AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure if he hasnt passed his peak.
He's definitely baulked at performing a full rebuild. Carlton by far the more suitable job.

By the time of the 2022 GF, only three men (Malthouse, Jeans, Hughes) will have coached a flag at Clarko's age. Succeeding elsewhere would raise him to another level.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Apart from the money which the Hawks definitely did not want to concede, I'm not sure it's a disaster for Hawthorn. Mitchell was their man for the future and Clarko was in the way.

From July 8 when the succession plan was announced:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/b65424542af679ae92a1ef1a613bfcd0 (paywalled)

Exactly, there was always a succession plan to get Mitchell in after Clarkson's contract finished. They had to go public when Collingwood was indicating interest in Mitchell. Clarkson was done at Hawthorn, the only thing keeping him there was the potential payout. And yes, all orchestrated by Kennett.

Total ballsup in terms of PR - fallout on players and team yet to be determined, but it's not as if they were challenging for the flag anyway.

Big misstep from Clarkson last week saying he was going to stay and invoking the memories of his brother who passed away and so on as a motivation.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
She wrote nothing factual. It was obvious from the time it was announced Clarko would not be there next year. She made up stuff about a meeting she was not at, but made sure she wrote something controversial. She's worse than Kornes, at least his all just opinion. She dresses her crap up as fact.

She was right, and she broke the story today along with Sam McClure in the Age. She's far a gossip columnist, sorry MD. She was right last week and she got the scoop today.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Caro copped abuse (not from me) over the allegation that Mitchell said he'd prefer to work alone next year. She missed the scoop - that Hawthorn would fold on compo after previously standing resolute.

She got the biggest scoop of all today. Clarkson out. The players were only finding out themselves today. Before anyone else broke it.

That's the biggest footy scoop of the year.

Anyone who doubts she has good sources into Hawthorn is kidding themselves.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You say she made up stuff then obviously she's a witch with a crystal ball.

She nailed it, again.
No she's a smart lady who makes tenuous links between events with an intention to provoke. She can’t write on football itself so she concentrates on the sensationalist stuff. Obviously floats some peoples boats.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Makes you wonder who the hell leaks private info to journos??

People at footy clubs leak, it's the same as any other organisation. Sometimes because they have a particular agenda, sometimes because it makes them feel special, sometimes because they just like talking about stuff.

Good journos build relationships with important people.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No she's a smart lady who makes tenuous links between events with an intention to provoke. She can’t write on football itself so she concentrates on the sensationalist stuff. Obviously floats some peoples boats.

She just got the scoop on the biggest football story of the year so far. That's news, whether you like it or not.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
She has been mercilessly bagged by many on here. I have read so much crap about her, but at the end of the day, she got it right. She has been accused of being irrelevant, of being a lousy journo, of making stuff up, of being a hasbeen, of being vindictive and almost being responsible for COVID. She has indeed been very busy. I must say that I think she is very good at her job. I love how she challenges never takes a backward step especially on footy classified. They give her heaps and she just soldiers on through those other irrelevant journos and their snide remarks (hutchy and Cornes)

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
People at footy clubs leak, it's the same as any other organisation. Sometimes because they have a particular agenda, sometimes because it makes them feel special, sometimes because they just like talking about stuff.

Good journos build relationships with important people.
Amazing how there's always somebody there to do this. Must've paid good money Caro.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
She just got the scoop on the biggest football story of the year so far. That's news, whether you like it or not.
What scoop? Anyone who thought Clarko would coach hawks next year is a fool. Leaving now is not surprising, what was the point of staying? They aren’t in contention so it means nothing from a premiership point of view. And the Hawks haven’t been relevant for 5 years as a powerhouse club. The big scoop would be naming who is going to coach. Or breaking the initial story. Clarko and hawks are basically irrelevant. The Pies fiasco a much bigger story for mine.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
She wrote nothing factual. It was obvious from the time it was announced Clarko would not be there next year. She made up stuff about a meeting she was not at, but made sure she wrote something controversial. She's worse than Kornes, at least his all just opinion. She dresses her crap up as fact.
Do you know this, or are you dressing your opinion as fact?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What scoop? Anyone who thought Clarko would coach hawks next year is a fool. Leaving now is not surprising, what was the point of staying? They aren’t in contention so it means nothing from a premiership point of view. And the Hawks haven’t been relevant for 5 years as a powerhouse club. The big scoop would be naming who is going to coach. Or breaking the initial story. Clarko and hawks are basically irrelevant. The Pies fiasco a much bigger story for mine.

She (and McClure) published it before many of the players knew, before the club announced and before anyone else broke the story. That's the very definition of a scoop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
She has been mercilessly bagged by many on here. I have read so much crap about her, but at the end of the day, she got it right. She has been accused of being irrelevant, of being a lousy journo, of making stuff up, of being a hasbeen, of being vindictive and almost being responsible for COVID. She has indeed been very busy. I must say that I think she is very good at her job. I love how she challenges never takes a backward step especially on footy classified. They give her heaps and she just soldiers on through those other irrelevant journos and their snide remarks (hutchy and Cornes)
She talks *smile*, doesn't listen to opinions other than her own and argues for the sake of it most of the time. Time she was moved on

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I assume Clarko's wage for 2022 will come out of their soft cap and no sweetheart deal with be done to allow Hawthorn to avoid this?

DS

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
She (and McClure) published it before many of the players knew, before the club announced and before anyone else broke the story. That's the very definition of A SCOOP
I thought that was just a guy who posts on PRE who thinks he knows something about football... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user