AFL"s Illicit Drug Policy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL"s Illicit Drug Policy

Do you agree with the 3 strike policy currently in place?

• 1 strike you are out.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Leave it as it is.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 2 is better

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • All codes should have a uniform drug policy

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Confidentiality should be in place to protect players

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Name and shame

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Education is more important then all out punishment

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
lamb22 said:
The players should say that they agree to in season testing for performancing enhancing drugs and tell the AFL they should screw themselves in relation to testing for recreational drugs.

If the AFL don't agree the players should go on strike.

The present scenario was a good attempt at harm minimisation where players VOLUNTARILY accepted more restrictions on their lives in return for a welfare based approach.

However due to the nongs in the press and the general public sensationalising what appears to be drug use well below the norm in society we have come to this witchhunt and bull$hit bastardry masquerading as brainless middle class morality.

lamb22 said:
If we are serious we should have every employee bow into a breathalyser each morning and anyone above 0.0 should be sacked on the spot.

They could have them at Centrelink and we can save heaps by stripping pensioners, the disabled and the unemployed of their benefits.

They could do random audits of the homeless and those without benefits could get the lash instead.

It never ceases to amaze me how the common man or woman in the street has such contempt for notions such as freedom of choice and freedom of expression.

It really doesn't take much to rouse the torpid from their slumber with the prospect of a good stoning of someone not quite like us. (or like us, but NOT actully us)
Amen, brother.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Obviously I am a simpleton. If someone wants to play AFL and the AFL have rules regarding drug testing and you sign on to play then you accept the rules. If you don't like it then don't sign on and play.

joegarra

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2013
Werribee South
Ian4 said:
that's a comment from someone who clearly hasn't been exposed to this type of environment.

let me tell you something... we've been hearing stories about ice and weed and how illicit drugs ruin peoples lives. for every 1 person who 'ruins their life' by taking drugs, there are another 100 people (at least) who work, have families, and lead a normal life. like alcohol, moderation is the key.

As a GP who is sick of hearing patients tell me they can control their addiction, I respectfully disagree with you, but you (as I am) are entitled to your opinion. The term recreational drugs makes me sick - they are illegal mind altering substances.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
joegarra said:
As a GP who is sick of hearing patients tell me they can control their addiction

and I concede that addiction a trait I don't have myself, so its a side of other people I don't really comprehend. i'm a casual smoker, casual drinker, casual drug taker, casual gambler, etc. the only thing I can't really go without is coffee.

but what I do see is that many of my mates are also casual drug takers and all of them work full time, and lead normal lives. if I was to choose one vice that would create issues more than anything else amongst my circle of friends, its alcohol hands down.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Round and round and round they go...next we'll read suggestions for Ice to be legalised and provided on the PBS. Whoops already been done. :blah

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Ian4 said:
they are if taken on match day I believe.

Just match day you believe? That surprises me, would like that confirmed.
Guess it depends on what the definition of 'in competition' means because cocaine is definitely on the banned stimulants list.

http://list.wada-ama.org/prohibited-in-competition/prohibited-substances/

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
The AFL doesn't need a drugs policy. Who is anyone to dare accuse our young upstanding role models who play football of taking drugs? Please remember your places people. It's not yours to accuse anyone above you of anything. How dare you? You bunch of miserable weeds. It's all just 'tall poopy' syndrome. You're all just jealous.

The catholic church must be spewing they didn't think of a '3 strikes' policy.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Google says WADA defines "incompetition" as "the period commencing twelve hours before a Competition through to the end of such Competition and the Sample collection process related to the end of such Competition"