AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Just as a side thought to this comment, I'm wondering how the round ball game would cope if they had to cancel players heading the ball due to concussion n CTE issues?
In soccer it’s in the technique of how to head the ball. Always with the forehead which is arguably the hardest part of the head. I have done this a million times. No ill effect at all. Some might argue against this :). This is even the ball coming at speed. But once you miss that sweet spot which can happen it can leave you dazed for a bit. Worse spot is at the top of your head.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
In soccer it’s in the technique of how to head the ball. Always with the forehead which is arguably the hardest part of the head. I have done this a million times. No ill effect at all. Some might argue against this :). This is even the ball coming at speed. But once you miss that sweet spot which can happen it can leave you dazed for a bit. Worse spot is at the top of your head.
Yeah, but those old suburban grounds with 2" of mud with a waterlogged ball could really knock you around even if you hit the ball properly.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
From a physics point of view would it make any difference to what happens to your brain?

im not a good soccer player and didn’t play much and it sure hurts a lot if it hits the wrong bit of your head. But I reckon the brain is smashing internally into your skull wherever the ball hits and that’s a chronic issue vs the acute issue you are a describing.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
From a physics point of view would it make any difference to what happens to your brain?

im not a good soccer player and didn’t play much and it sure hurts a lot if it hits the wrong bit of your head. But I reckon the brain is smashing internally into your skull wherever the ball hits and that’s a chronic issue vs the acute issue you are a describing.
Even as a kid I wondered about this. Was never keen on heading the ball (not that I had much passion for soccer).

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Even as a kid I wondered about this. Was never keen on heading the ball (not that I had much passion for soccer).
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170215131600.htmfom 2017...

TLDR:

14 retires professional FA players with dementia were studied. Six had their brains examined after they had died.

Of the 6 studied, 4 had CTE.

Of the 14 studied, only 6 reported concussion with loss of consciousness while playing football, each only suffering one concussion during their playing career.

More study needed, but seems likely the repeated heading of the ball may have a cumulative effect.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
14 retires professional FA players with dementia were studied. Six had their brains examined after they had died.
More study needed
Yep. I'd like to know how rates of dementia with CTE for former players compares with the general population. Actual evidence is pretty sketchy IMO.

On a related note, a healthy percentage of serial killers suffered significant head trauma as children.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Massive issue in Football. Alan Shearer just did a doco on it, and being good at it doesn't spare you. Skull might be harder but the brain isn't. Heading will be banned within 10 years for sure.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Yeah, but those old suburban grounds with 2" of mud with a waterlogged ball could really knock you around even if you hit the ball properly.
True that. The old Buffalo balls were like concrete.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Massive issue in Football. Alan Shearer just did a doco on it, and being good at it doesn't spare you. Skull might be harder but the brain isn't. Heading will be banned within 10 years for sure.
Thinking through this though. Proper heading technique is to header through the ball, like a kick really. You're not so much being hit by the ball, rather you are hitting it. As you come through, upper body, neck, head, push through the ball. The hit doesn't suddenly jerk your head back, stop it or retard the movement of your head. Would the brain be knocked around in that situation?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Thinking through this though. Proper heading technique is to header through the ball, like a kick really. You're not so much being hit by the ball, rather you are hitting it. As you come through, upper body, neck, head, push through the ball. The hit doesn't suddenly jerk your head back, stop it or retard the movement of your head. Would the brain be knocked around in that situation?
correct. a proper header doesn't jolt your head to cause your brain to smash the inside of your skull. You're either, as you said, following through with the motion, or your head and neck are still and the ball bounces off the head. Because you are prepared, the neck muscles are stopping any major jolt of the head.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yep. I'd like to know how rates of dementia with CTE for former players compares with the general population. Actual evidence is pretty sketchy IMO.

On a related note, a healthy percentage of serial killers suffered significant head trauma as children.
That's really disturbing. But not surprising; our brain functioning determines what we do, or don't do.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Yes, Bear, because physics.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The force at which the ball impacts your head forces your head backwards. The speed at which your head is forced backwards depends on the speed of the ball and the relative masses of the ball and your head. Also, from the viewpoint of an external observer the head may not seem to be forced backwards if the head is moving forward at the same time, but from the viewpoint of the head (imagine a camera attached to the head) there will be a backwards force. This will result in a movement of the brain relative to the skull. This is somewhat dampened by the cerebrospinal fluid around the brain, but with sufficient force the dampening or cushioning effect will be overcome and this will cause the brain to collide with the bone of the skull.

For a thought experiment fill a square glass container (skull) with water (cerebrospinal fluid) and place a marble (brain of a Collingwood supporter) in the container in the center. Seal the container. Apply a sudden force to the container that causes it to shift to the right. The marble will shift its location in the container towards the left.

:)

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Yes, Bear, because physics.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

The force at which the ball impacts your head forces your head backwards. The speed at which your head is forced backwards depends on the speed of the ball and the relative masses of the ball and your head. Also, from the viewpoint of an external observer the head may not seem to be forced backwards if the head is moving forward at the same time, but from the viewpoint of the head (imagine a camera attached to the head) there will be a backwards force. This will result in a movement of the brain relative to the skull. This is somewhat dampened by the cerebrospinal fluid around the brain, but with sufficient force the dampening or cushioning effect will be overcome and this will cause the brain to collide with the bone of the skull.

For a thought experiment fill a square glass container (skull) with water (cerebrospinal fluid) and place a marble (brain of a Collingwood supporter) in the container in the center. Seal the container. Apply a sudden force to the container that causes it to shift to the right. The marble will shift its location in the container towards the left.

Obviously a Whately post, rather than a Robbo post in an AFL360 thread :)

Yeah, I see what you mean, the force/impact is still there despite outer momentum not being impacted as much.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Was about to conduct suggested experiment. ...unable to locate a small enough marble.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

I didn’t have any water so I used beer. And I couldnt find a marble so I used a Malteser.

Test results? Delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users