AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The randomness of when a throw free kick is payed is infuriating. They happen constantly and are mostly ignored. Holding the ball is also infuriating but there are a lot of variables. What exactly is prior? Ump often apparently says 'no prior' just to justify not paying it, because more often than not there is prior. Or if he feels like paying it, or to justify paying it he might say 'dragged it it in' when he didn't, or he might say 'no genuine attempt' when there was, or at least just as much of a fake genuine attempt as the prior ones than weren't paid. It does my head in, Complete debacle.
Yeah I dont get when its no prior ball spilled loose / knocked free / he tried vs no prior but you threw it and gets paid. They look identical to me and these were some of the ones we got dodgied on.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah I saw that. With players flopping forward in a tackle to get an in the back free, the response has been to tackle a player and drag them sideways so they can't flop. Yet again, the problem is caused by not clamping down on players trying to milk frees. What a mess they are making of the game.

DS

and this is exactly what Pickett was trying to do. Rolled him in the tackle so he wouldn't fall into his back, and then gets pinned for apparently a dangerous tackle. Joke.

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Yeah I saw that. With players flopping forward in a tackle to get an in the back free, the response has been to tackle a player and drag them sideways so they can't flop. Yet again, the problem is caused by not clamping down on players trying to milk frees. What a mess they are making of the game.

DS
Agree.
I think they are worried from the legal ramifications of long term affects on the brain & issues with that but in saying that it is a heavy contact sport. We tackle players with the ball, twist their body to avoid the in the back, but how do you avoid the head touching the turf. Impossible at times with forward motion with a chase down. (same thghts as MrPoshman mentioned) Damn hard

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Agree.
I think they are worried from the legal ramifications of long term affects on the brain & issues with that but in saying that it is a heavy contact sport. We tackle players with the ball, twist their body to avoid the in the back, but how do you avoid the head touching the turf. Impossible at times with forward motion with a chase down. (same thghts as MrPoshman mentioned) Damn hard
Make them all wear helmets, which are made from waterbed type materials. When their head hits the ground, water moves so as not to provide a hard surface for their brain to rattle in, but not that far that their head touches the turf. It could be like an old deep sea diving helmet type of thing. I can just imagine it now. It'll be such a saviour against the threat of legal bills.......

Not long after every coach will bemoan the loss in kicking accuracy, as the players all flop side to side from the additional weight they are now carrying on their bonce.
Sorry, I know the above is rediculous, but in the world we live in today........I can see some equally stupid suggestion getting up.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Have
Make them all wear helmets, which are made from waterbed type materials. When their head hits the ground, water moves so as not to provide a hard surface for their brain to rattle in, but not that far that their head touches the turf. It could be like an old deep sea diving helmet type of thing. I can just imagine it now. It'll be such a saviour against the threat of legal bills.......

Not long after every coach will bemoan the loss in kicking accuracy, as the players all flop side to side from the additional weight they are now carrying on their bonce.
Sorry, I know the above is rediculous, but in the world we live in today........I can see some equally stupid suggestion getting up.
Have you sent the above to S. Hocking, could be in place by this round?

• Haha

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

Reckon helmets will be made mandatory some time in the future as more and more cases of concussion appear. The science for the benefits of helmets will flip similar to how face masks were initially deemed ineffective. A player without a helmet will become an oddity like seeing someone today light up a cigarette in a restaurant.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Helmets don't solve (at least presently) for concussion and concussion flow on effects. In fact, some scientists believe they exacerbate the issue i.e. the brain moves or gets rocked around inside the skull easier with a helmet. Think like a person gets thrown around inside the shell of a car when they have an accident. Many believe it only helps where external injury to the head is concerned and even then, things like fractured cheekbones, jaws etc can still occur.

How long have they been wearing helmets for in the NFL vis-v the huge concussion and CTE issues they have ?

Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Oh and Ryan’s kick was 14.5m …so close enough.

Not sure of the methodology or technology used but Mince says it’s ok so it must be ok.
That just proves what a simpleton Geesook flog Mince is in that case. Look at it again from further wide angle e.g. on the AFL's 10 best moments. It's lucky to be 10m.
Who says Mince is the world AFL authority anyway? Just a pretentious tosser mostly. [And it clearly hit the ground].

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
That just proves what a simpleton Geesook flog Mince is in that case. Look at it again from further wide angle e.g. on the AFL's 10 best moments. It's lucky to be 10m.
Who says Mince is the world AFL authority anyway? Just a pretentious tosser mostly. [And it clearly hit the ground].
No Kings of Leon. Mince has spoken. He is the authority on all matters AFL - especially anything that involves the rules, their interpretations, future state, MRP etc. and absolutely when any of it involves Richmond. He is very consistent on it all when Richmond are involved.

All bow down to the great Mince.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Helmets don't solve (at least presently) for concussion and concussion flow on effects. In fact, some scientists believe they exacerbate the issue i.e. the brain moves or gets rocked around inside the skull easier with a helmet. Think like a person gets thrown around inside the shell of a car when they have an accident. Many believe it only helps where external injury to the head is concerned and even then, things like fractured cheekbones, jaws etc can still occur.

How long have they been wearing helmets for in the NFL vis-v the huge concussion and CTE issues they have ?

Exactly Redders, hence the joke about the water bed style material. They need to somehow cushion the impact, not just allow the head not to cave in. I think the old fashioned cars people used to drive, which were heavy metal construction were a similiar issue. They didn't bend and flex during a crash, so a "ripple" or "tremor" like condition was felt by people inside the car. I've been told by others, that they moved to materials that crumple to reduce injuries to passengers inside the car. Helmets are simliar design. I imagine helmets will start to get greater focus from a technology perspective in the future, or they'll change the sport to reduce impacts.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

As someone who regularly cycles, and opposes bicycle helmet laws as we have and only 2 other countries have, this is very much the case.

In cycling the helmet protects from things like a few stitches to the head when you hit the ground, but there is no evidence it helps with concussion or similar injuries at all. The problem is that when you hit your head it is the brain sloshing around inside the head which causes concussion, not the impact per se. A helmet has no effect on the brain sloshing inside the head when head meets immovable object. As The General points out above, the improvement in cars was the crumple zones, the car stops very quickly which can cause a lot of issues inside the head, but spreading the halt of the car by having the car crumple, and therefore not immediately halting the occupant of the car, seems to make a difference.

Even bike helmets attempt to crumple (hence the foam, but if the foam breaks then the helmet has failed) but you see the size of those things in terms of the thickness around the skull, and anything which actually slows down the way a head stops when it meets the ground at speed would be way too unwieldy for a footballer. Not sure what the NFL helmets are like but they have huge concussion issues so no solution there. I can see little point in the padded helmets some wear, although we don't know enough to be definitive, they look to have little of no impact on the brain sloshing around in the head when head meets immovable object.

This is not an easy issue to deal with.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Oh and Ryan’s kick was 14.5m …so close enough.

Not sure of the methodology or technology used but Mince says it’s ok so it must be ok.
Last week when we’re on the good end of a couple of 50/50s, it’s all “the umpires MUST do better”. Now when we get stiffed, it’s “ahh, that’s close enough”.
Bunch of arse hats

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Last week when we’re on the good end of a couple of 50/50s, it’s all “the umpires MUST do better”. Now when we get stiffed, it’s “ahh, that’s close enough”.
Bunch of arse hats
Absolute joke isn't it. Last week Arsendon got beaten by 7 goals and Yobbo reckons they should query the umpiring with the AFL. Richmond get reamed every week just about. This week we had at least two decisions in the last quarter that were dubious at best and Eagles scored goals from them. We lost by less than a goal. Yet all we hear from the AFL media is either close enough or crickets.

Absolute arsewipes the lot of them.

Reactions: 7 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Absolute joke isn't it. Last week Arsendon got beaten by 7 goals and Yobbo reckons they should query the umpiring with the AFL. Richmond get reamed every week just about. This week we had at least two decisions in the last quarter that were dubious at best and Eagles scored goals from them. We lost by less than a goal. Yet all we hear from the AFL media is either close enough or crickets.

Absolute arsewipes the lot of them.
That rant from Blobbo takes the cake. The week before that they were carrying on about Dimma “whinging” about the umpiring.
What a *smile* potato

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Hah hah hah. JR and Treloar strongly disagreeing with Mince and Elmer’s view of the Mackay incident. Mince’s mind is ticking over “How can I make them agree with me…”

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think it's just another symptom of what almost every sport in the world is struggling with at the moment, how to manage officiating and rule implementation, in light of the concerns about head knocks and the longer term implications of them.
Just as a side thought to this comment, I'm wondering how the round ball game would cope if they had to cancel players heading the ball due to concussion n CTE issues?

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021

the future of AFL as we know it1623755510446.png

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Just as a side thought to this comment, I'm wondering how the round ball game would cope if they had to cancel players heading the ball due to concussion n CTE issues?
That’s actually been raised as an issue, and they’re looking at trying to discourage young players from doing it.