AFLPA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLPA

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The AFL & the AFLPA are at loggerheads with thinly veiled threats of strike action.

Bout time a thread was started on this lot headed by Paul Marsh.

IMO there will be a massive backlash from supporters against the players & AFLPA organisation if they dare take that action.

I'm already over the way players have become disengaged from supporters/supporter groups in recent times.

These footballers are very well paid and are in the business of entertainment for a relatively short period of their lives yet it seems as though they are forever pushing for more personal privacy, better pay & better conditions.

They should count themselves very privileged for the opportunities the game affords them which is propped up by the those who watch what they do every week.

They can be replaced. I could quite easily go back to watching local footy.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Tigers of Old said:
The AFL & the AFLPA are at loggerheads with thinly veiled threats of strike action.

Bout time a thread was started on this lot headed by Paul Marsh.

IMO there will be a massive backlash from supporters against the players & AFLPA organisation if they dare take that action.

I'm already over the way players have become disengaged from supporters/supporter groups in recent times.

These footballers are very well paid and are in the business of entertainment for a relatively short period of their lives yet it seems as though they are forever pushing for more personal privacy, better pay & better conditions.

They should count themselves very privileged for the opportunities the game affords them which is propped up by the those who watch what they do every week.

They can be replaced. I could quite easily go back to watching local footy.

Do you know what revenue % goes to the players ToO?

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
These two organisations have done far more harm to football than good. Both have coin as their primary consideration.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
K3 said:
Do you know what revenue % goes to the players ToO?

Current deal is high 20s I reckon.

But putting the % aside for a moment, I have no issue with the AFLPA requesting a fixed percentage of revenue (AFL revenue, not clubs). Ir's a fair, equitable and straight forward way of dealing with this every few years. Gives the players a guarantee as well as the cubs. It's the AFL not wanting to go down this path because they want to spend where and whenever they want. The money pits that are GWS and GCS are two examples. I see noting wrong with a fixed agreed percentage.

The AFL should add some conditions to it though. With a fixed % comes acceptance that the players work for the AFL and not clubs. Transfers to clubs can also be at the clubs initiation rather than needing the player to agree. That would even the current Free Agent trades that are in the players favour. If they want to have fixed like the US sports, have similar trading.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Baloo said:

But putting the % aside for a moment, I have no issue with the AFLPA requesting a fixed percentage of revenue (AFL revenue, not clubs). Ir's a fair, equitable and straight forward way of dealing with this every few years. Gives the players a guarantee as well as the cubs. It's the AFL not wanting to go down this path because they want to spend where and whenever they want. The money pits that are GWS and GCS are two examples. I see noting wrong with a fixed agreed percentage.

The AFL should add some conditions to it though. With a fixed % comes acceptance that the players work for the AFL and not clubs. Transfers to clubs can also be at the clubs initiation rather than needing the player to agree. That would even the current Free Agent trades that are in the players favour. If they want to have fixed like the US sports, have similar trading.

Agree...

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
joegarra said:
Wasn't there a suggestion recently that the AFL would become the employer and pay all the wages?

They already do I believe. The AFL gives the clubs the 100% of the salary cap.

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
Baloo said:

But putting the % aside for a moment, I have no issue with the AFLPA requesting a fixed percentage of revenue (AFL revenue, not clubs). Ir's a fair, equitable and straight forward way of dealing with this every few years.

Sorry, the players are not entitled to a fixed percentage of anything - especially gross revenue - until they also contribute directly to the costs that they impose on the competition. If they want a fixed percentage of gross income then they can ALL pay for the resources that every single club spends on them to improve their personal performance.

If you want to enjoy all of the benefits of being an "Employee" then you accept the same conditions 99.9% of employees in Australia get, and that does NOT include a fixed percentage of gross revenue that the company you work for generates.

If you want to be some sort of business partner slicing a cut off the top of the revenue stream, then you also pay for all of the costs of running your own little business. You can't - and shouldn't - have it both ways.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
David C said:
Sorry, the players are not entitled to a fixed percentage of anything - especially gross revenue - until they also contribute directly to the costs that they impose on the competition. If they want a fixed percentage of gross income then they can ALL pay for the resources that every single club spends on them to improve their personal performance.

If you want to enjoy all of the benefits of being an "Employee" then you accept the same conditions 99.9% of employees in Australia get, and that does NOT include a fixed percentage of gross revenue that the company you work for generates.

If you want to be some sort of business partner slicing a cut off the top of the revenue stream, then you also pay for all of the costs of running your own little business. You can't - and shouldn't - have it both ways.

In your humble opinion of course.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
David C said:

They are entitled to whatever they can negotiate.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
David C said:

Great post.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
David C said:

Of those 99.9% of employees in Australia , how many have to retire after 2-3 years in their profession?
How many of them suffer life long injuries as a direct result of their work?
These guys are also under 24/7 scrutiny as soon as they're drafted, they deserve everything they can get because with out them you don't have a show.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I believe AFL players get paid roughly 23% of revenue and they are asking for a fixed 25%, right? I believe cricket players get 27% of all revenue in their sport and premier league players get close to 60%. with that in mind, AFL players get underpaid compared to other sports. give them their 25%.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Ian4 said:
someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I believe AFL players get paid roughly 23% of revenue and they are asking for a fixed 25%, right? I believe cricket players get 27% of all revenue in their sport and premier league players get close to 60%. with that in mind, AFL players get underpaid compared to other sports. give them their 25%.

As the AFL now own Eddiehead they would earn a lot more revenue than in the past. So assuming your numbers are correct that would be massive for the players in terms of pay.

Also with the soft cap in footy departments being so high, should this be considered as this spend is for the players?

Paul Marsh I don't like him. Seems more suited to working for the united firefighters union. This is going to attract PR that won't be taken too kind by a lot of grassroots supporters. So I hope the players are prepared for this.

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Ian4 said:

And in 6 years time when it is due to be negotiated again what will the % go up to?

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Blind Charlie said:
Of those 99.9% of employees in Australia , how many have to retire after 2-3 years in their profession?
How many of them suffer life long injuries as a direct result of their work?
These guys are also under 24/7 scrutiny as soon as they're drafted, they deserve everything they can get because with out them you don't have a show.

Very few AFL players Have to retire after 2-3 years. If they don't make the grade the contract is not re-newed, pretty much the same as any salaried employee around Australia.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
deedee said:
And in 6 years time when it is due to be negotiated again what will the % go up to?

well I assume the set percentage will be permanent. cricket has been set at 27% for many years.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
deedee said:
Very few AFL players Have to retire after 2-3 years. If they don't make the grade the contract is not re-newed, pretty much the same as any salaried employee around Australia.

Retired, not renewed, the consequences are the same - go and find a new career. Players who do have long careers get well financially rewarded, but often carry the scars and injuries they sustain with them for life.

David's mistake is seeing the AFL as a typical industry - it's not. It's entertainment - so more like A-List movie stars getting a % of the gross take. I certainly don't begrudge the players getting a bigger share of the pie - it's them we go to watch week after week isn't it?

Anyway, like I say - they are entitled to whatever they can negotiate - good luck to 'em.

deedee said:

Whatever they can realistically negotiate.