AFL Trade Period solutions. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL Trade Period solutions.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
When ever a trade is done both clubs get a AFL scratchie.
CEO has to scratch the ticket live on TV to show the prize the receive
1. A bonus draft pick
2. Don't get to play Geeelong at Geeelong next season
3. Year supply of McDonalds Happy meals
4. Dinner with Gil
5. Be the umpire's pet for a round of your choice
6. Free session with Collective Mind
7. Free enter into AFLX
8. Start the season with a extra 2 pts

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah, the media involvement is farcical. What is the point of Trade Week, complete with its own pop up radio station and endless gibberish? Trading players and contracts is not a spectator sport. Most of the negotiation now is just online anyway so they can’t even talk about the meeting between so-and-so and whoever in a room at Marvel Stadium like they used to do.

I wouldn’t get too excited about what goes on in US sport either. The Ben Simmons/Philadelphia saga has been pretty ridiculous too. Just open up a trade window from the start of October until the National Draft and just let the clubs report trades when they happen. There is no need to focus it into a week or whatever it is they are trying to do and try to turn it into an event. At the end of the day, it is just a few business meetings.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Thought a thread for suggestions about how to improve the AFL trade period could be interesting.

Here's my thoughts.

1. Clubs can trade players under contract.

2. Clubs can make trades without player permission.

3. Clubs can purchase existing contracts for a 15% premium if the player agrees. Free Agency style compensation received by original club.

4. Clubs can trade salary cap money.

Practical examples of how these steps might work would be:

Bobby Hill wants to go to Essendon, so GWS either trades or Essendon can buy his contract on the same terms for 15% more money. GWS receive an AFL compensation.

Richmond trade Josh Caddy to the Gold Coast in exchange for $500,000 of cap space for the next two years. With Caddy's wage out that opens $850,000 of cap space. Richmond trade in Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn in exchange for picks.

North want CCJ for pick 38 but St Kilda offers pick 27. Richmond take the St Kilda deal unless North give up pick 20.

Great thread Richo.
Like all of your suggestions except 4, which I would change in the manner suggested above by DS.

That is you would need to have a period for the averaging out of salary cap sales of I would suggest 3 years rather than his suggested 5, to ensure that the bigger clubs are prevented from using their size and wealth to always dominate the others, like now occurs in the UK Premier League.

3 year averaging IMO would be better in that it would allow clubs to adjust for particular circumstances, rather than deliberately undertake a see saw kind of approach, which could see stronger clubs effectively making a habit of planning to lose.

I would also add provision to allow for public disclosure of a players salary. This would allow the public to understand why clubs had reached certain decisions
and be able to use that information when electing club boards.

Players would be unhappy with most of your suggestions and certainly with this last one but giving the people who actually own the clubs, the information needed to assess the performance of club administrators is the most effective way of ensuring that clubs are well run.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Players nominate that they want to be traded. eg Bobby Hill or Clubs nominate a player they want to dump. eg Tex Walker
Clubs nominate an amount that they have free in the cap. eg Carlton 350k

Names are placed in one barrel, club name and nominated amount in another.
One name is randomly drawn, one club and their figure is randomly drawn.

Gil announces the draw - Welcome to Carlton Bobby! You get 350k per year. Welcome to Norf Tex. You get 1.2mil. @%%&&*)!
Clubs get no compensation. All done in one day. Simple.

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Thought a thread for suggestions about how to improve the AFL trade period could be interesting.

Here's my thoughts.

1. Clubs can trade players under contract.

2. Clubs can make trades without player permission.

3. Clubs can purchase existing contracts for a 15% premium if the player agrees. Free Agency style compensation received by original club.

4. Clubs can trade salary cap money.

Practical examples of how these steps might work would be:

Bobby Hill wants to go to Essendon, so GWS either trades or Essendon can buy his contract on the same terms for 15% more money. GWS receive an AFL compensation.

Richmond trade Josh Caddy to the Gold Coast in exchange for $500,000 of cap space for the next two years. With Caddy's wage out that opens $850,000 of cap space. Richmond trade in Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn in exchange for picks.

North want CCJ for pick 38 but St Kilda offers pick 27. Richmond take the St Kilda deal unless North give up pick 20.

I think trading out salary cap could be a great option. There may need to be some caveats over how much you can trade in (or out) but it makes sense.

Currently due to the 95% minimum payment level, average players need to be paid a lot of money by the weaker clubs, but then the teams competing at the top can be a bit hamstrung.

Trading in salary cap for a draft pick makes sense for both teams. Take for example, Richmond this year. This is kind of already done to some extent with the original club paying some salary cap of individual players but this would provide more flexibility.

Lets say the Tigers really wanted JOM this year. Lets say his current club wouldn't pay his wage, but would take pick 22 for him. We could then trade say Pick 28 for $400k of cap space from someone like North or Adelaide who will most likely be under their cap this year.

Teams down the bottom get the benefit of 1 - not overpaying players just to meet the minimum salary cap and 2 - gain extra picks to rebuild quicker

Teams at the top, get to top up additional players, but sacrificing some of their future, hence why there would need to be caveats in a similar way where teams have to take x number of 1st round draft picks every 4 years.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Whilst this won't really affect the trade period, I think another thing we should change is that teams should be able to move $'s from the TPP into the soft cap (it should only work 1 way).

Ie. you are a team at the bottom, you have to pay 95% of the cap, so you inflate players contracts to something that they aren't worth, which ultimately leads to salary dumps later down the line, its pretty dumb forcing clubs to pay players more than they are worth.

How about you can move $500k from the TPP into the soft cap, enabling you to bring in more development coaches to develop the talent that is on the list. If we are going to increase the number of teams at some point (new Tassie team, new NT team) then we need to find a way to retain more players in the AFL system and that means additional development resources.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Geez - some clever people in this place. Wish you were running the show!

Player’s Union might be a big sticking point with some of the ideas though.