AFL lift Stafford suspension | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL lift Stafford suspension

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
from www.puntroad.com/content
======================
The AFL has written to the Richmond Football Club saying it will lift the current suspension on ruckman Greg Stafford if he agrees to wear protective gear whilst on the field.

AFL Deputy Strategic Manager for Special Letters to Footy Clubs Gil McCoy, didn't hold a press conference to explain the letter. Instead he said down a dodgy phone line "Look, we don't hold anything against Greg. He's a good ruckman and provides leadership around a club that needs it. We want Greg to play, but we don't want anyone else to find themselves at the wrong end of his elbows or knees. This isn't a case of protecting Greg from himself, but rather others from his extremities."

Richmond Football Club Sponsorship Manger Eugene Wantanabe chose to look on this as a positive development for his department. "I'm not that concerned. Clearly, we need Greg playing in the ruck so we can get Otto down at full forward. From my perspective, I can get big sponsorship deals out of this. Wiltshire Knives have expressed interest as has the great Indian restaurant in East Melbourne Ganguly's."

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Hahhaah

I honestly think Staffords "reputation" got him the 3 weeks.The incident was an accident IMO and it was unfortunate that Blake was injured so badly.

tiger_10_grr

The tiges at the G - there's no better place to be
Sep 10, 2003
melb
I'm a great advocate for Staff, but i have to agree that his previous visits to the tribunal went against him, along with the fact that Blake's injury was severe, however, i can't see how the contact made by staff cracked the Blake's lower back, Staff's knees whent into his what I thought was kidney area.

As for wearing of items to protect others from knees ....... i'd like to see all the Tiges wearing rib protectors next time we play the Kangaroos to save themselves from David "The Knee" King.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I'm with Evo on this one. Very very easy to say you should of done this and you should of done that. God he was chasing the player with the ball. Clumsy yes, intentional no and if the reason for suspension is that he's injured the guy then what about Lynch and Wakelin's face. Cough, cough.... consistency.... cough, cough.

And lastly how can Staff's record of previous tribunal appearances be used as evidence if he was found NOT guilty. It is not an issue. I think he has only been suspended twice previously once in '96 which the AFL said he was past the use by date and the last one was about '01 for striking. So how does his reputation precede him. Crap!!

One week absoulte max, but what's done is done.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If I was stafford I'll be telling the Afl they can shove the idea! Why should he be singles out?

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
Uhm seven, it's a joke. I do them a fair bit.

And for tiger _10_grr, this is a piece we did on countering Mr King's Unique "sliding in to packs" style

http://www.puntroad.com/content/index.php?topgroupid=999999999&groupid=18&subgroupid=&contentid=90

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Tiger in a Tube said:
Uhm seven, it's a joke. I do them a fair bit.

And for tiger _10_grr, this is a piece we did on countering Mr King's Unique "sliding in to packs" style

http://www.puntroad.com/content/index.php?topgroupid=999999999&groupid=18&subgroupid=&contentid=90

Sorry, I'll admit I'm a bit slow.

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
I agree there was zero evidence from the video to suggest Staff did anything deliberately or even recklessly.

He fell over the player and the Tribunal expects him to flip himself miraculously so there's no contact ???

Humph! :mad: