AFLPA | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLPA

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
David C said:
No one forces people to become paid footballers. The AFLPA want a cut of all GROSS income without any consideration for the costs of running the game and this is ridiculous. The players want all the protections of being employees but be paid as if they are co-owners.
If the AFLPA want a fixed slice of all money coming in then the players can start financing ALL the costs of their overheads which are now paid for by the clubs.

The players themselves can pay for all the resources thrown at them to continuously improve them as individuals so they can earn more money in the industry like all other independent contractors have to do in virtually every other work sector in Australia.

You can either be an employee with all the benefits that go with that status or you can be some sort of contractor taking a big cut but responsible for your own costs - you can't be both.

If you are an AFL player, yes, you can be both and they already are.

It's as simple as this. By getting a cut of gross, effectively the players are part-owners or shareholders - for the period of their playing careers, they get a cut of gross. The fact that there are costs/overheads to develop them as players/individuals is irrelevant - those costs are applied to the overall benefit of both the clubs and the organisation as a whole. Given that there is no business of football without them, and they are putting their bodies on the line, and they have successfully negotiated that position, good luck to them.

As I said before The players are "entitled" to whatever they can negotiate, both in terms of their individual contracts with a specific club or collectively as a % of gross. The parties are close to an agreement. The deal will be done. The contracts will be legally binding. All parties will have entered the arrangement willingly. And the caravan will roll on.