AFLW 2021 Game day thread Tigers games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW 2021 Game day thread Tigers games

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I wrote this after rd1. KB can play, no doubt but she is not a key forward. Too easy to beat in the air and they double team her all the time and the oppo clears the ball way too easy with no pressure from KB
I would play her starting at CHB then play a kick behind the play wherever the ball goes. She will dominate in that role and we will start getting some better ball going inside 50.
I still can’t work out why they haven’t changed her role with the clear evidence KPF isn’t working.
To be fair in r1 Brennan took a bunch of grabs, looked good out manoeuvreing her opponent. But you are right she is mostly double teamed. And we can hit up a target for nix.
Agree i,d shift her to chb.
We look too tall with Fredericks and Wakefield and KB there.

And in further moves i would shift Conti forward. She did well today but we desperately need class and goals when we go forward.
Imo if Conti is forward then her teammates will look for her.
She is too good a footballer for the back pockets and too mobile for the taller backs

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just looking at the stats as the roll across the screen and we matched them almost everywhere, apart from kicking efficiency and essentially tackles outside of 50 (our inside 50 tackles were very good). Both of those I think are in line, dispose of it badly and you invite pressure. Kicking efficiency was 48% which is poor and that was evident from watching it. If we can improve that, then as you say we've got some of those building blocks. Definitely reckon we are wasting Brennan playing as a forward with our inside 50 delivery, she needs to be involved a lot more through the midfield.

Agree, and from the snippets of the game I saw as I was busy, our handball efficiency would be even worse. The number of times one of our players handballed straight to a Melbourne player was terrible. 2 factors here - our player with possession under a lot of pressure, their players well positioned for a ball coming out while ours weren't.

There are some better signs but they are still a long long way from the good teams.

We'll see if we can do well against weaker teams if we ever get to play them.

Brennan to CHB is a damned good idea, they should try it but I suppose with scoring a problem the coaches are trying to fix too many problems at once.

Should also be lobbying for some sort of local competition over the winter as our players clearly need a hell of a lot more game time.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Agree, and from the snippets of the game I saw as I was busy, our handball efficiency would be even worse. The number of times one of our players handballed straight to a Melbourne player was terrible. 2 factors here - our player with possession under a lot of pressure, their players well positioned for a ball coming out while ours weren't.

There are some better signs but they are still a long long way from the good teams.

We'll see if we can do well against weaker teams if we ever get to play them.

Brennan to CHB is a damned good idea, they should try it but I suppose with scoring a problem the coaches are trying to fix too many problems at once.

Should also be lobbying for some sort of local competition over the winter as our players clearly need a hell of a lot more game time.

DS
Hard to play weaker teams, when you’re the weakest team. They’re a long way behind nearly everyone else in the league in most areas. Zips has a point, they need time in a lower league to develop the skills to compete in a higher one. Our AFLW outfit is the Gold Coast Suns of that competition, without a Garry Jr.

Last edited:

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Nothing against any of the girls or anything, but personally - I find it unwatchable.
It’s like junior footy. 10 kids around the ball and very little fast and skillful ball movement. Makes it frustrating to watch.
1 goal in a half of footy is Big M little league like scoring

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Gale needs to make the call on Sheehan also. Before this years draft and trade period.

Reactions: 1 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I didn't mind watching the game but it did remind me of the men pre 2013ish when you would wonder why we didn't get the luck of the bounce or our punches were always to disadvantage. The system just isn't there and there isn't any connection between the players. It's frustrating but they're cracking in so that's an improvement from last year. A win and a little confidence will go a long way for players and coaches. Hopefully it happens this season.

Reactions: 2 users

TASSIETIGER2

Tiger Cub
Mar 29, 2011
Hobart
"Patience is a virtue" it took 37 years to get back to where we belong for the lads. it will all come together in time and when it does, the girls will dominate the comp.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I can't watch Makur Chuot.

She sits up there alongside Tyrone Vickery in terms of players who shirk the contest.

I know it sounds unfair and singular but it stands out a mile to me.. or am I losing my way here?

I know the girls will get better (they already have) but atm too many passengers.

Rather KB play further up the ground. You want ball in her hands more instead of rotting away in the forward line.

Mon Con a superstar.

Gee we are going to fall behind even more not having a VFLW side. Runs the risk of losing connection too :(

Reactions: 1 user