AFL360 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL360

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
All depends on what timeframe they are talking. If for example, Gill is taking a 20% annual decline immediately and asking the players to take 80% for the next 2 months, then without any further declines, Gill is actually taking a bigger pay hit than the players.

Nobody knows what gil makes. The AFL doesn't have shareholders or voters, so opacity all the way. I'm amazed at the apparent total lack of contingency. Billion dollar operation broke as soon as it hits rough waters. Negligent

Reactions: 4 users

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Baffled that the AFL don’t have much cash in reserve for a rainy day. Where’s it all gone?

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Baffled that the AFL don’t have much cash in reserve for a rainy day. Where’s it all gone?

Product of their own making.... under Demetriou and his then sidekick McLachlan, the AFL staff increased in massive numbers and they've torched so much of the wealth on junckets and that thing euphemistically called personal development, among other things like the India/China department!

So many people with conflicts of interest complicit in keeping it all nice and quiet so the nest feathering continued unabated!

The AFL became the greatest gravy train in Australian sport and let's face it, a cozy little go to job for heaps of ex footballers with little or no formal qualifications and experience. ..... stick them in the footy ops and tell the football world they're working on game development!

Eventually when this all settles down, I hope there's a forensic investigation of the books!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Would love to see their books & see where all the money has gone.

Just heard on SEN that The AFL Players Association, (which is a Union), received $37 million from the AFL to run o_O whereas as every other union fees are paid for by its members.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
And he'd be on far more than MOST of the players.
Isn't the AVERAGE pay for AFL players around the $250/300k mark. If so the vast majority of players would be on les than $200k. Rookies are on much much less.
Think it's widely accepted that Gil is on more than any player. And is Been said he is the only administrator of a major sport who earns more than the best player.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Just heard on SEN that The AFL Players Association, (which is a Union), received $37 million from the AFL to run o_O whereas as every other union fees are paid for by its members.
That's about 46,000 per player... No one would pay that in dues. Where does it all go? Is some of it for post footy programs etc?

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Don't know but here is article and what former AFL CEO Wayne Jackson said:

From the article
“I just think that the players have far too much influence at the present time and again I hope the current climate that we’re experiencing might bring some balance back into that.”

Interesting comment considering that without the players there will be no game even when the lock-downs are over.

“It might be welfare offices, it might be medicos, I read with interest that they’re looking to get some advice on the coronavirus issue. Why the AFLPA needs to be involved in that, I don’t know.”

Maybe because it's members are involved with a body contact sport!

I'm a bit puzzled as to why certain areas in the media seem to be really pushing the players into scapegoats - it makes me wonder what the real agenda is because when something is being pushed down our throats it's usually to distract us from something else.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Everything happening today is becuase of the AFL's disregard in Saving.
Pissing money into clubs that 90% of the public wouldn't give a rats ass clacker about.
Pissing away money on players like Hunt & Folau.
Continuing pouring money into a club that has been a failure since it entered to the comp.
Trying to convince other countries about the game.
Having AFL programs outside of the country.
Allowing clubs to spend millions on coaches and sports scientists.

The AFL should've had money to ride out this storm.
100000 people x say $60= 6,000 000 that's what the AFL would get from one game
How could they possibly be struggling.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
AFLPA is a necessary evil though. The AFL's drafting/trading rules wouldn't stand up in court if challenged. To keep the peace they need the players to accept their freedom of employment is curtailed, but that doesn't come for free.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm ok with the players wanting to see what happens after 31/05, they have agreed to a 50% pay cut until then.
I would like to think that they will be reasonable in their negotiations if the game looks like being delayed further.
Why hasn't there been much talk about the $120 million that the AFL has got squirrelled away in their future fund.
As Zip A Dee (Doo Da Doo Da) :cool: said, the AFL needs to cut back on the money that they waste.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I'm ok with the players wanting to see what happens after 31/05, they have agreed to a 50% pay cut until then.
I would like to think that they will be reasonable in their negotiations if the game looks like being delayed further.
Why hasn't there been much talk about the $120 million that the AFL has got squirrelled away in their future fund.
As Zip A Dee (Doo Da Doo Da) :cool: said, the AFL needs to cut back on the money that they waste.

$120 million is nothing when you have a potential billion dollar problem, we will be lucky to have a future

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
$120 million is nothing when you have a potential billion dollar problem, we will be lucky to have a future
Fair enough.

There has to compromise on both sides, but I'm ok with what the players have agreed to up to 31/05. I'm sure they are working on something that is fair for everyone. I think it's unfair to expect them rush into massive pay cuts, because there a lot of different pay situations, front loaded and back loaded contracts, 1st year players etc.

The AFL and the players will have a better idea of what looks like happening once we get to 31/05. I can't see why they can't have scenario A, B, C etc in place for what they will do when they know what is going to happen.

I still maintain that the AFL has been wasting money. I understand they are trying to develop the game. But the Suns were never going to work on the Gold Coast. NRL struggles there(have hand handouts), soccer, basketball and baseball all failed there.
The AFL bailed out the Suns to the tune of close to $30 million in 2017 and again in 2019. I'd like to know what the total spend has been on since their inception. It was never going to work.