AFL Media's False Narratives. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL Media's False Narratives.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It was more like “if GC continue winning they may be closer to a premiership than Richmond”, something like that.
I think he said Ellis was closer to a premiership than Richmond.

Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
For the health of the code, it's more important to grow the game in Homebush than it is in Hobart.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think he said Ellis was closer to a premiership than Richmond.
Yep, I looked it up:

“Give me another month and if some of these players from Richmond continue to play like they don’t have the hunger like they do, Brandon could quite possibly be closer (to a flag at the Suns),” he said.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Port Adelaide fans singing 'Never tear us apart' is one of the great spectacles in Australian sport

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Gil: “fans want more goals. higher scoring”

Really? Don’t remember fans calling for more goals at that time.
now everyone is brained washed into thinking more goals equals better football.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Carlton v Collingwood, no matter where they are on the ladder it’s always a great game.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
Carlton v Collingwood, no matter where they are on the ladder it’s always a great game.
Beat me to it. Never really true of any other rivalry I can think of either.

And speaking of rivalries...

'Carlton-Collingwood is the biggest rivalry in the AFL' has to be up there for false AFL media narratives.

It's not the '70s or '80s anymore, or the VFL, which was when the rivalry peaked, meeting in three grand finals in 11 seasons. The pair haven't even met in a final since 1988.

The 'Pies have played in four grand finals this century (five if you include the 2010 draw), while barring 2000-01, the Blues have been largely irrelevant. Similarly, the 'Pies were mediocre for most of the '90s while the Blues played in three grand finals and a few finals series.

Would say the same for Carlton-Richmond. Rare in the AFL era that both have been decent outfits at the same time (1995, 2001 maybe?). Especially the past four years when the Tiges have been flying and the Blues have been as irrelevant as ever. That 2013 final was sweet, but the fact was Carlton didn't legitimately make it, and were an average at best side that year. But the game was nonetheless a small taste of what the rivalry all used to mean and what it once was. I don't think I've ever heard the MCG louder than that day with almost 95k there.

I actually hate Essendon more now and enjoy beating the pricks more, but perhaps it's all relevant to ladder position. AFL era.. 1993 GF (some epic battles throughout that year too), 1999 (the flag the Bombers should have won), 2000 (Bombers 20 wins in a row, Blues won 13 in a row, first and second on the ladder), 2001 (then-powerhouse Bombers looking ominous again, Blues had their measure becoming the only side in that 1999-2001 period to beat them three times, by beating them twice in that '01 season..). Then fast forward past then and neither club has been a widely touted genuine threat since, but still take great delight in beating one-another...

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Beat me to it. Never really true of any other rivalry I can think of either.

And speaking of rivalries...

'Carlton-Collingwood is the biggest rivalry in the AFL' has to be up there for false AFL media narratives.

It's not the '70s or '80s anymore, or the VFL, which was when the rivalry peaked, meeting in three grand finals in 11 seasons. The pair haven't even met in a final since 1988.

The 'Pies have played in four grand finals this century (five if you include the 2010 draw), while barring 2000-01, the Blues have been largely irrelevant. Similarly, the 'Pies were mediocre for most of the '90s while the Blues played in three grand finals and a few finals series.

Would say the same for Carlton-Richmond. Rare in the AFL era that both have been decent outfits at the same time (1995, 2001 maybe?). Especially the past four years when the Tiges have been flying and the Blues have been as irrelevant as ever. That 2013 final was sweet, but the fact was Carlton didn't legitimately make it, and were an average at best side that year. But the game was nonetheless a small taste of what the rivalry all used to mean and what it once was. I don't think I've ever heard the MCG louder than that day with almost 95k there.

I actually hate Essendon more now and enjoy beating the pricks more, but perhaps it's all relevant to ladder position. AFL era.. 1993 GF (some epic battles throughout that year too), 1999 (the flag the Bombers should have won), 2000 (Bombers 20 wins in a row, Blues won 13 in a row, first and second on the ladder), 2001 (then-powerhouse Bombers looking ominous again, Blues had their measure becoming the only side in that 1999-2001 period to beat them on the 'G three times, by beating them twice in that '01 season..no other team had managed it once). Then fast forward past then and neither club has been a widely touted genuine threat since, but still take great delight in beating one-another...
The period of the late 60s to the 80s was an intense rivalry period for Richmond and Carlton for sure. There were some notable incidents like Big Nic stitching up Crowie at the tribunal ( old timers still talk about it) and of course the 1973 Grannie. I think you are right however that the younger supporters of both clubs don’t feel this rivalry so it becomes a media thing.

I am sure Carlton supporters are desperate to beat us but I suspect that’s because it hasn’t happened for a long time and I reckon some Tiger supporters would swap a few of those wins since then for a win in that 2013 final.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
When a player perceived to be a good kick of the footy (usually one with a lovely left foot) turns it over:

“Well, you don’t see that very often”

Except it’s said every week.