AFL Trade Period solutions. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL Trade Period solutions.

The Big Richo

Staff member
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Thought a thread for suggestions about how to improve the AFL trade period could be interesting.

Here's my thoughts.

1. Clubs can trade players under contract.

2. Clubs can make trades without player permission.

3. Clubs can purchase existing contracts for a 15% premium if the player agrees. Free Agency style compensation received by original club.

4. Clubs can trade salary cap money.

Practical examples of how these steps might work would be:

Bobby Hill wants to go to Essendon, so GWS either trades or Essendon can buy his contract on the same terms for 15% more money. GWS receive an AFL compensation.

Richmond trade Josh Caddy to the Gold Coast in exchange for $500,000 of cap space for the next two years. With Caddy's wage out that opens $850,000 of cap space. Richmond trade in Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn in exchange for picks.

North want CCJ for pick 38 but St Kilda offers pick 27. Richmond take the St Kilda deal unless North give up pick 20.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The media, namely the AFL and Hutchy have built it up to something it isn't.

Cut it back to two days. First day for posturing and the second day for deals.

Reactions: 7 users

The Big Richo

Staff member
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The media, namely the AFL and Hutchy have built it up to something it isn't.

Cut it back to two days. First day for posturing and the second day for deals.

I don't mind it going for a week if it is worthwhile.

At the moment there are too many clubs not brave enough to make big moves and too many stalemates. I think if you removed the chance of a stalemate it would really get things jumping.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

At the moment there are too many clubs not brave enough to make big moves and too many stalemates. I think if you removed the chance of a stalemate it would really get things jumping.
Clubs are scared to get the raw end of a deal so don't make them. Imagine if there were no point, would be even less deals.

Richmond and Adelaide having a crack for the number 1 pick probably the most exciting attempts.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Do away with all compensation. It’s not fair for other clubs to pay a price for player movements they have no involvement in.

Do away with the draft.

Players free to move to any club after their contract has ended.

Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Clubs are getting more efficient at the process. Mainly, they just sit down and nut out a deal that is relatively fair to both parties. That is good for the clubs but boring as bat doo doo for the rest of us.

The drama of list managers storming out of meetings or selling the farm for a half back flanker are over, until someone draws the short straw and has to negotiate with Dodoro.

I would like to see a different system for getting father/sons and especially Academy kids. This idea of accumulating 5 late picks and then converting them into a top 10 pick via the bidding system is unfair.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The drop in the salary cap has certainly led to less flexibility, at least for a little while, so that one should play out over a few years. Player payments will have to adjust unless the salary cap rises again.

Trading players while under contract should be an option in contracts. Apparently they do this in the USA, some contracts state that the player can be traded and others require the player's permission. I would assume this has an impact on salary, you get more if you agree you can be traded. Seems reasonable and gives both the club and the player options.

Not sure what is meant by trading salary cap money. However, this would have to be a trade, you can't allow richer clubs to trade in salary cap money for a price as this goes against the purpose of the salary cap. If by this it means a club can trade out current salary cap for future salary cap and you put in, say, a rule that it all needs to even out over 5 years, then that could work. A rebuilding club could then hold on to the young players they develop by trading out some 2022 salary cap leading to the ability to pay the same amount over in, say, 2025 when they would hope to be rising and having to pay the players they recruited back in 2022 more as they have become valuable players. That could work as it means clubs can go through cycles of paying below and above the cap.

DS

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne

For mine though the question should be, how does getting things jumping make the game better?

Its a sideshow, that has only been expanded so the media can make a few more bucks and making it even more expansive just encourages the worst parts of the game IMO.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
It's not the length of the trade period that's the problem - it's the media coverage of it. If the clubs and players could just quietly go about the business of trading without all the posturing by the has beens and wannabes, a week or 2 would probably be an appropriate length for it

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
That's the only way you're going to be able to trade players under contract. The money has got to be appealing enough to 'own' them.
Is it time to consider privately owned clubs?
Not sure we need to do that TOO. However we need to increase the salary cap to be able to have more fluid movement within trade week but also to an extent reward the well run clubs. For all our success we are really no better off than a basket case like North. This is from an on-field and coaching perspective.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Run it from the Monday after the Grand Final to the week before the first round of the following year.

All trades wide open, players and draft picks. Have a mid-season three-day trade window.

Or, have a week period like they do now and then shut the window now and reopen a day before the draft and a day after.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
If any Joe Blow can just use “I want to go home” (which mainly seems to mean, more money) and draw a line in the sand, then clubs should be able to do the same and trade these guys without their consent.

Increase the salary cap and that will offset any misgivings the players may have.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Have to give the clubs more power and then greater options with contract terms for players - like they have in the US. Let the clubs control the tradability but let them negotiate with players things like no trade clauses, nominated no trade clubs, opt outs etc etc.

It’s amateur hour in the AFL. We’re decades behind other sports.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It's not the length of the trade period that's the problem - it's the media coverage of it. If the clubs and players could just quietly go about the business of trading without all the posturing by the has beens and wannabes, a week or 2 would probably be an appropriate length for it

The way I see it, you have the choice of receiving 5 minutes worth of news in 5 minutes, or you can be drip-fed those same 5 minutes over 2 weeks by snake oil salesmen.

The AFL media’s mission, literally, is to waste your time. Give them the don’t argue!

Reactions: 2 users