. Thoughts ?

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Great outcome.

Leave it as it is!

Night games can and are awesome as the final showed with the Cats last year and the Anzac game but I'm big on tradition and not copying other codes or the US in everything.

AFL = Australian Football League uniquely Australian .

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
It's perfect where it is.

Allows a build up.
Allows the celebration.
Allows neutrals to get home and do their own thing at night

Who precisely are the extra viewers they will get starting 90 minutes later?

But Gill says a twilight one is "inevitable" = ""it's a KPI for me to convince the Commision to change it within my current contract"

And there are power brokers like Hutchinson who are constantly yapping about need to copy yanks. Why don't we copy the poms?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I used to agree. Then I lived in Sydney for a couple of years. The evening slot for the final was a lot better than I expected. Big buildup during the day then the evening BBQs and the match under lights.

I'm a convert. play it in the dark

Tigerdangerous

Tigerdangerous
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
In case you haven't notice Australia has become the 51st of the United States of America and it makes me sick. The AFL has led this direction over the last 20 years by copying anything and everything associated with NFL, media exposure and allowing TV to determine time slots and days on which games are played. Christ even names like the West Coast Eagles, or the Gold Coast Suns give me the *smile* - stinks of Americanism.

Can you imagine Richmond being called Richmond Wild Tigers or just Tiger Pride or some other claptrap. Traditions ARE IMPORTANT and leaving the Grand Final at the MCG starting at 2.10pm is a no brainer. The AFL has not had one original idea in generations so I'm not surprised they want a twilight GF eventually moving it to a Sunday, or wait for it, a Monday night GF just like the NFL. Muppets!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Tigerdangerous said:
In case you haven't notice Australia has become the 51st of the United States of America and it makes me sick. The AFL has led this direction over the last 20 years by copying anything and everything associated with NFL, media exposure and allowing TV to determine time slots and days on which games are played. Christ even names like the West Coast Eagles, or the Gold Coast Suns give me the sh!ts - stinks of Americanism.

Can you imagine Richmond being called Richmond Wild Tigers or just Tiger Pride or some other claptrap. Traditions ARE IMPORTANT and leaving the Grand Final at the MCG starting at 2.10pm is a no brainer. The AFL has not had one original idea in generations so I'm not surprised they want a twilight GF eventually moving it to a Sunday, or wait for it, a Monday night GF just like the NFL. Muppets!!!!!!

+1

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
22nd Man said:
It's perfect where it is.

Allows a build up.
Allows the celebration.
Allows neutrals to get home and do their own thing at night

Who precisely are the extra viewers they will get starting 90 minutes later?

But Gill says a twilight one is "inevitable" = ""it's a KPI for me to convince the Commision to change it within my current contract"

And there are power brokers like Hutchinson who are constantly yapping about need to copy yanks. Why don't we copy the poms?

Gill is conflicted - evening GF means more $ from tv - that's his KPI.

I like the arvo game and they can try after game party like the Grand Prix

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Prefer the 2.30pm to be honest. Last year really showed me that. Build up throughout the morning and early arvo, then watch the game and then we got the evening concert. So great to do that with my kids, being as the concert finished around 8pm it meant it is easier to take them to it. If its an all day event like the GF always is, that ends at 9.30-10, that's a very long day to keep kids going for, a later game would not be as good for families IMO.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I’ve been to nrl grand finals as a storm supporter , daytime , twilight and night ,

As a supporter , I prefer daytime , you wake in the morning, you just want to get it started ASAP , the long anxious wait for a night game is torture

And then after the game you have plenty of time to celebrate

Reactions: 1 user

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Never EVER thought I would say this but after watching a few later sporting events at night I’m slowly converting.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Article in today's Hun about the impending Twilight or night grand final. Eddie McWanker all over it of course, we need another massive event to entertain all the theatre goers.

Loved Poosy's comment, he's been to the Superwank, erm, I mean superbowl or whatever it's called. Yanks don't go for the game as such, they go for the huge event. Just like Eddie wants it to be. Aussie rules fans ( us ) go for the game, not the hype n razzle dazzle. Poosy wants our Granny left alone and played at 2.30 as it should be. Yay for Poosy, he's got this right.

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Leave it FFS. Quality of football slips when the ground gets dew on it but the AFL are probably thinking about ad revenue in prime time versus daytime and that's more important.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
TigerMasochist said:
Article in today's Hun about the impending Twilight or night grand final. Eddie McWanker all over it of course, we need another massive event to entertain all the theatre goers.

Loved Poosy's comment, he's been to the Superwank, erm, I mean superbowl or whatever it's called. Yanks don't go for the game as such, they go for the huge event. Just like Eddie wants it to be. Aussie rules fans ( us ) go for the game, not the hype n razzle dazzle. Poosy wants our Granny left alone and played at 2.30 as it should be. Yay for Poosy, he's got this right.

Yep. American football games go for 25 hours (exaggeration for those thinking of correcting me) so naturally they need other entertainment. My most memorable moment of the AFL grand final was the Tigers winning the game, not the bands playing before and after the game.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
i have always preferred a day GF, but going to the prelim last year has made me think a twilight GF wouldnt be so bad. i would want it to start much alter thean 4/4:30 though otherwise the finish starts getting late for kids, and drunks.