AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Yep. I'd like to know how rates of dementia with CTE for former players compares with the general population. Actual evidence is pretty sketchy IMO.

On a related note, a healthy percentage of serial killers suffered significant head trauma as children.
There is part of the key... checking an standard population for cte compared against target population... does the data then show contact crates or is it acquired through general living (300 falls of a bike as a kid) you can show any data trends you like if you only test the sample to show that result

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170215131600.htmfom 2017...

TLDR:

14 retires professional FA players with dementia were studied. Six had their brains examined after they had died.

Of the 6 studied, 4 had CTE.

Of the 14 studied, only 6 reported concussion with loss of consciousness while playing football, each only suffering one concussion during their playing career.

More study needed, but seems likely the repeated heading of the ball may have a cumulative effect.

Sounds like all of these guys played soccer a while ago as were diagnosed with dementia between 1980-2010. This would have been the time when those big water absorbant leather balls were used and as others have said, they bloody hurt on a wet day. You could feel the weight of them when you kicked them, without even looking at how that would hurt with the head.

I wonder how much changing the ball over the last 20 or so years has impacted the risk of gaining CTE for soccer players. Its something that I guess won't be known for some time but the balls are so much lighter than they ever were when we were growing up.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I remember one of the Kellaway brothers doing an interview and when asked how they developed the courage to stand under the ball even though they knew the hit was coming said that as kids they would soak a footy, one of them would kick it as high as they could and the other would stand under it and let it hit him on the head.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The Chief is one of the very few that can be entertaining and funny but also provide top notch analysis. Under utilised talent in the footy media I think.
Totally agree. All round ability Bung.

Years ago I lived in the same apartment building as Bung. Nice guy. We’d sometimes bump into one another around the building and he’d say g’day without prompting. Talk about golf if I was carrying the clubs, people that we both knew in footy etc.

Seemed a really decent guy.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Jeez Dunstall overwhelmed Kingsight & Mince with common sense.
The best mince could come up with was one day in the future this won’t be allowed. And I best he’s thinking I’ll be there to say I told you so.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Jeez Dunstall overwhelmed Kingsight & Mince with common sense.
The best mince could come up with was one day in the future this won’t be allowed. And I best he’s thinking I’ll be there to say I told you so.
This is why he has a dumbarse like Elmer on. And other moronic guests like Mark Manure and co. Can’t be seen to be shown up by someone with a brain.

Suspect Bung will never be asked back on ever again.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
This is why he has a dumbarse like Elmer on. And other moronic guests like Mark Manure and co. Can’t be seen to be shown up by someone with a brain.

Suspect Bung will never be asked back on ever again.
Probably true. They never pull mince up, they assume because he can spell “psychology” without the assistance of spell check he must know everything.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Thought Dunstall's defence of Selwood was really poor tonight. Had the opportunity to make a strong stance on attacking the face/head of opponents but missed the mark by laughing it off as sneaky & clumsy. Disappointing. Maybe he wants to work with Gerard next year..

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users